ESB = Extra Special Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezeblade

Reaction score
So I was thinking what styles would work well to turn into a braggot, and considering what materials I had at the house for an impromptu brew day, and thought of it, what about an ESB done as a braggot? the obsticals in this brew are mouth-feel, head, and malty-ness, so I opened up brewsmith and decided to take a stab at it. here's what I came up with: (5 gallons with a 60% brewhouse eff)

Extra Special Braggot:

2.25# Marris Otter
10 oz CaraPils
8 oz Biscuit Malt
8 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Aromatic Malt
5 # orange blossom honey
1 oz EKG (hop tea method)
.5 oz EKG (Dry Hop in carboy)
S-04 Yeast

Mash the Grain Bill at 156 for an hour, sparge as normal, cool to blood warm, Add honey and hop tea. Transfer to carboy and pitch yeast. Dry Hop in secondary.

What do you guys think? any corrections/suggestions?

So I was thinking what styles would work well to turn into a braggot, and considering what materials I had at the house for an impromptu brew day, and thought of it, what about an ESB done as a braggot? the obsticals in this brew are mouth-feel, head, and malty-ness, so I opened up brewsmith and decided to take a stab at it. here's what I came up with: (5 gallons with a 60% brewhouse eff)

Extra Special Braggot:

2.25# Marris Otter
10 oz CaraPils
8 oz Biscuit Malt
8 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Aromatic Malt
5 # orange blossom honey
1 oz EKG (hop tea method)
.5 oz EKG (Dry Hop in carboy)
S-04 Yeast

Mash the Grain Bill at 156 for an hour, sparge as normal, cool to blood warm, Add honey and hop tea. Transfer to carboy and pitch yeast. Dry Hop in secondary.

What do you guys think? any corrections/suggestions?
I was thinking about making a braggot myself and your recipe sounds interesting. I'm thinking of upping the mash temp because of how fermentable the honey is, maybe 160 deg? I have 5lbs of honey and could use the yeast cake from a 1968 Wyeast that I need to transfer off an ESB.

Well, it's been in primary 4 days now, no signs of slowing down. I think it might turn out too dry from the mash temp, but I'm hoping that the carapils will help that, I can't wait to try the hydrometer sample, it smells great. I ended up scrapping the hop tea thing and just doing a full 60min boil with hop additions at 60, 30, and 0. I also took the Aromatic out and replaced it with Special B

I personally wouldn't try an ESB or other more heavily hopped style for a braggot. Honey aroma and flavor tends ferment out of a braggot anyway and I feel that heavier hopped styles will kill any honey essence that may remain. For that reason I prefer maltier styles for braggots. It takes experimentation though, and you can decide for yourself whether you prefer one style over another.

i work at a brew pub and we do a golden ale braggot and i must say the honey flavour is strong. The brewer says about honey is that the amount of sugar isn't always the same so it can be difficult to hit your target FG.

I totally agree with king. the honey aroma comes through in my braggots strong and true. solstice are you boiling your honey? that might lead to less honey flavor. i add my honey after the boil is done but while the wort is still hot.

Back