EBY/BBA Brettanomyces Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to sign up, if there's still room even, but I'm not 100% sure how to go about that. If there is still room, my friend and I would be highly interested to take on as much as we can. Let me know, thanks!

I would like to sign up, if there's still room even, but I'm not 100% sure how to go about that. If there is still room, my friend and I would be highly interested to take on as much as we can. Let me know, thanks!
Please write me an email to contacteurekabrewing(at)gmail.com to discuss your request. I should have some yeasts left for you both.

George Peterson and John Lasher, please write me an email as well. Since I don't have any address nor reply from you both, I can't send you any yeasts and I don't know if you are human (or spam).

Poll is closed by the way since all yeast samples are no gone. Thanks to all the participants. Simply amazing!

I just had a disturbing thought this morning about the shipping. If the packages are exposued to sunlight or a warm place for too long, the tubes easily can reach a critical temperature for the yeasts. This is even more likely than any other yeast samples since I plan to send out only 1 mL of liquid per strain.

Is this a real concern and how could I get around it? Sure I could send all the yeasts with a ice pack but then the shipping costs would increase quite a bit...

Cheers, Sam

I hate to suggest holding off a month, but late September/early October is much cooler, especially in the NE. You do have some freeze risk, but it's pretty unlikely.

I didn't receive confirmation after i sent over the address - am I all set (Kyle S.)

Agree that an icepack would probably freeze 1mL vials. Definitely go with white boxes, and maybe those liquid coolers that don't freeze? Like those gel packs.

I hate to suggest holding off a month, but late September/early October is much cooler, especially in the NE. You do have some freeze risk, but it's pretty unlikely.

I didn't receive confirmation after i sent over the address - am I all set (Kyle S.)
Sending the yeasts later would be fine for me but I don't know about others...
And I sent you my first reply again. Don't know where the first one ended up.

Are there any other people who did not recieve any replies yet? (with the excepction of the two requests from today).

Agree that an icepack would probably freeze 1mL vials. Definitely go with white boxes, and maybe those liquid coolers that don't freeze? Like those gel packs.
Freezing is probably not a good idea. Liquid coolers would be a good idea. Or even simply submerging the tubes in water to have a bigger thermal mass to prevent a fast heating of the samples.

Cheers, Sam

These are my strains:

EBY 001 B. girardin (origin Girardin Gueuze)
EBY 020 B. jurassienne (origin Brasserie de Franches-Montagnes (BFM))
EBY 005 B. cantillon I (origin 2007 Cantillon Gueuze)
EBY 012 B. cantillon IV (origin Cantillon 100% Lambic Gueuze)
EBY 007 B. italiana (origin Panil Barrique Sour)
EBY 014 B. lostfontain (origin 3 Fonteinen Oude Gueuze Armand & Tommy)
EBY 016 B. lambeek (origin Boon Kreik)

So why 1ml vials, is it to cut down on shipping costs or because you do not want to culture up larger quantities. If the answer is to save on shipping costs and now we are thinking of including ice packs and what not I would say just increase the quantity that is sent to ensure there is more viability in the cell count.

So why 1ml vials, is it to cut down on shipping costs or because you do not want to culture up larger quantities. If the answer is to save on shipping costs and now we are thinking of including ice packs and what not I would say just increase the quantity that is sent to ensure there is more viability in the cell count.
There is not just one reason why I went with 1 mL vials. For example, I don't have the equipment to transfer bigger volumes in a sterile fashion (pipettes etc). Bigger, sterile tubes are rather expensive. With the current sample count at 300, I would spent at least 100 USD for tubes only (and I am a student). Not to speak of shipping costs which would then start at 56 USD!! because the tubes are too big to be shipped as letters.

Sending the yeasts in 1.5 mL tubes is therefore easier and way cheaper to ship. As long as the letters are less than 2 cm thick (which is the case for 1.5 mL tubes), the shipping is around 5.4 USD to the US and should arrive within 3 to 7 days.

I will send myself some yeasts over a weekend and see how they survive that.

Cheers, Sam

I think this is worth considering. The difference in temperature in most parts of the US between mid-August and mid-September can be fairly significant. Just holding off for a few weeks, into September, means there's much less chance of hitting 90 F spikes that could harm the yeast.

I am also wondering how people plan to bottle these. It's been my main issue with handling small experimental batches so far. You have to spend a lot of extra time re-sanitizing the equipment every time, or else increase your chances of infection. And just running a 0.5 gallon batch into a standard bottling bucket is kind of a pain on its own.

I think this is worth considering. The difference in temperature in most parts of the US between mid-August and mid-September can be fairly significant. Just holding off for a few weeks, into September, means there's much less chance of hitting 90 F spikes that could harm the yeast.

I am also wondering how people plan to bottle these. It's been my main issue with handling small experimental batches so far. You have to spend a lot of extra time re-sanitizing the equipment every time, or else increase your chances of infection. And just running a 0.5 gallon batch into a standard bottling bucket is kind of a pain on its own.

I keep a bucket of sanitizer next to where I'm bottling, shouldn't be hard to keep it all sanitary. Also, the low hop content coupled with Brett being an aerobic yeast make staling an almost non-issue if you were to pour directly from 2-liters. (I'm not suggesting people do this, just saying there probably wouldn't be any issues with it.)

Brewbien said:
I keep a bucket of sanitizer next to where I'm bottling, shouldn't be hard to keep it all sanitary. Also, the low hop content coupled with Brett being an aerobic yeast make staling an almost non-issue if you we're to poor directly from 2-liters. (I'm not suggesting people do this, just saying there probably wouldn't be any issues with it.)

I always keep a bucket of sani available too. I was thinking about going back in time to my amateur days and bottling with bottle drops... That would reduce the batches of priming sugar to prep and the number of times the beer is racked as it could go straight from primary to the bottle.

I was planing on using the carb sugar tab. I keep them handy for pulling a few bottles off when kegging.

I was planing on using the carb sugar tab. I keep them handy for pulling a few bottles off when kegging.

I do the same thing, usually a 6 pack when kegging each batch. They work well, but do leave more bottle sediment.

It's good to hear that people already use bottle carb drops when kegging. I've been thinking about picking some up for this purpose and to make bottling small experimental batches easier. I have been concerned about the potential infection factor, introducing non-boiled sugars to finished beer, which has held me back... For this experiment, I'm definitely going this direction.

I was added to the 20-strain team this morning; super excited about this!

Good call on the drops. I have my canning jars, jugs, stoppers, air locks, centrifuge tubes, and bottles on the way. :ban:

Anyone know if there is an auto siphon small enough to fit in a gallon jug?

Good call on the drops. I have my canning jars, jugs, stoppers, air locks, centrifuge tubes, and bottles on the way. :ban:

Anyone know if there is an auto siphon small enough to fit in a gallon jug?

They have shorter auto siphons that fit the gallon jugs that you get when you buy cider. It just depends on the width of the mouth of the jug. I was planning on using 2-liter bottles but now I'm not sure about how to rack the beer...

If I can't find the right auto-siphon, I may double drill a stopper and do forced CO2 at a few PSI. 1/4 or 3/16" copper refrigeration tubing from Home Depot might work well, and I can just drop it in boiling water between batches

Sending the yeasts later would be fine for me but I don't know about others...
And I sent you my first reply again. Don't know where the first one ended up.

Are there any other people who did not recieve any replies yet? (with the excepction of the two requests from today).

Freezing is probably not a good idea. Liquid coolers would be a good idea. Or even simply submerging the tubes in water to have a bigger thermal mass to prevent a fast heating of the samples.

Cheers, Sam

Could mix the yeast with some glycerin to prevent cell damage from freezing.

RE: What to ferment in - Maybe a duh statement for most of you following this thread, but just to throw it out there, Carlo Rossi bottles work great and you can find them at recycling centers. Any state with a refund should be even easier to locate them. Also, retirement homes around here tend to go through a lot of Carlo around here, not sure what it is in other places. Can also be a great time to make some hard cider, just buy the 1 gallon glass jugs when you do - then you get the AJ for cider and some glass to boot!

I'm doing all 20 strains and plan to add a few of my own just to compare - will ferment in 1 gallon containers and bottle directly from them. If it's the right time in the fall, will also put some wort in my coolship.

I plan on fermenting for the entire winter and bottling in the spring (if that's allowed.) Could also bottle some at different intervals. Would make for an interesting tasting panel.

Dregs from Sahati, which was delicious, ready for shipping to ya Sam.

image-3854887570.jpg

Chugachbrewing my daughter goes through a lot of apple juice. I was thinking of using the empty 1 gallon plastic bottles for mini fermenters. Drill a hole in the lid and add a blowoff tube or a gasket and airlock.

ChugachBrewing said:
RE: What to ferment in - Maybe a duh statement for most of you following this thread, but just to throw it out there, Carlo Rossi bottles work great and you can find them at recycling centers. Any state with a refund should be even easier to locate them. Also, retirement homes around here tend to go through a lot of Carlo around here, not sure what it is in other places. Can also be a great time to make some hard cider, just buy the 1 gallon glass jugs when you do - then you get the AJ for cider and some glass to boot!.

I found this http://www.specialtybottle.com/jug-cleargallonglassjug128ozwblkplasticlid.aspx

Cool website... although if youre paying 4.39 and shipping its almost same price to buy the jug with some product in it.

Secondly, I always argue for glass when it comes to fermentation. I know the debate on that topic is forever ongoing, and I dont want it to start here but just thought I would throw a pitch for it sounds we are all doing the same experiment. Another great container for those doing .5 gallon batches are glass milk jugs. They fit a 6.5 stopper easily.

Dregs from Sahati, which was delicious, ready for shipping to ya Sam.
Yuhei! Can't wait to see whats in there.:ban:

I will ferment my shares in small plastic buckets (3.4 L, 0.9 gal) as I did for my wheat yeast experiment. Only difference, this time with 20 fermenters...
experiment-1cut.jpg

Cheers, Sam

After doing research and looking at different options, I think I'm going with the 1 gallon jugs from More Beer with a screw top that has an opening for a three piece airlock. Free shipping and the best price for all the components. They even beat out the bulk glassware dealers that were selling glass by the case with quantity discounts, plus I can get the airlocks and glass from one shop!

Maybe Carlo Rossi or apple juice or milk would give me the same glass with a bonus product but I just don't have the time to deal with all that right now. I also advocate for glass in ALL my fermentation (though I've been toying around with the idea of doing an open ferment in a bucket with cheese cloth over the top).

I'm amped about this project.

There is now a chance that I might be brewing a 4 bbl batch of the base wort on Schmaltz Brewing's test batch system. This would allow us to ferment full 5/6 gallon batches of each strain. Might even be able to use their production bottling line.

There is now a chance that I might be brewing a 4 bbl batch of the base wort on Schmaltz Brewing's test batch system. This would allow us to ferment full 5/6 gallon batches of each strain. Might even be able to use their production bottling line.

That's very cool. What would be your process of stepping up the starter to pitchable amount for a larger batch? Same as any other starter?

That's very cool. What would be your process of stepping up the starter to pitchable amount for a larger batch? Same as any other starter?

Im treating this just like I would when I make starters from bottle dregs, the factor of 10 increase each step works well. Just need to allow for enough time since I don't have 20 stir plates :D

Wow thats pretty cool Ryan.

I wish I could have gotten my HBC interested so I could have tested all 20 strains.

Whoa, that's awesome man. How are you swinging that?

Let me know when you've got the batch going, if others (me) would be able to try them. I would love to figure out a day to take a trip up to Albany. Hopefully I'd have my own ready by then to sample as well.

Whoa, that's awesome man. How are you swinging that?

Let me know when you've got the batch going, if others (me) would be able to try them. I would love to figure out a day to take a trip up to Albany. Hopefully I'd have my own ready by then to sample as well.

Well Schmaltz just opened up their new brewery (they used to contract brew though Mendocino). At the grand opening party, which I volunteered at (so did many others from my homebrew club another local club) the owner said that once their test batch system was up and running they would love to collaborate with our clubs and brew on the 4bbl system.

Anyway, after thinking about this project I thought it could be a potential fundraiser opportunity for my club (which is only a year old). I was thinking if we could brew enough that we could "sell tickets" to a tasting event, make people fill out evaluation forms for each beer they sample, and then have a chance to leave with samples of their favorite yeast. I emailed Schmaltz about this idea figuring it would be up their alley (since they brew a bunch of beers with brett) and they are indeed interested. Only issue is the 4bbl system is not set up yet. It might be by the time the yeast is delivered and I build up starters.

I will keep people updated on this collaboration for those who might want to come to Albany.

Well Schmaltz just opened up their new brewery (they used to contract brew though Mendocino). At the grand opening party, which I volunteered at (so did many others from my homebrew club another local club) the owner said that once their test batch system was up and running they would love to collaborate with our clubs and brew on the 4bbl system.

Anyway, after thinking about this project I thought it could be a potential fundraiser opportunity for my club (which is only a year old). I was thinking if we could brew enough that we could "sell tickets" to a tasting event, make people fill out evaluation forms for each beer they sample, and then have a chance to leave with samples of their favorite yeast. I emailed Schmaltz about this idea figuring it would be up their alley (since they brew a bunch of beers with brett) and they are indeed interested. Only issue is the 4bbl system is not set up yet. It might be by the time the yeast is delivered and I build up starters.

I will keep people updated on this collaboration for those who might want to come to Albany.

This is great!!

I missed out on the strain grab bag but would love to come up for the tasting and to grab some cultures for future use!!

Didn't think Shmaltz used much brett in there brewing. They don't seem like the type of brewery to have a pilot system also. Looks like there opening big doors with this new brewery. Gotta check it out!!

Cheers guys, this is such a great experiment!!
Cant wait for tests to start and results to be revealed!

Kerosin -- Will you or Jeff be selling these strains once they have been identified and tagged?

This is great!!
Didn't think Shmaltz used much brett in there brewing. They don't seem like the type of brewery to have a pilot system also. Looks like there opening big doors with this new brewery. Gotta check it out!!
He'Brew Funky Jewbelation has brett. Also, since they were a contract brewer, they needed a system to design recipes on before Mendocino brewed it on a large scale.

Kerosin -- Will you or Jeff be selling these strains once they have been identified and tagged?
I am sure for those stateside that you would be able to convince Jeff or myself to send out strains. Would probably be cheaper than if Sam sent them.

I talked to my LHBS owner about getting twenty 1-gallon glass carboys with stoppers and airlocks for the experiment. He said he'd be glad to help me out.

Last night I prepared 24 slants so that I can save the yeast for future experiments. I want to do some mixed fermentations and some all-brett blends, pending the results of this experiment. Can't wait for this!

Latest posts

Back