F bomb!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
My entire stockpile of homebrews over the past six months are exploding because the dumb maintenance guy at my apartment complex failed to properly repair my air conditioning today. F***! Thats about 120 bottles. Im so mad and no one is going to replace all of the time, effort, and money that went into this.

You should tell the maintenance guy he owes you about $400 worth of craft beer. And you might want to look on craigslist for a free fridge for extra storage space ASAP

I managed to dunk all the beers into slightly cooler water for a few minutes and then moved them all into my fridge. I lined the bottom of the fridge with a towel in case some more pop on me. Now Im most worried about the bottles that have only been carbing for 3 days from my recent batch. I bottled those brews on Friday night. Will the cold so soon keep these bottles from carbing more when I can return them to room temp? I hope not. Or will a couple tips of the bottles wake the yeasties to find the remaining priming sugar?

Your bottles should not be exploding due to higher temperatures. Need some information:

- What was the OG and FG of the beer?
- Are you sure fermentation completed? Was the gravity consistent over a few days?
- How much priming sugar did you use?
- Did you properly distribute the priming sugar in your bottling bucket?
- Are you sure you don't have an infection?

Your bottles should not be exploding due to higher temperatures. Need some information:

- What was the OG and FG of the beer?
- Are you sure fermentation completed? Was the gravity consistent over a few days?
- How much priming sugar did you use?
- Did you properly distribute the priming sugar in your bottling bucket?
- Are you sure you don't have an infection?

+1 to this, I would not expect bottle bombs from just a higher temp.

Strange because all of my different brews exploded. Ones that have been bottled 5 months and ones that had been bottled 3 days. Im in Arizona and Im sure the temp reached well over 110F over the last 3 days of no AC. Ive never had bursting bottles until this unexpected heat and Ive never had this happen. My FG was consistent at 1.012 over 3 days after visual fermentation activity ended. I used a cup of corn sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch of Coopers Mexican Cervesa.. But even my 5 month old Cherry Wheats started bursting. Im not sure if any of my English Brown Ales exploded though.

My home AC was out for nearly 5 days recently. It got to be 96F in the house. None of my closet stored assorted home brews exploded.

Today the skies cleared up and the rain was done so Im thinking the temp in my apartment pushed my little yeasties to the brink. Up until today it had been a tad cooler here probably around your 96F but it was probably hotter in my second story apartment with no AC, no swamp cooler or anything to lower the temps. At least my bottles stopped exploding. Now how about the conditioning of the 3 day bottled beers? Will the fact that I had to chill them keep me from being able to take them out and age them more when Im able to take them out of the fridge?

none of those bottles should be exploding. i have never had a bomb and don't cold condition anything. if they explode, you did something wrong and should revamp your sanitation and priming methods.

I agree with the others, likely you bottled too soon or the warm temperatures were able to cause an infection to start eating any remaining sugars.

+1 to the not exploding thing. I have an old batch of grand cru that is out in my garage. It has been there all summer and almost half of the days here in richmond have been 99+ degrees this summer. I haven't had any explosions either.

I left two cases of homebrew in my trunk in July for a week and I live in the Southeast. None of them exploded. I wouldn't blame the maintenance man.

I used a cup of corn sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch of Coopers Mexican Cervesa.. But even my 5 month old Cherry Wheats started bursting. Im not sure if any of my English Brown Ales exploded though.

Did you use a full cup for the cherry wheat and brown as well? If so I think you might be overdoing your priming. First of all, cups are not a good measuring unit for your priming sugar as the mass of it depends on how hard you pack it. Secondly, if you are going to be doing cups, 3/4 cup is closer to what you want to use. Finally, you probably have less than 5 gallons after racking into your bottling buckets, so that throws your values off, too. Get a cheap scale that does grams and download/find a carbonation calculator... BeerSmith has a good one and it's just an overall good program. For instance, it says for a 5 gallon batch, to carbonate to ~12vol CO2 you need 2.8oz of corn sugar.... far less than a cup.

If priming isn't the case, I'm leaning towards infection. What are your sanitation processes?

agreed, sorry, it wasn't your maintenance man's fault. I'd still be pissed though about him not fixing the AC when it's 100+ outside!!

Explosion or not, you should definitely get a dedicated beer fridge. 110F is way too warm to store beer. Keeping your beer that warm will cause to have a much shorter shelf life.

Now how about the conditioning of the 3 day bottled beers? Will the fact that I had to chill them keep me from being able to take them out and age them more when Im able to take them out of the fridge?

I agree with everyone here that it's most likely not the high temps, but rather over priming or infection. Yes, higher temps does increase the pressure in the bottle, but not enough to pop them. There's something else going on.

And, to answer your question, you shouldn't have a problem, unless you freeze the beer. The yeast will just "go to sleep" in the fridge, and when you take them out and warm them up, they'll start to wake up if there's food present. It sounds like there's plenty of food, so you'll be fine there. I can't say whether or not you'll have bottle bombs once that happens though.

Contrary to popular opinion of those that have been doing this longer then me but my brewing experience leads me to agree with the OP. I recently had a similar issue (my AC worked, just not that well), I wasn't checking my storage closet as I should and discovered that it had been 95+ for maybe a week at a time shortly after I bottled. I am not sure when bottles started blowing but I found that a newer batch had 2 broken. I had three different batches recently bottled in there and at least 3 others that were up to 3 months old. All my priming sugars are added in the same fashion, 3/4c boiling water to dissolve, cooled, added to bottle bucket and beer racked in a whirlpool over it.

All FG tested for 3 days.

(New Ones about 2 weeks in the bottle)
Bass Clone (Extract)- OG-1.044 FG-1.011, 4 oz corn sugar, Primary for 10 days, Secondary for 18 days

Dunkelweizen (PG)- 1.046-1.010, 4.5 oz corn sugar, Primary-21 days

Sweet Stout (AG)- 1.055-1.014, 4 oz corn sugar, Primary 28 days

(Old Ones)

California Steam (PG)- 1.050-1.011, 5 oz corn sugar, Primary 7 days, Secondary 14 days, Bottled 12 weeks

Dunkelweizen (PG)- 1.048-1.011, 4.5 oz corn sugar, Primary-21 days, Bottled 8 weeks

Strawberry Blonde (AG)- 1.042-1.010, 5 oz corn, Primary 28 days, bottled 5 weeks

I can guarantee absolute sanitation, I work in the medical field and was a surgical assistant for 2 years.

Over the course of the next week or so I did some experimentation. I first moved some bottles around my house. Two of each kind went the the following places: refrigerator, kitchen counter, and hallway with the closet. The rest remained in place with the door closed.

My results were another couple broken bottles in the closet after 2 days, so I cracked the door. 3 days later broken bottle in the closet again, this time I put a fan in the door way blowing in. No other bottle busted and the closet ones stopped after I added the fan. All the beers tested were WAY over carb-ed, I mean I get about 6-9 oz. out of one bottle and have to open it 10 minutes in advance for the foam to die down. Bottles that came out of the closet when I first made the find seem to have more beer remaining after all the foaming (the most coming from the ones in the fridge). This effect happened across all my beers not just the freshly bottled ones.

My conclusion was the higher temps caused the yeasts to get a bit more active then they should have (even bringing some out of dormancy.) Which makes sense because highly active yeast ferment at a faster less efficient rate so we make efforts to ferment at lower temps to prevent off flavors. This faster less effective rate of consumption produced more CO2 then desired. Also to a possibly minor point if the excess CO2 pressure had my bottle at near the bursting pressure an increase in temperature would mean an increase in pressure (Boyle's Law) causing the explosion.

Need less to say with in a week have a shiny new (at least to me) fermentation chamber / bottle refrigerator. Good luck to the OP, it sucks to loose good beer.

I can guarantee absolute sanitation, I work in the medical field and was a surgical assistant for 2 years.

EDIT: What sanitizer do you use?
How are your cleaning processes? Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick or seem rude/judgmental... just trying to get a handle on the situation you and the OP are dealing with.

- Your sanitation may be excellent but are you using PBW/oxyclean?
- Plastic buckets or glass carboys?
- If buckets, is there a spigot or other hard to clean areas?

Infection can come from crud left over in hard to clean areas but if you're using plastic you run the risk of infection due to even the tiniest scratch; bacteria can live in there and it's surprisingly difficult to kill the infection completely.

My results were another couple broken bottles in the closet after 2 days, so I cracked the door. 3 days later broken bottle in the closet again, this time I put a fan in the door way blowing in. No other bottle busted and the closet ones stopped after I added the fan. All the beers tested were WAY over carb-ed, I mean I get about 6-9 oz. out of one bottle and have to open it 10 minutes in advance for the foam to die down. Bottles that came out of the closet when I first made the find seem to have more beer remaining after all the foaming (the most coming from the ones in the fridge). This effect happened across all my beers not just the freshly bottled ones.

Sorry, this may be a stupid question, but did you put the beers in the fridge for a day or two before opening them? Could be the cause of your foaming. However, the bold sentence indicates that since they're all overcarbed regardless of storage it's likely infection or some other problem. CO2 dissolves into solution much better at colder temperatures but beer bottles are pretty sturdy and should be able to hold the pressure of a properly carbed beer.

I have to agree with the others. If your bottles are going boom, it's the brewer's fault, not the super's. If there isn't sugar in there for the yeast to eat, they aren't going to have anything to eat, no matter what the temperature is. Has to be overprimed, underattenuated or infected. Heat isn't going to make yeast magically start converting sugar that isn't there.

No worries, getting help is always better then ego.

Sanitation- I clean all plastic items with OxyClean Free and a dedicated soft sponge, and I never put anything in plastic other then plastic. The moist sponge is microwaved for 5 minutes before and after the day's usage to steam kill what I can. I am kind of particular about my things. On brew/bottle days I make up a couple gallons of Star-San at the dilution rates on the label that everything gets soaked in for at least 15 minutes, and sprayed down just before each handling. Bottles are OxyCleaned with a bottle brush, rinsed, Star-Saned and air dried. Caps are soaked in Star-San, pulled out and put in the bottle just after filling.

All primary's are Ale Pails and Secondary is glass carboy all cleaned before and after every use. The bottling bucket is the only spigot that I take off and brush out with a soft brush and soak in Star-San.

I have bottles in the fridge right now that have been there for several weeks and still come out over carbed.

If this is an infection what confuses me is I have a few bottles of my first few beers (not listed) that are affected. I will open my last bottle of my first beer from Oct09 to see if it acts in the same fashion. It's met it's shelf life anyway.

Edit: It also seems highly coincidental that I haven't had a burst bottle in over 3 weeks since taking measures to cool the ambient temp around them. Maybe a slight miss calculating sugar requirements and that whole Mass/Pressure/Temperature thing as done our brews in.

Its not been mentioned yet. You aren't using twist-offs, right? They are thin and much weaker bottles.

Lets think about this...CO2 will come out solution as it gets warmer. Logically as it gets warmer more will come out of solution as it does this the pressure increases up to equilibrium and stops meanwhile holding pressure or it bursts. I could see this happening with beers that are over-carbed but not necessarily gushers when cold.

I have never heard extreme heat causing this. If I was a betting man I say overcarbing is the most likely culprit here. Couple it with extreme heat, I hate to think of it. :(

I'd buy a scale and weigh all your sugar. Money well spent.

Use this calculator: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

scanning through here quickly, but wanted to add that higher temps can absolutely cause a bottle to explode. I'm not saying that there isn't something else going on, but if you look at the carb charts for kegging, you can see what I mean.

As a beer gets warmer, it becomes less able to keep CO2 in solution. So, the head-space in the bottle will be increasing in pressure as the beer warms up.

Just curious, you never heat sanitize your bottles in the oven or dishwasher do you?

heating/cooling over and over will weaken the glass and expose any imperfection in the manufacturing process.

its not like there's wicked quality control on bottles.

I wasnt blaming anyone except the maintenance for letting my place get so hot. I keep my beer stored in bottles in a closet at 75 degrees. AC broke, wasnt fixed, beer got hotter than usual. About 8 bottles exploded on me until I got them into cool water and into the fridge and the bottles stopped exploding. I use that Starsan sanitizer and maybe someones right about over priming. I typically boil 2 cups of water and mix in a cup of corn sugar loosely sprinkled into a measuring cup. Then I rack the beer onto the priming solution while calmly stirring with a large spoon. Ill just be more careful in the future.

I wasnt blaming anyone except the maintenance for letting my place get so hot. I keep my beer stored in bottles in a closet at 75 degrees. AC broke, wasnt fixed, beer got hotter than usual. About 8 bottles exploded on me until I got them into cool water and into the fridge and the bottles stopped exploding. I use that Starsan sanitizer and maybe someones right about over priming. I typically boil 2 cups of water and mix in a cup of corn sugar loosely sprinkled into a measuring cup. Then I rack the beer onto the priming solution while calmly stirring with a large spoon. Ill just be more careful in the future.

Get a kitchen scale- they're like $5-8. Weigh your sugar. Believe me, a "cup" of corn sugar can be a very large amount. I use 4 ounces by weight for 5 gallons of beer. It's not very much, I'd say far less then a loosely filled measuring cup. Probably about 2/3 of a cup, if I had to guess.

Edit- I just googled it and "they" say a cup of sugar weighs from 7-8 ounces. If that's true, you're using twice as much priming sugar as I am. That could explain some explosions in hot weather.

I also dont leave ANY headroom when I bottle because I dont want oxidation and too many of my early brews were light on carbonation because Id leave an inch of headspace before capping. So the lack of headspace and the liquid trying to release the Co2 in the higher temps may have been the issue. So many factors could have taken part in this one.

I also dont leave ANY headroom when I bottle because I dont want oxidation and too many of my early brews were light on carbonation because Id leave an inch of headspace before capping. So the lack of headspace and the liquid trying to release the Co2 in the higher temps may have been the issue. So many factors could have taken part in this one.

bingo...this could be a major part of your issue headspace is needed for proper c02 absorbtion to avoid excessive pressures and if your worried about oxidation use the oxy caps

bingo...this could be a major part of your issue headspace is needed for proper c02 absorbtion to avoid excessive pressures and if your worried about oxidation use the oxy caps

Well, a certain amount of headspace is needed for carbonation. Not too much, not too little. I wonder if you started using too much priming sugar because you don't leave enough headspace? If you're using 8 ounces of priming sugar, and leaving no headspace in the bottles, I'm surprised your first bottle bombs just happened. You've been lucky so far.

Wish someone would have told me before. LMAO. I was taught to fill the bottles all the way to the top, by multiple homebrewers, because air is our enemy lol So the combination of the heat and no headspace probably did it then. So is it a general rule of thumb to leave the space left behind when I remove the bottling wand? Ive been topping every bottle off thus far.

Wish someone would have told me before. LMAO. I was taught to fill the bottles all the way to the top, by multiple homebrewers, because air is our enemy lol So the combination of the heat and no headspace probably did it then.

No, I still think it's because of about twice the priming sugar the rest of us use. The heat just finally put it over the edge.

Well Im very appreciative of everyone's insights. Thanks to all. The AC is working great and now I have well over 100 brews nice and chilled in my fridge to enjoy at will. Shall I keep all of this brew cold henceforth and next time use less sugar and leave headspace?

Wish someone would have told me before. LMAO. I was taught to fill the bottles all the way to the top, by multiple homebrewers, because air is our enemy lol So the combination of the heat and no headspace probably did it then. So is it a general rule of thumb to leave the space left behind when I remove the bottling wand? Ive been topping every bottle off thus far.

If you're using a bottling wand, typically if you fill the bottle all the way to the point beer is coming out the top, once you pull the wand out of the bottle you'll have the perfect amount of head space for your beer. No need to top up or make any other adjustments.

Will do. I ran out of bottles for my current brew so I racked it to secondary to buy me some time until I can empty more bottles ;) I will purchase a scale and use that calculator when that time arrives.

Back