Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Flyers went nuts...they're going to need a chemistry camp before training camp starts...and everyone is going to need to wear name tags at the introduce yourself luncheon.

Out:
Richards (traded)
Carter (traded)
O'Donnell (FA)
Carcillo (FA)
Leino (FA)
Versteeg (traded)
Powe (traded)
Boucher (FA)

In:
Jagr
Voracek
Talbot
Lilja
Bryzgalov
Braydon Schenn (From LA for Richards)
Wayne Simmonds (From LA for Richards)
Sean Couturier (8th overall pick in 2011, pick came from Columbus for Carter)
Nick Cousins (68th overall, 3rd rounder in 2011, pick came from Columbus for Carter)
2nd Rounder in either 2012 or 2013 (for Versteeg)
3rd Rounder in 2012 (for Versteeg)
3rd Rounder in 2013 (for Powe)
Undisclosed draft pick (from LA for Richards)

The Flyers went nuts...they're going to need a chemistry camp before training camp starts...and everyone is going to need to wear name tags at the introduce yourself luncheon.

Out:
Richards (traded)
Carter (traded)
O'Donnell (FA)
Carcillo (FA)
Leino (FA)
Versteeg (traded)
Powe (traded)
Boucher (FA)

In:
Jagr
Voracek
Talbot
Lilja
Bryzgalov
Braydon Schenn (From LA for Richards)
Wayne Simmonds (From LA for Richards)
Sean Couturier (8th overall pick in 2011, pick came from Columbus for Carter)
Nick Cousins (68th overall, 3rd rounder in 2011, pick came from Columbus for Carter)
2nd Rounder in either 2012 or 2013 (for Versteeg)
3rd Rounder in 2012 (for Versteeg)
3rd Rounder in 2013 (for Powe)
Undisclosed draft pick (from LA for Richards)

I don't see how that's much of an improvement however.

rjwhite41 said:
I don't see how that's much of an improvement however.

As a Penguins fan, I am pretty happy with their moves. The Pens didn't do crap but they are never going to get better players than they already have. A scoring wing would be nice tho.

As a Penguins fan, I am pretty happy with their moves. The Pens didn't do crap but they are never going to get better players than they already have. A scoring wing would be nice tho.

Resigning Kennedy was a smart move. I was surprised to see Talbot go. With Malkin back healty you should have a pretty good scoring wing right there. Speaking of wings, the Red Wings got Ian White today. Good pick up for a good price I think. So despite my earlier statement, I think the D did get better than last year. I'm guessing they sign Conklin next and that will be it for this year, unless of course someone wants to take Hudler off our hands (or maybe Filpula).

I think every single transaction that went through this FA period has been overpayment. The players won this round for sure. The Penguins wasted money on a couple potential bums. And paid to much to keep a coupe of their guys but thats what they had to do. Keeping the status quo with not a lot of amazing players available is the right thing imo. The big spenders here will be the losers imo. Rangers and Flyers.

With Malkin back healty you should have a pretty good scoring wing right there.

Malkin's our second line center, not a winger...plays with Crosby every once in a while, but certainly not enough to call him a wing...

I'm hoping we'll get more out of James Neal this year, now that's he's had some time to gel with the team...

kbuzz said:
Malkin's our second line center, not a winger...plays with Crosby every once in a while, but certainly not enough to call him a wing...

I'm hoping we'll get more out of James Neal this year, now that's he's had some time to gel with the team...

Actually he plays a ton of wing. The system is not cut and dry positionally. Even the d-men are often in the position of a forward. Anyway they will probably try havig Staal as center for Malkin again this year. They never really got the chance last year.

Technically, he is a center, you are right. But as stated above he also plays a lot of wing. When I've seen the Pens play he's on the wing as much as he is center. If I remember correctly, in the back to back finals against Detroit, he was on the same line as Crosby most of time. But I drink too much and it's been too long so maybe I'm misremembering. He's much better as a wing than center imo anyway. Regardless, with your stars healthy you should regain your scoring touch next year and I think the rest of the team probably had to grow up quite a bit to win without them. The Pens should be solid next year.

Blues signed Brian Elliott to a 2-way deal for $600,000. I guess they don't want to spend much of the future new owner's money. I wouldn't think someone with that much experience would sign so cheap.

rjwhite41 said:
Technically, he is a center, you are right. But as stated above he also plays a lot of wing. When I've seen the Pens play he's on the wing as much as he is center. If I remember correctly, in the back to back finals against Detroit, he was on the same line as Crosby most of time. But I drink too much and it's been too long so maybe I'm misremembering. He's much better as a wing than center imo anyway. Regardless, with your stars healthy you should regain your scoring touch next year and I think the rest of the team probably had to grow up quite a bit to win without them. The Pens should be solid next year.

They were pretty amazing defensively and goal tending all year. Add Malkin and Crosby to that and I don't know how they can fail. My only issue is I feel like the PP will still not get solved.

Blues signed Brian Elliott to a 2-way deal for $600,000. I guess they don't want to spend much of the future new owner's money. I wouldn't think someone with that much experience would sign so cheap.

The only problem with Brian Elliot is that, as a goalie, he is supposed to stop more shots than he lets in, which just isn't happening for him.

LOL @ St. Louis.

Elliot is a sieve. I wouldn't trust him to keep my one eyed uncle out of the booze at a girl scout camp, let alone keeping pucks out of an NHL net.....

He was cheap, just like the current ownership. They've got a kid who's supposed to be a comer but they don't want make him the backup before he proves himself.

After the season Hudler had, I don't think they could give him away. I think our best hope is that he gets comfortable being in the NHL again and starts to play like he did before he left.

"They" have started talking about prospect camp and you know Centre Ice is just around the corner. I'm starting to get excited for the new season already.

May be the last season we're in the West...

I like the grit and outright nasty that the Hawks have added.
Their convention is going on now. I heard an interview with big John Scott earlier.
Notes:
He is hilarious in an interview. That will be good for his press box scratch nights.
Said he will likely go with Big Mac when Hawks play Pens in preseason. (but says Mac does concern him)
Said that before he and Torres got booted from the game he was going to jump him.
When he put that brutal beatdown on Alex Bolduc, Bolduc ended up with 2(!!!!) separated shoudlers and broken eye socket.
Said he didn't like to talk too much about the death of Derek Boogaard as they were good friends and John said it choked him up.
(Miss you Champ!!!!)
Also saw a quote from him on Carcillo, saying something along the lines of letting Carcillo do his thing and Scott will back him up.

I LOVE skilled hockey! (Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Hammer, Leddy)
I LOVE some NASTY too! (Scott, Carcillo, Montador, O'Donnell, Mayers [Bickell & Seabrook if need be])

beatdown mentioned above: (I blame AV for this poor kid getting beaten out of the NHL)

(just watched again and saw the Boogeyman sitting in the penalty box. you are missed Derek, so sorry for his friends and family)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe the news about Lokomotiv's plane crash and I can't believe nothing has been said on here yet. Losing a lot of guys this year.

As sad as it is, I am looking forward to another NHL season. I really want to start of the trash talking right and say "bless the jets", but in all reality I still love the guys on the team. I can still laugh at Winnipeg fans though

1) Because they live in Winnipeg...
2) Looks like some 10 yr. old kid picked "create a team" in NHL '06 and made those jerseys. I didn't like the Thrashers blueland jerseys, but atleast they were unique. You've been waiting how long to get a team back and thats the best you can do??

I can't believe the news about Lokomotiv's plane crash and I can't believe nothing has been said on here yet. Losing a lot of guys this year.

As sad as it is, I am looking forward to another NHL season. I really want to start of the trash talking right and say "bless the jets", but in all reality I still love the guys on the team. I can still laugh at Winnipeg fans though

1) Because they live in Winnipeg...
2) Looks like some 10 yr. old kid picked "create a team" in NHL '06 and made those jerseys. I didn't like the Thrashers blueland jerseys, but atleast they were unique. You've been waiting how long to get a team back and thats the best you can do??

The Thrashers jerseys were an abomination.

There is another thread with condolences about the plane crash. It's terrible. The player that survived has died from his burns. So I guess that means there is a sole survivor?

We got tickets to go see the Red Wings in TC next Monday. Should be a good time. Probably the only time I'll get to see the guys in person this year.

EDIT: to clarify that news that Galimov had passed away.

There is another thread with condolences about the plane crash. It's terrible. The player that survived has not died from his burns. So I guess that means there is a sole survivor?

We got tickets to go see the Red Wings in TC next Monday. Should be a good time. Probably the only time I'll get to see the guys in person this year.

I think you mean that Galimov did pass away, making the one crew member the lone survivor.

Homercidal said:
Cool, have fun!

Just got tickets to the game in MN against the Wild Oct 15th. Anxious to see how our new defensive line holds up.

I can't wait for this season. It will be really fun I think watching a bunch of kids give their hearts away every game for the Sens, regardless of where we end up at the end of the year (let's go first overall pick! woohoo). Better that than to finish 8-10th perennially (hehe leafs nation...I'm looking, and laughing, at you!).

As a Flyer fan I can't wait for the season either! They are playing their first preseason game tonight against the Caps. They were up 3-2 last I checked. I just wish it was on TV.

I'm not expecting a serious run at the cup this year, but it should still be a good young team that is fun to watch! Can't wait to take my son and daughter to a few games too!

As a Flyer fan I can't wait for the season either! They are playing their first preseason game tonight against the Caps. They were up 3-2 last I checked. I just wish it was on TV.

I'm not expecting a serious run at the cup this year, but it should still be a good young team that is fun to watch! Can't wait to take my son and daughter to a few games too!

Was that the annual Caps/Flyers rookies game? This wasn't a full squad game, was it? Tomorrow marks the beginning of the preseason, I thought.

Can't wait to see some Flyers games this year with Bryz in net and the new players they picked up this offseason. Too bad my Richards jersey is out of style already.

Went to see the Red Wings training camp up in Traverse City yesterday. It was really neato to see all of the guys, even the retired players like Chelios and Osgood and Draper hanging out in their new jobs. Plus the young prospects. I think seeing them was as much fun as seeing the veteran favorites. They were playing all out to try and get a spot.

Preseason is right around the corner!

I'll say. That Myers contract is insane. Haven't watched a lot of the Sabres; is he worth it?

Absolutely! He is one of the best prospects the Sabres have in many, many years. They have a lot of good players, but Myers has a chance to be elite. Finally, after years and years of being both a Sabres and Bills fan, we finally have an owner that just wants to win and is totally committed. It is amazing to see the caiptal spending they have done this offseason (laser beams Zamboni's, 90' outdoor LED scrolling banner, brand new dehumidification system, flat screens in the lavatories, new concessions, and most importantly...cup holders above the urinals). It's more amazing because Buffalonians just aren't used to this type of ownership. Spending the most doesn't guarantee a championship by any means, but I honestly believe they will have a serious look at the cup within the next 4 years. They have a lot of really good prospects that will be pushing for spots in the next few years.

MW66 said:
Absolutely! He is one of the best prospects the Sabres have in many, many years. They have a lot of good players, but Myers has a chance to be elite. Finally, after years and years of being both a Sabres and Bills fan, we finally have an owner that just wants to win and is totally committed. It is amazing to see the caiptal spending they have done this offseason (laser beams Zamboni's, 90' outdoor LED scrolling banner, brand new dehumidification system, flat screens in the lavatories, new concessions, and most importantly...cup holders above the urinals). It's more amazing because Buffalonians just aren't used to this type of ownership. Spending the most doesn't guarantee a championship by any means, but I honestly believe they will have a serious look at the cup within the next 4 years. They have a lot of really good prospects that will be pushing for spots in the next few years.

The Caps got cup holders above urinals last season, my husband is pleased. Now they just need to get somewhere in the women's room for me to put MY beer.... might look at getting tickets to see the Sabres when the come to town this year.

Wings are on tonight. Flying to the arm Pitt after a morning practice, then back to TC before the next game.

It's on NHL Network.

Now to start prioritizing my afternoon plans to prepare for drinking beer and watching hockey! Pork roast in the slow cooker? Check. Plenty of beer? Check. Email wife to claim dibs on the big screen? D'oh!

Back