Egg Nog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
It's that time again. The outrageously tasty, seriously unhealthy, nectar of the holidays is once again prominent in the dairy section of your local market.

Made White Russians last night. Substituted egg nog for the cream. Man, they were good! What do you call that, a Russian Holiday?

cheers!

When we did victorian carolling on Sunday with the vintage base ball team I had "real" not out of the carton egg nogg for the first time. You know, the unpasturized kind that the only thing preventing you from getting salmonella is the copious amount of Brandy and Rum in it. It was amazing. The perfect sweetness, and creaminess, and the perfect subtle balance of spices. And very smoooooooooth, 3 punch glasses in 15 minutes, and a half hour later asleep on the floor smooth. :D

It's that time again. The outrageously tasty, seriously unhealthy, nectar of the holidays is once again prominent in the dairy section of your local market.

Made White Russians last night. Substituted egg nog for the cream. Man, they were good! What do you call that, a Russian Holiday?

cheers!

The Dude would not abide a Caucasian made with egg nog!;)

When we did victorian carolling on Sunday with the vintage base ball team I had "real" not out of the carton egg nogg for the first time. You know, the unpasturized kind that the only thing preventing you from getting salmonella is the copious amount of Brandy and Rum in it. It was amazing. The perfect sweetness, and creaminess, and the perfect subtle balance of spices. And very smoooooooooth, 3 punch glasses in 15 minutes, and a half hour later asleep on the floor smooth. :D

I make it every year for a holiday time party, and let me tell you, there's NEVER any left over. It's so much better than that pasteurized crap.

the wife has a glass of egg nog on the counter right now. she mixed in some captian morgan in with it.

My family recipe which is uncooked and very light:

6 eggs, separated (pasteurized eggs or egg substitute is you so desire)
1/2 plus 1/4 c sugar
2 c whipping cream
2 c milk
nutmeg and "nog" to taste

Standard recipe using separated eggs:
Beat egg whites till they start to thicken, add 1/4 c sugar. Beat till soft peaks form. Set aside.

Beat egg yolks till they start to lighten, beat in 1/2 c sugar. Mix well with milk and cream. Fold in egg white mixture. Add egg nog or alcohol as desired.

If using egg product:
Whip cream with 1/4 c sugar. In a separate bowl, combine "eggs," sugar, and milk. Fold whipped cream into egg mixture.

Our recipe is the go-for-broke version. It's very heavy, incredibly alcoholic, and oh so very good!

12 Eggs
1 qt whole milk
1 Qt whipping cream
3 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 fifth of bourbon
12 ozs rum

Separate eggs, beat yolks with sugar
Whisk in Milk, liquor and vanilla
Whip cream, and egg whites individually
gently fold in whites and whipped cream

Let sit for 24 hours

Stir vigorously before serving, and garnish with nutmeg if you like (I don't)

Enjoy, and don't drive anywhere.:D

Back