Critique my Hop-Burst El Dorado SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm creating a 5.5gal SMaSH American IPA to get a handle on El Dorado hops and hop bursting, both of which are new to me.

Looks like El Dorado isn't the boldest of hops, so I'm wondering if I'm taking the right steps to bring out the flavor. Not looking for an IBU-bomb, and the 56 IBUs BeerSmith 3 is rating my recipe looks to be about the bitterness level I'm looking for. Here it is.

El Dorado SMaSH American IPA
2-row Pale Malt: 13.25#
SafAle US-05: 2 packs
El Dorado–Boil–15min: 1.75oz
El Dorado–Whirlpool–30min: 1oz
El Dorado–DryHop–2days, during fermentation: 3.25oz
I'll use BeerSmith's "Dry IPA" water profile, built from distilled water

Any thoughts/warnings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I'm not sure I'd consider 1oz during the whirlpool a "hop burst". If you are concerned with bitterness, I'd chill to under 180F and then add your whirlpool hops (20 minutes should be plenty).

I don't know how much El Dorado you have, but I would go with at least 4 oz in your whirlpool and 4-5 oz in your dry hop if you really want them to shine.

I'm not sure I'd consider 1oz during the whirlpool a "hop burst". If you are concerned with bitterness, I'd chill to under 180F and then add your whirlpool hops (20 minutes should be plenty).

I don't know how much El Dorado you have, but I would go with at least 4 oz in your whirlpool and 4-5 oz in your dry hop if you really want them to shine.

Thanks, kingmatt. I thought having all the additions within last 15min counted as a burst, but I see you point! Do you mean to have no boil hops and put it all in the whirlpool and dry hop?

You certainly could go with all your hotside hops in the whirlpool but late addition boil (15min or less) is fine too. I think my main point was just to use more hops...that is usually my main point though!

Back