etwTopping Carboys with Frozen Juice Been Red Wine Rackings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Run

Reaction score
The Correct Title: Topping Carboys with Frozen Juice Between Red Wine Rackings

Hi All,

I am making a zinfandel red wine and have a gallon of frozen juice I am considering to thaw at times to top carboys with between rackings. Any thoughts on this practice? Best practices?

They primary is completed on skins, will pitch a ML culture tomorrow and press Saturday. Plan to oak as well.

Best,

Chris

I am guessing the frozen is also zinfandel? Just remember that adding unfermented juice to "top off" can lead to refermentation. You could fine yourself in a situation where you add MORE lees than what you racked off of! I prefer to not top off, and bottle age, or top off with wine.

Hope this helps!

I am guessing the frozen is also zinfandel? Just remember that adding unfermented juice to "top off" can lead to refermentation. You could fine yourself in a situation where you add MORE lees than what you racked off of! I prefer to not top off, and bottle age, or top off with wine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback. After further consideration, in order to avoid what you mention and reduce excessive brett risk due to too much residual sugar, I am going to ferment the remaining gallon or so to use for topping off in the future. Should be good! -- Chris

Latest posts

Back