dry (pseudo) lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintAnky

Reaction score
Thinking about doing an experiment: something along the lines of a dry lager (think Asahi), but with clean ale yeast since I don't have (or plan to get) lagering facilities. A dry cream ale, if you will. I think this could be achieved by tossing some amylase enzyme into the fermenter after the fermentation slows, yes? Any idea how much would do the trick? This will probably be a half batch of 2.5 gal, since it's a pretty half-baked idea. :)

Often, extract recipes for light, dry, crisp cream ales will include some sugars - it will dry out your final beer.

The other key is to pay close attention to fermentation temperatures and yeast strain. US05 at 65 degrees is good for a clean, crisp beer.

Thanks for the reply, Pappers. I've considered using some corn sugar or rice syrup solids, but I kind of wanted to get all mad scientist on this batch. Playing god with biotechnology and all that. I was planning on fermenting with Nottingham in my 55-60 degree basement. I do have some US-05 in the fridge so I might try that instead.

Nottingham at 60 is also a very clean fermenter. I've not gone down to 55 with it - as long as you keep an eye on it and it attenuates, you'll be fine. Another way to think about clean crisp dry ales is that slower fermentations are better.

Sorry I can't help with the amylase enzyme, I've never used it.

Don't think you want to add the amylase post boil. I have visions of a drawn out fermentation happening. It actually could be used to convert cooked rice into fermentables if you're really looking for something like Asahi. I believe it's lightened with rice but would recommend checking behind me to be for sure.

Back