F U Allergies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All my life I've never had any issues at all (with allergies).

I turned 32 this year, moved to a new house with lots of tree's, flowers, 2 huge fields surrounding us and all of a sudden I feel like I have a march pump connected to my nose.

I'm thinking I have a cold, but it's been going on for 2 weeks now and I feel fine except for the constant drainage. SWMBO says, "maybe you have allergies".

Afraid she's right but willing to try anything at this point I took a benadryl and I feel better.

My sympathies to all of you out there with allergies, this bites.

Most of my life I spent allergy free. I turned 41 a few years back and developed a cubic buttload of environmental allergies! I went into a histomine treatment plan and now everything is under control.
The doc says that our bodies go through complete metabolic changes roughly every 7 years and mine just decided to be drastic about it.
I can tortally empathize with you!

Most of my life I spent allergy free. I turned 41 a few years back and developed a cubic buttload of environmental allergies! I went into a histomine treatment plan and now everything is under control.
The doc says that our bodies go through complete metabolic changes roughly every 7 years and mine just decided to be drastic about it.
I can tortally empathize with you!

Allergies have nothing to do with your metabolism. They have to do with your immune system deciding something in the environment being seen as a dangerous invader.

I hate allergies, which makes me hate the weather that everyone else thinks is so wonderful. I also can't drink much during allergy season because my sinuses swell up like crazy and give me a pounding sinus headache all day.

I took a benadryl and I feel better.

Benadryl helps, but puts me out so i only ever take it at night.

If your allergies are too severe Costco sells Alliclear. Its pretty cheap, non-drowsy and works pretty good. Maybe try it out.

Keep a shop vac handy, the higher the horsepower the better... when you have high flow, turn that sucker on, seal your nose to it and blow hard....:D

Seven year itch? The good part is in seven years that itch will go away... to be replaced by a new one of course. IJK

I never had allergies either till the last few years and I'm close to 50. For me, honestly I think it is either the yeast, hops or the grain of homebrew... Then again it could be this crappy central CA valley I live in. Some of the worst air in the country. Dear Lord help move me back to Hawaii.

I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in Honolulu with tradewinds blowing clean nice air. I almost forgot how clear the air can be and how healthy you feel when you live in clean clear air. Also the warm sunshine on your skin, it makes you feel healthy. Maybe that's why everyone stays outside and walks around, bikes, motorcycles and mopeds daily. Most are healthy here and live longer lives.

All my life I've never had any issues at all (with allergies).

I turned 32 this year, moved to a new house with lots of tree's, flowers, 2 huge fields surrounding us and all of a sudden I feel like I have a march pump connected to my nose.

I'm thinking I have a cold, but it's been going on for 2 weeks now and I feel fine except for the constant drainage. SWMBO says, "maybe you have allergies".

Afraid she's right but willing to try anything at this point I took a benadryl and I feel better.

My sympathies to all of you out there with allergies, this bites.

Check if you have any very local beekeepers, or consider keeping bees yourself. The honey, taken on a daily basis, can be a good prophylactic as you are getting a lot of the substances from the pollen when you eat the honey. Basically it will get your immune system used to the local stuff in the air and it can solve your problem long term.

Installing higher grade filters in your HVAC system can help a great deal.
Regards, GF.

Make sure your filter doesn't too severely impact the ability of the system to grab the return air. I shoot in between the grades of filters, not best one and not the worst, I get the kind thats one step below the best.

Pretty much during allergy season not only do I wake up feeling like somebody kicked my ass over night (body aches) but usually also have a killer sinus headache too.
Sudaphed is a life saver (not the fake kind, the kind you have to show your drivers license to get from behind the pharmacy counter). But it raises my blood pressure if I take it too many days in a row and I'm already a high stress person who drinks too much coffee.

Nobody has mentioned the Netti pot yet... or as I like to call it the "Self-Water-Boarding Device." When I have to stop taking the sudaphed the Netti pot is the only relief.

All good suggestions. I have mild allergies, thankfully, but some of the OTC allergy drugs work pretty good and can be taken long term. Supplement those with prescription nasal spray or netti pot(Haven't tried, but heard good things) can be helpful.

A high, 4-6 gram daily dose of Elderberry supplements work very well as a natural remedy, especially when combined with a tablespoon of local, raw honey.

For prescription alleviation, try Patanase nasal spray, Pataday eye drops, and/or Singulair tablets. If you're coughing a lot, I highly suggest getting a chest X-ray to make sure you don't have any nodules on your lungs. An allergic cough could also be mistaken for post-nasal drip or acid reflux.

And CLEAN YOUR HOME - Indoor dust is a major factor!

Neil Med sinus wash kit.

My 3 year old is having a tough time with environmental allergies right now. Pediatrician said the CDC announced record levels of allergens this year and that clinics should expect a very high rate of allergy related sicknesses.

He also said that Claritin controls about 40% of what Zyrtec controls.

If you vacuum use the higher quality bags, the "hepa certified" kind they help to not pump the pollen/dust right back out into your house. Also I find running a stand alone air filter helps for the indoor dust issues but your mileage may vary.

I have found that better than any prescription allergy med that the "4-hour Allergy" from wal mart ($4 for 100 pills) that contains the chlorpheniramine maleate works the best for me. Its the dirt cheapest and gives the most bang for my buck.

You guys got me thinking about getting allergy shots again. So I called around to 3 different allergy clinics. Found out how much it would cost to get tested and get regular shots if you don't have insurance (like me, my insurance is pretty much catastrophic only). It was between $450-750 for getting tested and between $50-300 for just a consultation (to see if you need to be tested).
I swear, doctors are the new lawyers. All of them are crooks.

Make sure your filter doesn't too severely impact the ability of the system to grab the return air. I shoot in between the grades of filters, not best one and not the worst, I get the kind thats one step below the best.

It's all about airflow. If you hear a whistle from a new air filter, you need a looser weave.

If you vacuum use the higher quality bags, the "hepa certified" kind they help to not pump the pollen/dust right back out into your house.

Also, vacuum upholstered furnishings.

I swear, doctors are the new lawyers. All of them are crooks.

Yep. Bet a collection settlement would be less than a quarter of that tho'.

I use claritan D 24 hour and Veramist for a nasal spray. The nasal spray is prescription. I feel pretty OK with those two. Suffered with them all my life. Were really bad as a child. Now I'm going to be 29 and they are easing up a bit.

I've been out of town for a few days. Come back and there's all kinds of great suggestions. Thanks everyone!

As for the house filter, I have a very good electronic filter on my HVAC system at home, basically an electrostatic precipitator.

We also have a central vac system which has a hepa filter on it as well. The canister is out of the living space, so even the dust/ allergens that are collected are far from the livable area's. SWMV does so almost daily, bless her heart.

I bought the house from a couple of wealthy old people with lung issues 3 months ago, so the conditioned air in the house is definitely above par. lol

We have close to 50 full grown tree's on our 3/4 acre lot, and they are going full bore on the pollen production.

This sure seems like a record year for allergies, it seems to be affecting lots of people I know that usually don't have any problems this time of year.

We have close to 50 full grown tree's on our 3/4 acre lot, and they are going full bore on the pollen production.

This is why I really want to get allergy tested to see what trees get me the worst. We just bought a house and there is little to no landscaping so I wanted to put in a few trees but I figure I should probably find out what trees I'm allergic to and NOT get those type of trees.

My dad had that test done 5 years or so ago, and turns out he was/is allergic to Oak.

Ironically there's probably 20+ oak tree's on my property. So it has me wondering if his allergy to oak could be genetically passed on to me.

Back