eBrew Conversion: eKettle and RIMS Cooler (Questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albadia

Reaction score
Just wanted to run my plans past the experts and make sure I'm not missing anything that could throw a huge wrench in my plans. Assistance would be appreciated!

I currently run off a propane burner with my 10g pot for 5 gallon batches, and converted cooler. My desire is to build a new wooden brew stand, convert my present kettle to electric with a 240v 5500w element, build a RIMS tube with a second 240v 5500w element, and the control panel to handle everything.

First crazy check. I did find a few people using 5500w elements on 240, and the "math" I've seen shows I should get about 1.5-2.5 degrees/minute which should be more than adequate for Step mashing/mashout. Still look good?

Searching for a quality but cheaper alternative to a straight Kal clone, I found a diagram from PJ that seems to fit my purposes.

Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30a-e-stop-8a.jpg

I *think* (in my ignorance) that this should work for me. I will cut the second pump off the circuit (as I'll be building a 2 tier stand with a single pump for the moment), and the element marked HLT would be my RIMS element. Is there any reason this couldn't manage a RIMS element just as easily as it would a HLT element?

This is my Google Doc Parts List and projected panel layout.

Appreciate any assistance you guys can render. Most of this electrical stuff was beyond me 48 hours ago. Now I've read a lot and its just over my head :drunk:

Back