English Brown Malt = mmm, mmm, good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthelm85

Reaction score
I'm mashing a brown ale right now that has 12% English Brown Malt that I ordered from Northern Brewer. I'm already a fan because it smells and tastes delicious. As soon as I dumped it in to the mash tun my whole kitchen smelled like a pot of fresh brewed coffee. It's only about 70 Lovibond (94 SRM) so I think it's going to be a good way to get that deep roasted flavor into my beer without turning it black. Can't wait to try it, I'll post the recipe if it turns out as good as I think it's going to. I'll definitely be using this in the future when I want to impart a nice roasty flavor into my beers without having them come out too dark. Highly recommended!

Bravo! English brown malt has to be one of the most deliciously flavorful malts out there. So under rated too. Good thing I got 34lbs of it!

Only thing is that it can take a while for the brown malt flavor in the beer to mellow a bit. The first few weeks in the bottle/keg and it will only taste like brown malt (a good thing) though after that it will become more balanced. Enjoy!

Bravo! English brown malt has to be one of the most deliciously flavorful malts out there. So under rated too. Good thing I got 34lbs of it!

Only thing is that it can take a while for the brown malt flavor in the beer to mellow a bit. The first few weeks in the bottle/keg and it will only taste like brown malt (a good thing) though after that it will become more balanced. Enjoy!

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I would be happy just drinking the unfermented wort; it is that delicious.

Any recipes?

Here's what I just brewed:

71% Maris Otter
12% English Brown
9% Belgian Aromatic
9% Baird's Light Carastan

1.4 oz. Fuggles 60 min.
.5 oz. Fuggles 5 min.

Wyeast 1098 British Ale

OG: 1.047, FG: 1.013, IBU: 24, BU/GU: .5, SRM: 16, ABV: 4.6%.

I just brewed it yesterday and it's fermenting away as I write this so I'll let you know how it turns out in about 3 weeks.

Here's mine: "Graham's Cracker Brown Ale"

1.046 OG --- 1.014 FG
79% Pale Malt
11% CaraBrown
9% Flaked Wheat/Oats/Barley mix
1% Carafa III Special Dehusked
25 IBU from a 60min addition of Challenger, 1oz Fuggles at 10
Fermentis S-04 Dry

Makes a slightly dry, crisp brown ale. Kinda in between a normal Brown and a Mild Ale. The CaraBrown is not a Crystal Malt, so add some Medium or Dark Crystal if you want a touch of caramel sweetness. (Half C40, Half C120 would be nice)

Here's what I just brewed:

71% Maris Otter
12% English Brown
9% Belgian Aromatic
9% Baird's Light Carastan

1.4 oz. Fuggles 60 min.
.5 oz. Fuggles 5 min.

Wyeast 1098 British Ale

OG: 1.047, FG: 1.013, IBU: 24, BU/GU: .5, SRM: 16, ABV: 4.6%.

I just brewed it yesterday and it's fermenting away as I write this so I'll let you know how it turns out in about 3 weeks.

I just cracked one open after only 5 days in the bottle (I've had it at about 78 degrees) and it's fully carbed and DELICIOUS. As bierhaus said, the brown malt really dominates the flavor profile as it's so young but I'm loving it. It tastes just like a freshly baked loaf of bread and smells like it too. I hope I can control myself and not drink them all so I can see how it tastes after a month or so when it's a little more mellowed out and balanced.

It's been in the bottle now for about 15 days and the brown malt flavor is already starting to mellow out nicely and the flavor is becoming more balanced. This beer is absolutely delicious and I don't think I'll be tweaking the recipe. I highly recommend it.

As a n experiment, I brewed an esb recipe with brown malt. Its flipping delicious! Sort of like a toasty bitter.

I tell people its an es b(rown)

I LOVE brown malt. So much that I use it outside of English styles. In my hands I have a Biere de Garde using 3% brown malt and 3% amber malt and it is GREAT!! If you like brown malt, try amber malt instead of aromatic, victory, or any other character malt 20-40 lovibond. It's great.

Great thread! Reading about 18th century porters led me to search brown malt. There may be some in my future.
(Yes, I know this thread is 2 years old.)

I generally have brown malt or English pale chocolate malt in all of my non-yellow type recipes. I made an English mild some time ago, and added a small amount of pale chocolate malt. Somewhere around week 6 or 7, the mild style was spot on, but in the finish of the swallow, there was a nice back end flavor of chocolate.
Bummer too, because when the beer got great to drink, I was down to 4 bottles.

I generally have brown malt or English pale chocolate malt in all of my non-yellow type recipes. I made an English mild some time ago, and added a small amount of pale chocolate malt. Somewhere around week 6 or 7, the mild style was spot on, but in the finish of the swallow, there was a nice back end flavor of chocolate.
Bummer too, because when the beer got great to drink, I was down to 4 bottles.

I use a pound of brown malt and some pale chocolate in my mild as well. I love the way those two malts play together to add nice depth and character. I have noticed that the beer is a bit rough/harsh right when I keg it, but it rapidly mellows.

MMMmmm brown malt ... brown but not boring !

In the primary now ....... (nearly fully fermented) British Strong Brown Bitter called Brown Bess

(sorry for the metric measurements)

72L batch size (about 140 pints)

11kg Maris Otter
2 Kg English Brown
0.75 Kg English Chocolate

100g Fuggles boil 60 mins
30g Worcester Goldings 15 mins

OG 1050 predicted FG 1008

initial taste .... malty biscuit coffee with spicy earthy hop and a fruity Golding finish ...

Wowsers! what a cracker of a proper British brown extra special bitter. Will go into proper pins (cask) for conditioning and secondary without priming when SG reaches 1010.

YUMM and not too fizzy

Latest posts

Back