El Dorado hops, quitters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
Being independently wealthy, I generally buy hops as needed, batch to batch... However hops used for bittering editions or those I especially like I'll buy in bulk and use more often.
I bought a half pound of El Dorado, because I like it's contribution and it has found it's way into a few recipes over the last couple months.
I believe I've noticed an appreciable difference in those beers, say, a week out and a month out. Has anyone else noticed El Dorado not having a lot of staying power or am I just imagining things?
I think it can go from fruity to more resinous depending on usage which is awesome. However, if it truly does poop out, it may be relegated to the cliche, "ipa hop"... Which is the crux of why I'm posting.

It does seem short-lived. However, I have noticed that with other hops as well, especially when I was bottling beer before I started kegging. My go-to house IPA involved a lot of Centennial pellets, and as soon as the beer was carbonated I'd start drinking it. 2 weeks later it was a different beer. 2 months later, it was drastically different

Interesting, thanks. I do bottle. I can imagine the "secondary" nature of natural carbonation would release some of the volatiles.

Helpful also. The last time I used it was in place of Amarillo in a pale ale recipe in which I know what to expect. It's a month or so into drinking and at this point, I really only recognize an undermatched mosaic and a heavier malt presence. Possibly bias. I feel like it has left a couple other hops hanging in the past too.

IME the hop charcter entirely depends one wha you are brewing, how focused it is on hop character and how you od your hop additions. IPAs for example are best with of concentration a late/post boil addditions and this hop character falls off quickly. El Dorado has a lot of bittering potential, which will stay, but the aroma and flavor will fade like any other hop

I'm middle class and my Vienna/el dorado SMaSH recipe is one of my favorites. I use almost a pound in 10 gallons though.

I would have to look up the recipe but it's somewhere around 7.5%/55 ibu. Huge whirlpool addition. I believe it's a 6 or 8 ounce addition.

I believe I've noticed an appreciable difference in those beers, say, a week out and a month out. Has anyone else noticed El Dorado not having a lot of staying power or am I just imagining things?
I think it can go from fruity to more resinous depending on usage which is awesome. However, if it truly does poop out, it may be relegated to the cliche, "ipa hop"... Which is the crux of why I'm posting.

To answer the question though, the recipe I mentioned has tasted pretty fresh up to about 3 months with minimal loss of flavor. On the other hand I have never had a keg of it last longer than that so I may not be a very reputable source of info on long term flavor loss.

Latest posts

Back