Fantasy Baseball 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Jesus. The scores that our teams are putting up are insane! How does everyone feel about the points that we're all accruing? It almsot seems a little too much.

Being the first league that I started, I need to claim mostly ignorance in developing the point system. When I developed the league, I didn't realize that we would have a 1B, 2B, 3B, SS in addition to the 1B/3B and 2B/SS!!

Holy Jesus. The scores that our teams are putting up are insane! How does everyone feel about the points that we're all accruing? It almsot seems a little too much.

Being the first league that I started, I need to claim mostly ignorance in developing the point system. When I developed the league, I didn't realize that we would have a 1B, 2B, 3B, SS in addition to the 1B/3B and 2B/SS!!

I'm noticing that my position players are putting up very few points and the pitchers are killing it. It doesn't seem right that my position players contribute 35 points as a group and my starters are good for 45+ points each.

I think the biggest problem is you are giving 6.3 points for every IP. Is it too late to adjust the points per category? If not, I would suggest something like:
W=5
L=-3 or -2.5
SV=2
IP=1
HD=1
BS=-1
CG=2
PG=5
ShO=4
Leave the rest the same

As for having a 1B, 2B, 3B, SS and a 1B/3B and a 2B/SS all figuring in the scoring... I have seen a lot of leagues operate that way. If we were a much larger league you could have dropped the last two categories.

I think the biggest problem is you are giving 6.3 points for every IP. Is it too late to adjust the points per category? If not, I would suggest something like:
W=5
L=-3 or -2.5
SV=2
IP=1
HD=1
BS=-1
CG=2
PG=5
ShO=4
Leave the rest the same

As for having a 1B, 2B, 3B, SS and a 1B/3B and a 2B/SS all figuring in the scoring... I have seen a lot of leagues operate that way. If we were a much larger league you could have dropped the last two categories.

Thanks for the suggestions Eagle. I don't want to completely cut in half what the teams will get for pitchers. That would be unfair to the people who saw the scoring and specifically drafted a pitcher-strong team. However, the 6.3 pts per innings pitched I believe is an error. I either didn't think it through initially, or it was glitch. At the end of this week (Sunday night), I'll drop that from 6.3 pts to 2.1 (cut in third).

If anyone has other suggestions, post them up here or on the fantasy page. All changes will be made at the end of the weekly cycle.

Thanks for the suggestions Eagle. I don't want to completely cut in half what the teams will get for pitchers. That would be unfair to the people who saw the scoring and specifically drafted a pitcher-strong team. However, the 6.3 pts per innings pitched I believe is an error. I either didn't think it through initially, or it was glitch. At the end of this week (Sunday night), I'll drop that from 6.3 pts to 2.1 (cut in third).

If anyone has other suggestions, post them up here or on the fantasy page. All changes will be made at the end of the weekly cycle.

Doh! As soon as I saw the scoring system, I dropped backup position players for more pitching....

Sorry about that. You gotta admit though, 6.3 pts per inning pitched is a little ridiculous.

Damnit...I left 62 points on my bench today. You'll never guess how much Im down right now in my match-up

FML!!!!!! I had a big family party yesterday evening and "forgot" to set my schedule for todays final matchup! I have 2 "aces" baker and verlander on my "bench" that's the points I needed to win this final matchup.....

**** it. I'm out. How in the **** can you strategize when a starting pitcher is good for almost 80 points? You fellers' have fun with ur fantasy.

**** it. I'm out. How in the **** can you strategize when a starting pitcher is good for almost 80 points? You fellers' have fun with ur fantasy.

Dude, did you not read the posts from the last few days? There was a glitch in the scoring settings. For some reason (I probably set the scoring rules whilst enjoying some HB), pitchers are getting 6.3 pts per innings pitched. That is being cut down to 2.1 pts per innings pitched.

Sorry if the error caused you any stress. But I was pretty clear that we would work out issues if there were any. This was obviously an issue. We're fixing it.

FML!!!!!! I had a big family party yesterday evening and "forgot" to set my schedule for todays final matchup! I have 2 "aces" baker and verlander on my "bench" that's the points I needed to win this final matchup.....

You still would have lost. Mr. Carpenter of the Cardinals and Mr. McCann of the Braves are making your missed points moot.

Hey ReelAle, why did you drop your entire team? Was that an error?

No error. I'm out. Wanted to make those players available.

Even with the waiver wire, dropping all of your players does nothing but try to ruin the league for the rest of us that are willing to help JohnnyO out and make this a fair league for many seasons. Thanks for being childish about the situation.

You still would have lost. Mr. Carpenter of the Cardinals and Mr. McCann of the Braves are making your missed points moot.

yeah,yeah,yeah I know. Hopefully the moves I just made will make up for it next week.

Even with the waiver wire, dropping all of your players does nothing but try to ruin the league for the rest of us that are willing to help JohnnyO out and make this a fair league for many seasons. Thanks for being childish about the situation.

Seriously. I'm busy now trying to figure out how to save the integrity of the season because of this. Please don't claim any of the players from this debacle.

I've already deleted this guy's ownership. If I can get those guys back on the team somehow, I'll get someone else who was interested in the team.

Seriously. I'm busy now trying to figure out how to save the integrity of the season because of this. Please don't claim any of the players from this debacle.

I've already deleted this guy's ownership. If I can get those guys back on the team somehow, I'll get someone else who was interested in the team.

Please post this in the league chat and maybe e-mail (thru ESPN) everyone.

I posted it in the fantasy baseball message boards on there. So far it looks like I can only reclaim the players once they clear waivers. Ugh.

This sucks. Thanks ReelAle.

Innings Pitched scoring fixed. It's now 2.1 points per inning pitched.

I put in waiver claims a couple hours ago. I was on when he dropped them.

If the players were to be distributed via the waiver it wouldn't necesarily destroy the credibility because it would distribute them evenly by the order of the waiver list. It seams like it would be fair. Also after they were distributed throughout the waiver list the drops that would come from the waivers being signed would then keep distributing out as more waivers. Everything would work itself out.

Leave his team empty and his opponent would be considered as receiving a bye. Or leave Tim Linc. on there and let someone in but they have to pick their teams from the FA's. If I was joining late because I didnt jump to respond to this thread to be part of this then I think a great pitcher like tim linc. plus theres lots of talent out there would be an acceptable "late fee". Take a poll if we want to add another guy to the mix and youll get your answer. As for the players its more than fair to let the waiver list do its job. Besides we were all part of this league from the beginning, match up #2 or match up # 20 I dont think its fair for someone who wasnt part of the draft to come in and take over this pretty great team.

Dc

So here's my dilemma. I put in several "claims" once I saw the Spurs players dropped. I spent quite a bit of time on the league so far and if I decide to "be a good guy" and re tract my claims, what happens if another owner claims one of those players on waivers? I'd be SOL and would lose out on the chance to improve my team.

I think that you need to decide ASAP whats to be done as the waivers will process and this is gonna be a sore subject for alot of other owners...Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for taking the time to put the league together, I'm having a blast after a year "off" of fantasy baseball.

Dave/Othon, you both raise valid points.

What I will do is temporarily set the waiver period to 6 days to allow the rest of league a good amount of time to put in claims on the players, and will send out an email through the ESPN fantasy site.

I've already contacted someone who had interest when we started. If he wants in, he'd have the same access as the rest of us and would start with Lincecum (not too shabby).

Othon, put those claims back in.

Thanks guys. Great idea.

I'm also # 12 of 12 on the waiver order(right behind YOU at #11) Johnny, so its not like I'm gonna get any of the players I wanted

I like that it seems fair and If it was me i would do it because its a free league so its not that bad like hes starting with a huge dis-advantage. Tims high strikeouts should make the difference up real fast lol

Dave/Othon, you both raise valid points.

What I will do is temporarily set the waiver period to 6 days to allow the rest of league a good amount of time to put in claims on the players, and will send out an email through the ESPN fantasy site.

I've already contacted someone who had interest when we started. If he wants in, he'd have the same access as the rest of us and would start with Lincecum (not too shabby).

Othon, put those claims back in.

Thanks guys. Great idea.

Thanks John,
Sounds like it'll work out for the best if the new owner will start from scratch with TL and any/all Free agents. Thanks for being a good league GM!

So we have a new owner for the Spurs. Ray, (FreeM80s on HBT) has taken over the team. It's new name is dirtysouthy'alls FreeM80s. Ray is drafting his team today from the Free Agents list. On Thursday night, I'll be putting him at the top of the waiver order list to give him a chance at the season.

Welcome Ray!

Ok. Stop with the personal attacks and name calling. It's FANTASY baseball, in an INTERNET forum. Sure, you guys are serious about playing, but it's all supposed to be fun. Cut it out.

I claimed some of the Spur's players off of waivers.

Do I need to unclaim them?

Did I screw this up?

I don't claim to understand what went down here, I also don't understand Pogs or Magic - the Gathering.

from the deleted posts:
I seriously don't think he intended to be a ******.

That really should sum it up. i don't think he quit with malice. I think he dropped his players thinking that he was doing everyone a favor. I get why it wasn't and I think he does now too.

Lets leave it at that. I'd hate to close this thread. Then we'd have to call the me a ****** for killing your league.

I don't claim to understand what went down here, I also don't understand Pogs or Magic - the Gathering.

from the deleted posts:

That really should sum it up. i don't think he quit with malice. I think he dropped his players thinking that he was doing everyone a favor. I get why it wasn't and I think he does now too.

Lets leave it at that. I'd hate to close this thread. Then we'd have to call the me a ****** for killing your league.

Exactly. The guy honestly had no idea that dropping all of the players would make things more difficult. It stinks that he got frustrated with the league, but better that it happened in the first week.

Moving on...

I claimed some of the Spur's players off of waivers.

Do I need to unclaim them?

Did I screw this up?

Not at all! Keep your waiver claims in. I set it up so no claims will go through until Friday allowing all members ample time to put in claims as well.

I've been wondering about position "eligiblity" for the past 2 days. When/how many games does a player have to start at a position to be "eligible" for that position in fantasyland? is it a "league" setting or a default setting.

Sorry, I tried to find out and come up blanked

so whats up with the "changes" made to lowering the # of "games played" and "games started" I didn't see any email update as too why these were changed.

I don't recall making a change like that. When I went in on Sunday, I only changed the pts gained from Innings Pitched. I'll look into it.

thanks Johnny. looks like it was fixed.

I went in and bumped up the GP. As I was reading the settings on that page, it looks as though the league automatically adjusts those limits based on how many MLB games are occurring that week. If that's the case, and I just screwed it up, I'll go and fix it next week.

Is it beer o'clock yet?

Back