Dryhopping in keg and fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put hops in keg before at serving temp, then got it to serving temp opened it fined with bio fine or gelatin and then carbonate?
I'm worried the hops will interfere with the finings.

I think your biggest issue will be the hops clogging up your dip tube, etc. Make sure you put your hops in a mesh bag or something else to keep things from getting clogged.

That's my usual method with gelatin in a beer that needs dry hops. There's been much discussion on HBT about this, but you'll probably find you get more aroma from dry hops when the beer is warmer than serving temp.

If the dry hops are suspended in a mesh bag (unwaxed/unflavored floss works great), you can always pull the bag out after the keg is chilled and right before adding the finings. I'm not sure about biofine, but gelatin definitely works best with cold beer.

So dry hop for the desired time, chill, pull the bag, add finings, wait 4-5 days, push out the first murky pint, and carbonate as usual.

What I'm thinking about doing is not removing the hop bag before fining. I'm also not sure it's a very good idea, just easier and saves time.

Back