Electric stove questions/options???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjncoguyx

Reaction score
Ok so i've been AG brewing for about 6 months now, and i've got a good process going with my gas stove. The problem is i have to move in about 2 weeks, and my new place has an electric stove. Now i've been doing a bit of research and it seem i might give a canning element a try first and see how that works out. Although i'd like to get a burner of some sort, i'd rather not brew outside. My new place has a sun porch, and i believe the ground is concrete in it(so it'd be like a garage). It also has windows all around it. If i cracked a window or two would i blow myself up still? Just looking for ideas is all. If anyone currently does AG indoors, please do tell, im open to ideas. :rockin:

This is a somewhat controversial subject

I use a big propane burner inside my garage. I don't see a significant danger of blowing up or starting a fire. I'd be more concerned with the ventilation. Propane combustion eats oxygen and produces carbon monoxide. I always keep a door open so I can get some fresh air. In the summer I have everything wide open. In the winter I only have it ajar.

But Don't store the propane tanks inside when your not using them.

Another option is a heat stick.

Most kitchens have a 20 Amp GFCI. When I move to indoor brewing this winter, I will be using a heatstick to assist my gas stove.

So a lot of people build these heat sticks? Im a big fan of building stuff and im pretty good at it. I guess this will the way to go then.

If you have magnetic stainless steel these work fantastic: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037Z7HQK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I actually use one for mashing water, and use propane for the boil (10+ gallon batches). You just need to be careful about the weight, but since induction doesn't require anything to be touching, just build a support around your pot to keep it within 1/4" of the glass top.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have magnetic stainless steel these work fantastic: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037Z7HQK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I actually use one for mashing water, and use propane for the boil (10+ gallon batches). You just need to be careful about the weight, but since induction doesn't require anything to be touching, just build a support around your pot to keep it within 1/4" of the glass top.

But it's only 1800 watts, with only that boiling 6+ gallons of water has to take a little while.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if i use my electric stove + heat stick i should boil very well is what you guys are saying.

My first post, so hi everyone :)

In regards to using an electric stove...I do it and do not really have a problem. A 6 gallon boil can be a touch slow, but my brew pot can actually sit on two elements at once, so that is what I do. Turn both on high, have a homebrew, and everything will be fine.

On a third burner I usually boil about a gallon of water just in case I need to raise the temp (this doesn't take long at all). And to the side a gallon of cool water, in case things get too hot.

Just something to consider...it can be done!

Yep, if you make a 2000W heatstick you could maintain the boil with that alone if needed.

My first post, so hi everyone :)

In regards to using an electric stove...I do it and do not really have a problem. A 6 gallon boil can be a touch slow, but my brew pot can actually sit on two elements at once, so that is what I do. Turn both on high, have a homebrew, and everything will be fine.

On a third burner I usually boil about a gallon of water just in case I need to raise the temp (this doesn't take long at all). And to the side a gallon of cool water, in case things get too hot.

Just something to consider...it can be done!
Yeah my brewpot is fairly large, thats actually how i brew currently. I have the pot over both of my gas burners and it boils fairly quickly.

But it's only 1800 watts, with only that boiling 6+ gallons of water has to take a little while.

With an insulated mash tun you can boil 12 gallons with that sucker. Induction style plates are much, much more efficient, but you must have a ferrous pot (google induction cooktop, lots of info). Also, reduced chance of accidents or people not used to wiring around liquids, precise temperature control, and near instant heat adjustments.

It ain't for everyone, and I only use it for mash/sparge water for 10+ gallon batches. But I suspect for 5-6 gallons you could use it as your primary heat source.

Yep, if you make a 2000W heatstick you could maintain the boil with that alone if needed.

With what volume? A 2000W element will not keep a rolling boil with 7+ gallons.

I use my 2000W heatstick in conjunction with my electric stove and it works great. I use the stove to adjust the boil to my liking.

They really aren't that hard to build as long as you have some DIY ability. There are pretty good instructions in the DIY forum

With all due respect, I somewhat disagree, I brew 1/4 kegs w/ 2 elements at 2000w each, 4000 w total. On occasion I have lost an element and have finished a batch w/ just 2000w. While a tad slow, IME I feel I could do a five gallon batch w/ just one 2000w element. Sure, kettle lid on to achieve boil, and perhaps a towel wrapped around the outside of the kettle to conserve heat...not ideal but it can be done w/ decent results, IMO of course. Oh, also depends on the size of the kettle...more mass and size requires more wattage obviously.

I use my 2000W heatstick in conjunction with my electric stove and it works great. I use the stove to adjust the boil to my liking.

They really aren't that hard to build as long as you have some DIY ability. There are pretty good instructions in the DIY forum
Yeah im very good at building things. Built 2 mash tuns(1 manifold 1 braid), stir plate, wort chiller, etc. Im very mechanically inclined, the idea of water + electricity worried me though, thats why i never thought of using a heat stick, but the more i read the more im wondering why i waited to do this.

I can maintain a boil with 7gallons on my 2000W heatstick, it's not a vigorous boil, but it's a boil nonetheless. I don't do this as a normal practice, but it's nice to know that if my propane runs out I have an alternative.

Yeah my brewpot is fairly large, thats actually how i brew currently. I have the pot over both of my gas burners and it boils fairly quickly.

My electric stove boils 5-gallon batches just fine. Then again, had I a garage, I would probably be using a propane burner.

With all due respect, I somewhat disagree, I brew 1/4 kegs w/ 2 elements at 2000w each, 4000 w total. On occasion I have lost an element and have finished a batch w/ just 2000w. While a tad slow, IME I feel I could do a five gallon batch w/ just one 2000w element. Sure, kettle lid on to achieve boil, and perhaps a towel wrapped around the outside of the kettle to conserve heat...not ideal but it can be done w/ decent results, IMO of course. Oh, also depends on the size of the kettle...more mass and size requires more wattage obviously.

I can maintain a boil with 7gallons on my 2000W heatstick, it's not a vigorous boil, but it's a boil nonetheless. I don't do this as a normal practice, but it's nice to know that if my propane runs out I have an alternative.

You're both talking about situations where something goes wrong and a 2000W element can get you through the brew day. Either case is not ideal: using a lid to achieve a boil or having a weak boil. Maybe it works in your cases, but i personally wouldn't recommend that someone relies on a 2000W heatstick as a sole source of heat.

You're both talking about situations where something goes wrong and a 2000W element can get you through the brew day. Either case is not ideal: using a lid to achieve a boil or having a weak boil. Maybe it works in your cases, but i personally wouldn't recommend that someone relies on a 2000W heatstick as a sole source of heat.

I don't think either of us were recommending that this was to be the sole source of heat, nor that heating that much water was ideal or practical with a 2000W heatstick. Just pointing out that it could be done. If the OP was mislead, my apologies. I meant this to be a supplement to the stove.

I don't think either of us were recommending that this was to be the sole source of heat, nor that heating that much water was ideal or practical with a 2000W heatstick. Just pointing out that it could be done. If the OP was mislead, my apologies. I meant this to be a supplement to the stove.
Yeah i was looking for something to help me get a boil. If a heatstick + electric stove will work, im going to be ecstatic. :rockin:

Yeah i was looking for something to help me get a boil. If a heatstick + electric stove will work, im going to be ecstatic. :rockin:

It should work just fine, I'm glad we were able to help! Building my heatstick cost all of about $30.00 in parts from Lowes/Home Depot & about an hour of time total. I use it every time I brew now. :tank:

Back