Need Recommendation for Keg Posts and Ball Lock Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrypratt1

Reaction score
I've noticed my latest keg slowly loses pressure overnight although I can't see the leak using starsan looking for bubbles. I just finished my very first fully closed fermentation (All Rounder, Hop Bong, full keg of Starsan purged, gravity transfer with a spot of pressure to start (Liquid out to Liquid out on the Keg, with Gas in to Gas In to keep pressure between keg and All Rounder. When finished I was able to see a small leak from the keg posts and I decided to hook up the gas line to "fix" that issue. Then I could hear a faint gas leak from the QD. More Information:

* I have 4 used kegs - picked up 2 different sources.
* I have replaced the Popits - and used Keg lube on the popit and the post.
* I have several QD's (liquid and gas) - and all seem to leak very slightly. I have used keg lube on these (gasket around the seal post and also on the tiny gasket that is pushed up to release gas or liquid.
* I have original QD's from when I purchased as well as a few I purchased on Amazon (China made).

I'm OK investing in some rock solid Posts as QD's - but looking for where and the brand recommendations. Also is there something else I should try (I have the threaded line connect for the QD's - I did try nylon take and making sure the clamps are tight - but the leak is clearly from the Pop Up Pin inside the QD (and the Post Popit.

I sampled my latest batch and it is outstanding (aroma, taste, color - I tried what I saw in an article about cold and short dry hopping and love the results. I'm sure losing pressure is not going to runi this but I need to solve my problem and am at a loss.

In case anyone else is interested here is the article - I hopped once at high krausen and then after FG followed the article (Rethinking Dry Hops: Quicker, Colder … and Better?)

Terry

You said you replaced the poppits in the posts; did you use the 'universal' ones (with the big spring) or the ones with the three prongs on the bottom? It can make a difference depending on the keg post style. Also, if you take the disconnect off the keg, is it leaking when NOT on the keg post? Sounds to me like your poppits aren't 'popping' back into the hole on top of the post correctly, due to the poppit being the incorrect size. I've had that issue with the 'universal' poppit replacements.

You said you replaced the poppits in the posts; did you use the 'universal' ones (with the big spring) or the ones with the three prongs on the bottom? It can make a difference depending on the keg post style. Also, if you take the disconnect off the keg, is it leaking when NOT on the keg post? Sounds to me like your poppits aren't 'popping' back into the hole on top of the post correctly, due to the poppit being the incorrect size. I've had that issue with the 'universal' poppit replacements.
Thanks for the input. I did originally buy universal to replace the originals but like you found these did not fit (too long) and ordered the 3-prong version at almost $7 each! If I understand the question - the post are leaking slightly (Starsan test) so I thought I could fix by putting a line on the post that has a QD on each end. At that point I can hear the gas leak from the far end of the line (the QD I hoped would seal the line.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/keg_ball_qd_grey_flare.htm
CM Becker or nothing!! I've had several failures of any other brand, so I'm biased.
Also; I've seen the occasional used keg that has a bashed or scored post that can cause a leak. If you haven't yet; replace the post o-ring as well and maybe the post;
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ballpostgas1932.htmLook around that site...best one out there.
Thanks for the recommendation. I believe I did replace the Post O-ring (99% sure I did so). For the Posts they leak at the poppit - and if I try to use a sealed gas line (QD on each end" to "Cap the leak" I can hear a slight gas leak at the far end of the line (the one not on a post).

Nothing massive but there is a constant escape of CO2. I will look into the CM Becker line!

Terry

For the Posts they leak at the poppit
With the QD off, put one or two drops of Starsan (or water) on top of the gas post. If you see tiny bubbles appear in that drop, the poppet is leaking. You can press the poppet down somewhat, using a nail set or the corner of a screwdriver, then release quickly to "reset" it. Sometimes that's all it takes.

A leaky poppet in the liquid post will cause liquid to ooze out, easy to spot.
Hint: although you may feel inclined, DO NOT press that poppet down while the keg is under pressure! ;)

I can hear a slight gas leak at the far end of the line (the one not on a post).
That means that QD is leaking, on the poppet, on the lid, or both.

Have taken those QDs apart yet?

With the QD off, put one or two drops of Starsan (or water) on top of the gas post. If you see tiny bubbles appear in that drop, the poppet is leaking. You can press the poppet down somewhat, using a nail set or the corner of a screwdriver, then release quickly to "reset" it. Sometimes that's all it takes.

A leaky poppet in the liquid post will cause liquid to ooze out, easy to spot.
Hint: although you may feel inclined, DO NOT press that poppet down while the keg is under pressure! ;)

That means that QD is leaking, on the poppet, on the lid, or both.

Have taken those QDs apart yet?
Yes - and I did try the "reset" as well as replacement popits (universal and specific 3-prong). I'm not sure a QD itself should be 100% leak proof if used to cap the post leak like I have tried. I think in addition to CM Becker QD's that were suggested I'll need to consider new Keg Posts (and yes - I know just what the results would be if resetting the beer out line - Beer Out!)..

Thanks

I'm not sure a QD itself should be 100% leak proof if used to cap the post leak like I have tried.
A QD should absolutely be leak free!
For example, that one you put at the end of the gas line. There should not any sounds coming from there. None!

The QD's lid is in the top of the QD; it has a screwdriver slot in it and can be removed with such. ;)
Inside that little lid there's a thin ~1/2" rubber o-ring, right under the flange; it has a squarish profile. Now a thin, round o-ring (as long as it fits tightly) should seal that lid just as fine.

The poppet inside the QD also has a (small) o-ring.
Put some keg lube on that, as well as on the top seal o-ring before putting it back together.

A QD should absolutely be leak free!
For example, that one you put at the end of the gas line. There should not any sounds coming from there. None!

The QD's lid is in the top of the QD; it has a screwdriver slot in it and can be removed with such. ;)
Inside that little lid there's a thin ~1/2" rubber o-ring, right under the flange; it has a squarish profile. Now a thin, round o-ring (as long as it fits tightly) should seal that lid just as fine.

The poppet inside the QD also has a (small) o-ring.
Put some keg lube on that, as well as on the top seal o-ring before putting it back together.
Thanks - I am aware an in the original post I mentioned that I put keg lube on both the inside ring as well as the end of the poppet. Glad to hear that the "fix" I tried should be 100% leak free. It is a small leak as I need to hold against my ear to hear it - but both gas QD's I tried have the same small leak. I'm going to try the CMB QD's to see if they give better results. I know the QD's I have were sourced from China and could be the source.

Thanks - I am aware an in the original post I mentioned that I put keg lube on both the inside ring as well as the end of the poppet. Glad to hear that the "fix" I tried should be 100% leak free. It is a small leak as I need to hold against my ear to hear it - but both gas QD's I tried have the same small leak. I'm going to try the CMB QD's to see if they give better results. I know the QD's I have were sourced from China and could be the source.
And BTW - the other fix I'm using now is to put on my Spunding valve (Keg Land) set to max pressure (35 PSI - more than I have in the keg). It ties up the spunding valve but buys me some time.

Back