Effectively DITCHING cable (roku, playon, etc.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The roku set-up doesn't mention a PC. Most things can be done on the droid browser that can be done on PC.

You still think I need one for a roku?

"Using PlayOn is intuitive and easy. Just start the PlayOn media server on your PC then follow a few simple instructions for your Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 or another device to find the PlayOn media server on your device. Before you know it, you'll be watching your favorite internet shows on your TV or mobile phone! "

:(

The PlayOn server is a shell for VideoLan (VLC Player). It uses that app at the core for the transcoding and then serves it all up via uPnP/DLNA to any device listed/compatible.

"In order to get the PlayOn channel on your Roku, go to https://owner.roku.com/Add/MYPLAYON and add the private channel code MYPLAYON. Follow the simple instructions that will be provided once the code is entered and that's all there is to it. Now sit back and enjoy PlayOn on your Roku! "

All of the other instructions specifically mention a PC and a download. Think they botched this description?

"In order to get the PlayOn channel on your Roku, go to https://owner.roku.com/Add/MYPLAYON and add the private channel code MYPLAYON. Follow the simple instructions that will be provided once the code is entered and that's all there is to it. Now sit back and enjoy PlayOn on your Roku! "

All of the other instructions specifically mention a PC and a download. Think they botched this description?

No. In this description they are only addressing getting the PlayOn "channel" into teh Roku. All a channel is, is a script telling PlayOn what media formats it supports and telling Roku how to connect to the local server. If PlayOn were an online application you would be fine but since it runs as a local host Roku will look but won't find anything.

Same thing for channels on PlayOn. All the channels are is a script telling the server where to look for the content.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Sorry cheesy, I too am baffled by how limited media access is these days despite the power of our devices.

I thought setting up a home media server would be a snap and I hit all manner of road blocks along the way. Stupid **** like 1 app can read the files but can't stream them to all my devices, other apps could stream them to all my devices but couldn't read the files in their native format. Bah!

It gets worse if you delve into torrents (again, requires a pc) as stuff like Xbox will work native with Windows Media but WMP can't do Matroska (a popular format).

Roku, however, will work without a PC so long as you have wired or wireless internet.

No. In this description they are only addressing getting the PlayOn "channel" into teh Roku. All a channel is, is a script telling PlayOn what media formats it supports and telling Roku how to connect to the local server. If PlayOn were an online application you would be fine but since it runs as a local host Roku will look but won't find anything.

Same thing for channels on PlayOn. All the channels are is a script telling the server where to look for the content.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

correct, it a sure method for getting to the main list of content without going through hoops.. me, i go through dlna so its network, dlna, bedroom pc, playon and then i get the list..

Roku looks interesting, Playon has a free trial I will start tonight.

I have a wii and Netflix streaming is freaking awesome.

Anyone have opinions on Roku and Playon?

If any 2 of these work out I am ecstatic.

anything else I should know about?

Get a digital antenna. You can pick up the digital stations for free and there's no need to pay for cable. The wife and I switched to a faster internet connection and got rid of cable quite some time ago. With netflix and the digital antenna she gets pretty much any TV show she wants to watch. With the faster internet connection I get to pwn n00bs at MW3...

Eff cable. I don't even really watch TV, but we'll never have cable again.

I also have no experience with Roku or Playon so unfortunately I can't be of any assistance there.

Get a digital antenna. You can pick up the digital stations for free and there's no need to pay for cable. The wife and I switched to a faster internet connection and got rid of cable quite some time ago. With netflix and the digital antenna she gets pretty much any TV show she wants to watch. With the faster internet connection I get to pwn n00bs at MW3...

Eff cable. I don't even really watch TV, but we'll never have cable again.

I also have no experience with Roku or Playon so unfortunately I can't be of any assistance there.

Interesting.

I DO have wireless internet Gila, but the PC is required to start it up?

have you guys seen this yet? HDMI thumb drive turns your tv into a smart android device.. i remember seeing them on dealextreme.com a while back before they were known about..

I have a Roku box and can tell you that it is well worth $50. Use it for Netflix, Hulu and there are several other channels that you can add for free. Some channels cost money, but many are free. Some of the free channels are movie channels that actually have good movies, but they play ads a few times per movie. If you like old sci-fi/horror B-movies, there are plenty of free channels where you can watch classics like the Brain that Wouldn't Die, Etc.

I don't have a fast connection (dsl 3mbps) and it streams flawlessly most of the time.

Hey All, This is the PlayOn Team. First of all, thanks for checking out PlayOn. Beer and PlayOn make for a great combination.

You do need a PC in order to use PlayOn. The software turns your PC into a media server. You can use it with a gaming console, Roku, Android phone/tablet, or an iPhone/iPad. We have a fully functional free 14-day trial on our site. If you already have a Roku you can get a lifetime license for only $39.99 (http://www.playon.tv/po/buy/roku-discount/). If you don't already have a Roku we have a variety of purchase options. You can learn more at www.playon.tv.

BUT...the MyMedia, YouTube, and HBO Go channels are free in PlayOn. You, of course, have to be eligible for HBO Go through your cable provider though in order to use that channel.

We also have PlayLater which is our latest product that allows you to record Netflix, Hulu, or any other channels PlayOn supports. You can learn more about that here: www.playlater.tv. If you have any additional questions I can answer them here, or you can email me at [email protected]. We're happy to help.

Hey All, This is the PlayOn Team. First of all, thanks for checking out PlayOn. Beer and PlayOn make for a great combination.

You do need a PC in order to use PlayOn. The software turns your PC into a media server. You can use it with a gaming console, Roku, Android phone/tablet, or an iPhone/iPad. We have a fully functional free 14-day trial on our site. If you already have a Roku you can get a lifetime license for only $39.99 (http://www.playon.tv/po/buy/roku-discount/). If you don't already have a Roku we have a variety of purchase options. You can learn more at www.playon.tv.

BUT...the MyMedia, YouTube, and HBO Go channels are free in PlayOn. You, of course, have to be eligible for HBO Go through your cable provider though in order to use that channel.

We also have PlayLater which is our latest product that allows you to record Netflix, Hulu, or any other channels PlayOn supports. You can learn more about that here: www.playlater.tv. If you have any additional questions I can answer them here, or you can email me at [email protected]. We're happy to help.

ive been with you guys for 3 years and you just keep getting better and better.. witch plugin/script would you say is best for tv series since tvlinks got broken? watchseries is awesome but not nearly the data base that tvlinks had...:mug:

PlayOnTV said:

........yikes!

thanks for the clarification. Sounds cool, but I will never own a pc ever again. Mac virtual will have to work.

Interesting.

Yes

have you guys seen this yet? HDMI thumb drive turns your tv into a smart android device.. i remember seeing them on dealextreme.com a while back before they were known about..

The next gen Roku is said to be a thumbdrive.

........yikes!

thanks for the clarification. Sounds cool, but I will never own a pc ever again. Mac virtual will have to work.

yikes is right. Hella fast pick up on the topic. I was actually going to suggest you email them to verify but ....

If you have a computer with internet access. And you can brew beer. I don't think you need to pay for much else, unless you like to visit people elsewhere.;)

Interesting.

I guess I should have specified. Since we weren't paying for cable we used the money that went towards cable to pay for faster internet speeds. She can now stream Netflix while I'm playing XBOX online and we have no issues with the connection.

I guess I should have specified. Since we weren't paying for cable we used the money that went towards cable to pay for faster internet speeds. She can now stream Netflix while I'm playing XBOX online and we have no issues with the connection.

Right on!

Considering a dilapidated PC just to sit in the corner and meet my retarded computer needs.

Right on!

Considering a dilapidated PC just to sit in the corner and meet my retarded computer needs.

Honestly, a dedicated media PC doesn't take much outside of storage. But even then, external drives are MUCH better than they used to be.

Thanks to you I've given PlayOn a second chance, I've not looked at teh channels yet but last night I gave the My Media function a go. And it worked flawlessly on every device. They truely have delivered on their promises, it just took a while to get there.

Honestly, a dedicated media PC doesn't take much outside of storage. But even then, external drives are MUCH better than they used to be.

Thanks to you I've given PlayOn a second chance, I've not looked at teh channels yet but last night I gave the My Media function a go. And it worked flawlessly on every device. They truely have delivered on their promises, it just took a while to get there.

:mug:

I am a maverick among people I know "YOU DON'T HAVE CABLE????" but I know that I know very little other than the fact that cable is a sick and ending bloated beast.

Unless it completely evolves to "on demand" it will die.

I might have looked a little more before I leaped but, again, long story;)

I will land way ahead of most people.

I hope cable dies sooner than later. The thing that pisses me off most are networks that A) don't put a copy online (ever!!), B) don't put a copy into iTunes or Amazon store, and C) don't sell DVDs. If I didn't watch it live on the day it aired, how am I supposed to rewatch it, you cretins?

I want to pay you, the network, money to watch your shows a-la-carte, how I want them, when I want them. Why won't you let me?

We ditched cable a year ago... Hulu Plus is a lifesaver... Netflix is mostly just crap I don't want to watch, though. We wind up doing a lot of [redacted] to get our shows.

It's hardest for things off of Food Network, Cooking Channel, anything sort of "niche" that the main release channels don't bother to offer. Bobby Flay's 3 Days To Open, or Chef Wanted, or that sort of thing.

Bravo's and Food Network's Full Episodes Player software are crap. They crash constantly. They don't keep your position, if the page crashes. The ad generator constantly breaks at 0:00 and fails to return you to your show. Lots and lots of bugs.

Logo TV has a much better player interface, but plays a ton of ads to make up for it.

Watching my College Football live, though...... :( .... I think I'm going to be going to a lot of sports bars this fall.

:mug:

I am a maverick among people I know "YOU DON'T HAVE CABLE????" but I know that I know very little other than the fact that cable is a sick and ending bloated beast.

Unless it completely evolves to "on demand" it will die.

I might have looked a little more before I leaped but, again, long story;)

I will land way ahead of most people.

My desire to set-up a media server came from my children. Over the years I have collected several hundred dvd copies, mostly for the kids. When I started this endeavor, neither of my children could read which made finding that one movie in a stack of hundreds of discs, with hand written titles, a chore.

So, I set out to rip them to a HDD so they could find what they want by the cover image.

It worked. Even my 3 year old can navigate to find whatever he wants to watch without my interaction.

It just wasn't as straight forward as I had expected it to be.

And then another cable bill came, and they raised the price again. So, I just cancelled the service. Everything my kids were watching could be found online and they never missed a thing. And I save over $200 a month not paying for cable.

FTR, we had a "bundle" cable, phone, iNet. We dropped everything but iNet. I switched the phone over to Vonage. Prior to, my bill was at $270/mo plus long distance charges. Vonage doesn't save me much on basic service but our international long distance is free (wifes family is in Malaysia).

We do, however, still take the DVD service from Netflix too for those obscure titles that are not supported for Instant (until I rip them to the server :D).

btw, I am running a reworked big box HP Pavillion Elite tower. 1000watt psu, stock quad core cpu, 1gb ati graphics, 8gb sdram, 15tb of media dedicated usb3 external drives, w7, Dlink extreme gigabit primary, dlink extreme gigabit ap/bridge, 3 Roku XDS (1st gen), Xbox360, 67" DLP, 55" LCD, 32" CRT, & a few more 19" LCD.

I bought a ROKU over the weekend as a birthday present for myself. I haven't had cable in years, and rarely turn my antenna tv on except for hell's kitchen/master chef/NCIS/Criminal Minds and shows on the PBS/HDchannel Create, and morning local news. I mostly stream content from JTV, and regular hulu. I noticed late last week, that I'm sitting in my living room watching feeds on my small laptop (usually toggling between the tab with the streaming content and HBT) for hours on end while my tv, which is larger (but not a big screen) sits dark, and I decided to pay 60 bucks to at least stream the programming I like onto a larger tv.

I'm still learning about it, but happy so far. There are a lot of Private channels on there, besides the listed big channels on there. I was able to find most of the radio streams for the non local stations I tend to listen to online from the US and Canada, though I can't find a stream for Radio Ireland which I like to listen to on Saturday afternoons if I am home.

There's several local network live tv streams available, but nothing for the metro detroit area unfortunately.

I was able to find REGULAR hulu and Youtube via the PLEX media server that I had to downloand and link my PC and I-phone. It took a lot of searching online on roku forums to find a clear explanation of what you need to do to find those hidden channels, since it seems most of the ROKU providers are trying to push the subscription channels such as Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime. ANd there's some software setting the "conveniently" have selected in the preferences both on the Roku and on the pc that block a lot of content. And they don't explain easily how to find them and change them, so things like Youtube and regular hulu show up on searches.

Everyone keeps saying you need a PC to do these things, but have you actually googled "Using ROKU with Macs?" I just did, and it looks like there's a lot of articles, so it appears that in order to run some of the media servers you need a COMPUTER, regardless of what platform...I know it works fine with my I-phone, I can use the ROKU app to control it instead of the remote (you can use the touch screen Iphone keyboard to search rather than having to click each letter with the arrow keys and "OK" button to search for things.)

I find it doubtful in the era of cross platforms and huge popularity of Apple products that they're NOT compatible with the ROKU.

In fact THIS ARTICLE show how to use the PLEX media server on a Macintosh computer. So it doesn't look like the Macintosh is being ignored by ROKU

But it does look like you need some form of computer to add the private channels to your ROKU. Hope this helps.

I bought a ROKU over the weekend as a birthday present for myself. I haven't had cable in years, and rarely turn my antenna tv on except for hell's kitchen/master chef/NCIS/Criminal Minds and shows on the PBS/HDchannel Create, and morning local news. I mostly stream content from JTV, and regular hulu. I noticed late last week, that I'm sitting in my living room watching feeds on my small laptop (usually toggling between the tab with the streaming content and HBT) for hours on end while my tv, which is larger (but not a big screen) sits dark, and I decided to pay 60 bucks to at least stream the programming I like onto a larger tv.

I'm still learning about it, but happy so far. There are a lot of Private channels on there, besides the listed big channels on there. I was able to find most of the radio streams for the non local stations I tend to listen to online from the US and Canada, though I can't find a stream for Radio Ireland which I like to listen to on Saturday afternoons if I am home.

There's several local network live tv streams available, but nothing for the metro detroit area unfortunately.

I was able to find REGULAR hulu and Youtube via the PLEX media server that I had to downloand and link my PC and I-phone. It took a lot of searching online on roku forums to find a clear explanation of what you need to do to find those hidden channels, since it seems most of the ROKU providers are trying to push the subscription channels such as Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime. ANd there's some software setting the "conveniently" have selected in the preferences both on the Roku and on the pc that block a lot of content. And they don't explain easily how to find them and change them, so things like Youtube and regular hulu show up on searches.

Everyone keeps saying you need a PC to do these things, but have you actually googled "Using ROKU with Macs?" I just did, and it looks like there's a lot of articles, so it appears that in order to run some of the media servers you need a COMPUTER, regardless of what platform...I know it works fine with my I-phone, I can use the ROKU app to control it instead of the remote (you can use the touch screen Iphone keyboard to search rather than having to click each letter with the arrow keys and "OK" button to search for things.)

I find it doubtful in the era of cross platforms and huge popularity of Apple products that they're NOT compatible with the ROKU.

In fact THIS ARTICLE show how to use the PLEX media server on a Macintosh computer. So it doesn't look like the Macintosh is being ignored by ROKU

But it does look like you need some form of computer to add the private channels to your ROKU. Hope this helps.

You can access the Roku website via any web browser to add private channels. Plex is nice. I still found that I had to manually transcode a lot of files since it does not transcode on the fly to Roku very well, if at all. I also find that it was sluggish. There is also RoxBox for Roku too. Same idea but you have to install apache as the server.

Channels on the Roku from teh channel store are pretty solid and reliable. Private channels, not so much. If you have PlayOn and chrome there is a fairly simple script generator that involves a few point and clicks to write a channel. You could prolly do this easily for your radio station.

As for the PC commentary, yes. A lot of these options do have mac compatibility but I think PlayOn uses the emulator or something. I was using PC loosely as in Personal Computer in general.

As for the PC commentary, yes. A lot of these options do have mac compatibility but I think PlayOn uses the emulator or something. I was using PC loosely as in Personal Computer in general.

I just got the impression from Cheesy comments a couple times that he was thinking he actually needed a windows machine to use this.

ive been with you guys for 3 years and you just keep getting better and better.. witch plugin/script would you say is best for tv series since tvlinks got broken? watchseries is awesome but not nearly the data base that tvlinks had...:mug:

Thanks again for the support. We don't comment on 3rd party plugins/scripts that we have not approved. But, there is a very active community at both PlayOn Plugins (www.playonplugins.com) and PlayOn scripts (www.playonscripts.com) that will be happy to answer any questions you may have. We also now host our own plugin "store", with a ton of free plugins. You can find that here: http://www.playon.tv/channel-store/

I hope this helps.

We cut the cord a year so back and much like quitting anything we thought we needed, it was tough at first, but within 2 weeks, we stopped caring. We make do with the following:

Over the air free HD main stations with an antenna
Netflix

We never DVR'd much, I don't care about sports, and she watched and watches mostly main network shows anyway made it pretty painless for us to save 100.00 a month. With Netflix getting better and better (AMC shows have been great) its been pretty easy.

I've also gotten back into my extensive DVD and blu ray collection because of it and find I'd rather watch my movies over again than most TV shows, which is why I purchase movies to begin with. Hell, I could watch the new True Grit again right now... And just might...

I've also gotten back into my extensive DVD and blu ray collection because of it and find I'd rather watch my movies over again than most TV shows, which is why I purchase movies to begin with. Hell, I could watch the new True Grit again right now... And just might...

It is BAD ASS. It is on netflix streaming, no scratched DVDs no storage.

Streaming is the way.

Still working it out but, streamed .TS through PlayOn to Roku last night without a single buffering.

Streamed a .m4v from a .TS pre-transcode (via HandBrake) and it buffered every 3 minutes. WTF?

I know, 1st world catastrophe and all. But, this is what annoys me. I would think stuff like this would work flawlessly with todays technology.

I tried playon. It worked, but it disabled windows firewall and I couldn't even access the firewall control panel. So, I deleted playon and everything returned to normal with the firewall.

How does the ROKU even see some PC that is hard wired? do you have to hard wire the roku?

Nope, they just need to be on the same network. You can have some devices on the network wirelessly, others wired. Google "powerline adapter" if you want an easy/relatively inexpensive way to wire devices to your network.

Latest posts

Back