Dry Hops still left after kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
I dry hopped (pellets) for the first time and did it in the secondary. No bag just threw them in. I dry hopped for 6 days and then cold crashed for one day. Then I siphoned over to a keg careful not to get trub and hops. Forced carbed it and then tried two 8 oz pulls. Both pours contained a good amount of hops. I heard that this might happen as additional stuff would settle to the bottom. Do you think if I let it sit for a day or two and then pour a pint that the first glass will get rid of most of the hops? Or am I out of luck since I didn't use a filter during siphoning? Thanks for the help.

Ive done exactly what you did:) and from my experience I had little hop things floatin around all the way to the last pint even after letting it sit for 9 days. Ive also used a muslin bag as a filter and had some fairly successful results. I would just try to filter the next one. Just call it extra protein:)

Steve

Don't know how you feel about using whole hops, but I recently used them and they actually seemed to help filter the yeast. I didn't get any hops while siphoning, and I think I got less sludge than normal.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll be using a filter or whole hops in the future. I have a tea screen (for Indian tea) that I might try when pouring. Of course it might mess up the foam.

i bet you'll get most of it to settle out in a week or so in the keg... last time i dry hopped, i waited until most of them had settled to the bottom of the fermenter (about 10 days) and then crash cooled for 2 days. after kegging, i don't think i noticed any hop residue at all.

The bits are good for you. I intentionally unfilter (or am I lazy ;)) because filtering, lagering, cold crashing, etc. pull out tons of good stuff.

Antioxidants and other heaLTHY SOUNDING FLOATIES!;)

I tried dry hopping for the first time on the last batch I brewed. I used pellets in the secondary for 10 days. When I racked the beer, I put sanitized a large grain bag and put that over the racking cane. It worked well, and I didn't get any noticeable amount of hop material in my beer.

I suspect you'll have particles all the way down. One reason I don't use pellets for dry hopping.

I've dry hopped with pellets in a secondary and then kegged and haven't had particles after about the second pint. I don't do anything about trying to filter it, either, so I just dropped them directly in the carboy and then used my normal racking cane to move it to the keg.

Back