Easy as 1,2,3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you find that juice? Are you going to go to a secondary? What are you next steps?

Sure, you could do that. Or take out a couple of cups, boil/heat it to dissolve some sugar (brown sugar, molasses, honey, whatever), and add it back. Then shake it up and do the rest. Not -quite- as easy I suppose, but still pretty simple.

Yep.

*cue the crickets chirping*

If you want to bottle it, carbonate it, or do other things to improve upon it, it takes additional steps, but that, essentially, is it.

In fact, since the yeast is all around us, you could just open it, let the air hit it till it starts to show some bubbling, slap an airlock on it and that's it.

Most non-beer brewing is that simple.........

Yeah. That simple. It's not hard. The hard part always comes when you try to improve upon it.

Really, I'm just doing this because a three letter response seems too simple.

Hehe jschein that's right!

turbos17, I got it at World Market for $4. I will not do secondary, just bottle and carb. First cider for me.

I'm not looking to back sweeten as I like dry with a good apple flavor leftover. I know too dry and it'll strip the flavor away, hence the S-04.

lowtones84, Do you mention the addition of sugar as mere sweetening?

Ah gotcha, nope I'm not looking for anything too strong other than a 4-5% depending on finishing gravity.

Would be nice to get something similar to Samuel Smith's organic cider; 5% abv. I find that cider to be the perfect balance of sweet, tart, and dry. They use an ale yeast, extra malic acid, organic cane sugar, and of course the organic apple juice. Question would be on how much citric acid to add ( all I have on hand) for this small 1/2 gallon cider.

Step 1A: Remove a cup or so before pitching the yeast. A full bottle will likely overflow from the foam that forms on top. You can add it back in after a few days when the foam drops.

So it looks like there is about 6.77 oz of sugar in the bottle and that bottle is about 1/2 gallon so there would be 13.54 oz of sugar in a gallon. Your yeast will have no trouble fermenting that bone dry and so your potential ABV is about 4 - 4.5%.
You refer to Samuel Smith adding malic but you want to add citric? Apples are essentially malic so the addition of citric does not make a great deal of sense... also, the need to add more acidity is surely dependent on the taste... and only you will know what the cider tastes like to determine whether and if so how much acidity to add.. Simply adding acidity independent of taste is like someone adding salt to a dish before they know whether it needs any after you cooked the dish with salt.. and in this case an ABV of 4% may need less of a zing than a cider with an ABV of 5 or 6%.
The other thing is that my bet is that Samuel Smith uses a blend of apples designed to make hard cider. Looks like (but I cannot be 100 percent certain) North Coast makes their apple juice with the intention of it being drunk unfermented. That does suggest that the apples used by North Coast will have less acidity, less sugar, and far less tannin than blends intended for hard cider.

So it looks like there is about 6.77 oz of sugar in the bottle and that bottle is about 1/2 gallon so there would be 13.54 oz of sugar in a gallon. Your yeast will have no trouble fermenting that bone dry and so your potential ABV is about 4 - 4.5%.
You refer to Samuel Smith adding malic but you want to add citric? Apples are essentially malic so the addition of citric does not make a great deal of sense... also, the need to add more acidity is surely dependent on the taste... and only you will know what the cider tastes like to determine whether and if so how much acidity to add.. Simply adding acidity independent of taste is like someone adding salt to a dish before they know whether it needs any after you cooked the dish with salt.. and in this case an ABV of 4% may need less of a zing than a cider with an ABV of 5 or 6%.
The other thing is that my bet is that Samuel Smith uses a blend of apples designed to make hard cider. Looks like (but I cannot be 100 percent certain) North Coast makes their apple juice with the intention of it being drunk unfermented. That does suggest that the apples used by North Coast will have less acidity, less sugar, and far less tannin than blends intended for hard cider.

Your latter paragraph was my conclusion as well. Thanks for the math! I will taste of course before an acid blend is added as I do have no idea on what it will taste like.

Back