Exactly what I was looking for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trencher

Reaction score
I brewed my fifth batch a couple days ago and my OG reading was low... familiar story, right? The wonderful friend who introduced me to homebrewing also gave me a link here when I started asking questions and looking for recipes, so I decided to check for info about calculating expected OG for extract brews. It wasn't hard to find plenty of others asking the same questions and lots of great answers.

Thanks for all the great info, and I look forward to asking lots of questions myself!

I don't know the screen name of my brewing mentor, probably Rob-something. He went through all the bad batches for me so I knew to start out using a full boil, wort chiller, and secondary fermentation/aging. Eventually I will probably follow his footsteps into all-grain brewing, but extract is so easy and so good... We live in Raleigh, NC, and have a wonderful LHBS- www.americanbrewmaster.com.

My first batch was a Bells Two Hearted IPA clone. It came out so well I've had a really hard time not drinking it all, but I want to share it with everyone I know too.

For the second batch I wanted to do something smoky- my wife loves rauchbier- and made an American wheat with 1 lb. smoked malt for her birthday party. Everyone loved it but the smoke flavor wasn't as pronounced as I wanted so I've been considering a smoked mini-mash for the next version.

Just bottled my 3rd batch last weekend, an Irish Red. Can't wait to taste it! I brewed it as a birthday gift for a friend but already know I'll have a hard time giving half of it away.

The 4th was a collaborative effort between my wife, sister-in-law, and myself, a chocolate and ginger imperial stout. I was afraid it would blow the top off my fermenter once it got started! After some reading here I fear I racked it to secondary a bit early as it still had some foam on top, but I feel sure it will be great in a few months.

Right now there's a Scottish Export in my fermenter and plans for another IPA in my head. The first IPA was so good I have trouble coming up with any changes to make, but I would like it to be a bit clearer.

Woot! Homebrew!! :tank:

Latest posts

Back