Estimated O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
I tried my hand at a cyser a few weeks back. When I mixed the honey and juice I didn't know I was suppose to mix it until the honey was in solution. A hydro sample I took said 1.067, but something tells me this is substantially lower seeing as how it was 5 gallons of apple juice and 10 pounds of honey. Does anyone have a general range from experince as to what the O.G. might have been. I don't really have to know the exact O.G., but it would be nice to know what kind of approximate ABV I'm working with once it finishes up down the road.

Thanks.

I think one pound of honey will add about 35 points to one gallon. So, 10 pounds in 5 gallons would be 70 points more or less.

Apple juice varies greatly- from 1.030-1.060 I believe. If you could find a sample of the original juice you used, that would probably be best. Otherwise you'd have to estimate it as somewhere in the middle. I'd go with 1.050 if I had to guess. So, I'd guess an OG of 1.120ish.

Back