DSPR110 controller build questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemattb

Reaction score
I searched and found some information but it's been going on hours and I might be getting more confused. Anyways, I want to build a controller with the auber DSPR110 and a separate pid (likely mypin) to monitor mash temperature. Auber provides this wiring diagram which looks straight forwArd.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463148904.692105.jpg

My first question is how would i add in the 2nd pid? Would that second pid need an ssr since it's only monitoring temp?

I am looking to purchase items and get this build started, been toying with electric for over a year and excited to ditch propane!

Thanks

I searched and found some information but it's been going on hours and I might be getting more confused. Anyways, I want to build a controller with the auber DSPR110 and a separate pid (likely mypin) to monitor mash temperature. Auber provides this wiring diagram which looks straight forwArd.
View attachment 354173

My first question is how would i add in the 2nd pid? Would that second pid need an ssr since it's only monitoring temp?

I am looking to purchase items and get this build started, been toying with electric for over a year and excited to ditch propane!

Thanks
Got a link for that drawing? It's too small to be useful in your post.

Are you doing single vessel brewing, or do you have separate boil and mash vessels. If separate, do you want to be able to heat the mash tun? If single vessel (BIAB), then there is no need for a separate PID to monitor temps, as the DSPR110 monitors, displays and controls temp.

Brew on :mug:

I'm going to have 3 vessels, was thinking it'd be nice to control hlt temp, then have therm to keep eye on mash. I emailed auber and they supplied this for me. I think it should do exactly what I want on a good budget. Might replace the 2nd pid with my pin though. Any things you guys think might be beneficial? Sorry for the bad initial picture!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463173117.859026.jpg

And Doug, I have to thank you for your post in another thread, really convinced me to do this as I don't need a crazy complicated controller

That diagram will take care of the HLT and MLT, but you still need to do something to control the boil-kettle. And, if you want to run the HLT and BK at the same time, then you will need a 50A circuit (or two 30A circuits) unless you are using lower power elements.

I'm just going to do 30a. Can't I just unplug the hlt and plug in bk to boil?

Might work. I don't know how the DSPR110 will respond to a temp reading that is significantly below boiling when trying to run it in boil mode (duty cycle power control mode.) The control logic sounds like it works differently than a PID in manual mode. Probably should ask Auber about that.

Response from auber.

Answers: Please see an example of the control panel output. The L6-30R (for heater) and RTD XLR connector are both detachable. So to deal with 2 vessels (1 at a time), after finishing mash on the first vessel you can turn off the control panel and exchange probe and heater for the second vessel.

Back