Experience with Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alzybob

Reaction score
My darling wife my have inadvertantly introduced me into a new consuming hobby when she bought me a home brew kit for christmas. Im having a blast reading all the great advice on her and am excited about all the different beers I can't wait to try (but Ive read enough on here already to know Patience will be more important than my enthusiasm.)

So my question is this, I love beer, always have. Im a lager or pils drinker. Love continually trying various beers of the world and have favs like, Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen and of course Weissbier in particular and once Ive gone through the brew that came with the kit, thats my next mission. BUT - I have no experience what so ever of even drinking BITTER - which is what came with the kit. Im in Ireland, which for those who know a map will know its next door to England, where Bitters and Ales are very popular, unlike Ireland where Lager, Stout and Cider would be the most popular. So I find myself trying to determine what my beer "should" taste like without knowing. Sounds laughable crazy even reading it. Anyways.....

Heres the actual product
http://www.tesco.com/direct/brewbuddy-starter-kit-bitter/207-4096.prd

Here is what Ive done:
Primary for 10 days in 5 Gal drum at 18-21 deg Celcius, went by instructions and so bottled all 5 Galons and stored for 2 days at room temp in the house. Then again in accordance with instructions moved the bottles to an outside shed to keep cold for 2 weeks. Its winter and so temps averaged about 5deg Cel. Then I tried one. Yuck and zero Carb. So I started reading here and learned how my yeast needed to be woken up so I took them in doors (back into house at avg 20-21 deg Cel. Ive also shaken them once or twice but they have only been in doors for 2 days now. Dont get me wrong. Im in no hurry, just keen to do the best thing over the coming days/weeks but then again, unlike Lager, I dont know what Bitter "should" taste like. Maybe this weekend Ill try find a Bitter in the shop, but its not popular at all in Ireland.
All coments greatly appreciated.

You probably saw in your reading that you'll need to keep your beer at room temperature for 2-3 weeks after bottling to get them carbonated before chilling and serving.

I'm a fan of bitter personally, especially the one from my local brewpub, but I'm in the States and that won't be much help for you. They tend to be more earthy than the typical American Pale Ale. They can also get a little darker...copper to amber in color, but still without the darker flavors. Light bodied, light carbonation, very easy drinking.

I've made single hop versions with Brewer's Gold, Kent Goldings, and Fuggles, and enjoyed all of them. Usually with White Labs 013 London Ale yeast (a la Worthington White Shield).

Thanks Abrix, i simply dont understand why the manufacturer gives such misleading information on the 2-3 week temp advice once bottled. Contradicts everything Ive read here.

Latest posts

Back