Fan in Keezer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys that have tap towers like to use fans to blow cold air up into the tower to prevent foamy first pours. Helps keep the beer in the line cold.

Cool air falls and warm air rises and this can lead to temperature stratification if there's no air movement inside the keezer. A fan helps by circulating air and should reduce or eliminate any warm spots inside the keezer.

I think this is especially true because of the collar, which adds a significant amount of un-cooled (i.e., no coils in the collar walls) and often under-insulated space in the upper portion of the keezer, which can create a significant temperature difference between the top and bottom of the keezer.

And if your faucets are in your collar, bringing cool air to the top also cools the shanks and faucets, which may help reduce foaming.

My keezer will freeze the bottom of my Kegs without a fan pushing some of the warm air down (and thus cold air up to the warm collar area). I've wired my fan into the temp controller, so it cycles with the compressor.

Well, here are a few pictures with captions:

Here, you can see the mains coming into the temp controller (far right wire), the 12v supply to the logic circuit (far left wire), and then the tri-tap off the switched side of the controller. Coming out of the tri tap is the supply for the fan (second from left), as well as the factory outlet on the freezer (second from right). Silver cable going upwards is the temperature probe:
IMG_1353.JPG

This is the point were the fan power supply penetrates the collar:
IMG_1349.JPG

And here you can see the fan, simply sitting on the ledge of the freezer , wedged there with a keg. Everything is a tight fit, so not much chance of it falling. I also connected the fan to the power line with in line blade connectors in the event I ever need to disconnect it (these aren't the easiest to get apart and take some care to ensure you don't rip the crimp out, but they're just there 'in case'.) Also, the fan is 'pointed' downward, but the important part is just to keep air moving in any direction.:
IMG_1352.JPG

When a freezer is under "real" conditions, like 0 degrees or lower, the stratification is not an issue (although it occurs) because the food is frozen. To keep our beers all the same temp, a fan is required.

Just get a computer fan, wire it to an old cell phone charger, and put it in the keezer. screw it to the top with a couple of spacers for air, or glue a magnet or two to the edge and stick it to the freezer wall. That way it's always on, not just with the compressor - Otherwise, the keezer only turns on when the probe's 'layer' is warm enough to activate.

That way it's always on, not just with the compressor - Otherwise, the keezer only turns on when the probe's 'layer' is warm enough to activate.

Yeah, I am by no means convinced of the benefit of having it cycle only with the compressor...

My keezer is literally right behind my couch, so the fan got to be a little annoying running constantly. I'm considering purchasing a kill-o-watt to see whether the keezer runs more or less with the fan running constantly vs with the compressor.

(DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware that the power consumption is nominal, in ANY keezer scenario, and that the most important aspect is maintaining temp. - The kill-o-watt is just the simplest method to get the empirical data. - I have no desire to have a 'discussion' on the subject. :mug:)

I would think that the fan running continuously would ensure that the temperature probe is providing a consistent reading. Where do most people mount the temp probe? Towards the top where it's warmer, or towards the bottom where it's cooler??

I am also interested in the mounting location for a temp probe. My new freezer is on its way and will become a keezer in the near future.

Back