Extract to change alcohol%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskooter

Reaction score
This may be a dumb post. I am curious though. If I am using an extract kit that calls for 1 4lb liquid malt extract , can I add perhaps another bag to make the alcohol% higher. Or will it just ruin the recipe. How do I raise the alcohol% of kits that I buy when brewing?

Yes you can but you need to equally add additional hops. I you only add extra malt it would make it finish more malty and there wouldn't be hoppy enough. Also make sure you pitch enough yeast "make a yeast starter".

I am a newbie with 2 brews under my belt. The first was an imperial porter that I dove into head first. The second, I took it a little easier and decided to brew a basic light ale(which came with my brew kit). How can I up the alcohol% without ruining the overall outcome of some of these extract recipe kits

How much are you looking to bump the abv? A few points? just add more fermentables sugar/Honey ect. If you are looking for more I would say tack on a pound or two of extract to your next order and add it in the boil. There are plenty of brew calculators on the internet if that will tell you how much 1lb of extract will yield per gallon if you do a search.

19% RIS in a 2 stage.
a low alcohol tolerant ale yeast to take care of the malolactic fermentation
then racked onto a slurry of lalvin 1116 and raised to 85 degrees, stepped additions of nutrient, corn sugar.

was undrinkable for 18 months, then wonderful.

Back