Emergency: in need of homebrews asap!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
Just received late notice of a dinner party on Wednesday (it's saturday night now). I would like to bring some homebrews. I have a batch of hefeweitzen ready to bottle (kegging is not an option). If I bottle them on Sunday, do you think they would be ready to drink by Wednesday? Is 3 days enough for the beer to sufficiently carbonate? Any suggestions?

Probably not, but it is worth a shot. I have had beers carbonate in 5 days. Sunday to Wednesday is actually 4, so that's close. Plus, Hefeweizen is a style that is meant to be drunk young, so you don't have to worry about that aspect.

I say give it a shot. Just open one before the party so that you don't bring them and find out that they are not ready when you are about to share them with friends.

hells no.

If you want to try anyway, I'd strongly recommend finding somewhere that's really warm to stash them - 90+ degrees

Nope, but all is not lost. Prime the bottles and send them home with guests with a hanging label:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/wine-beer-bottle-hanging-tags-93201/

Just make sure to explain that the beer is a living thing that needs to be stored at room temperature for a few weeks to fully mature. Also explain how to properly pour so that they don't end up with a glass full of yeast.

That's a great idea, McAllen. I think I'll do that. Although, short of the ideal in being able to experience their introduction to homebrews, I think it'll work!

Just received late notice of a dinner party on Wednesday (it's saturday night now). I would like to bring some homebrews. I have a batch of hefeweitzen ready to bottle (kegging is not an option). If I bottle them on Sunday, do you think they would be ready to drink by Wednesday? Is 3 days enough for the beer to sufficiently carbonate? Any suggestions?

"Ready to drink" and "sufficiently carbed" are two entirely separate things IMHO.

My ciders carb in about 4-5 days. I say yes.

Do you drink them up after the 5day mark then?

Yeah they definitely won't be ready. Let them continue to carb up and enjoy in 2-3 weeks.

I understand the desire to share the fruits of you labor with friends and family.

Personally, I won't share anything with a person that's new to homebrew that I haven't sampled and am confident they will enjoy. Most folks won't try your brew and then tell you they don't like it... they'll be too polite. They will however remember the time they tried homebrew and didn't like it, and you won't be there to remind them that you rushed the process.

If you try one before the party and are 100% happy with it... then hand em out.
Otherwise, like previously posted, I'd have some craftbrew on hand as a backup.

Good luck
Ed

Back