Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
Does anyone on here dry hop their beer in the keg they are dispensing out of? Any upsides to this or is it better to do it in the secondary. I transfered my Pale Ale into my keg last night and didnt dry hop it and now i wish i did because it didnt have the hopping nose to it.

Yup...all the time. Put the hops in a grain bag and zip tie them to the dip tube about half way up.

Yes, you can do it. I've seen folks use leaf hops in a hop bag in a keg with good results. Biermuncher has at least one good photo of such a setup around here somewhere. Do get it in a bag, though, or the hops can plug up your kegworks.

Pellet hops don't work so well, though. They tend to get out of bags. It probably won't be enough to plug up your keg, but you'll have little hop bits in your beer. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. (It didn't bother me . . . too much :) )

TL

TexLaw said:
Pellet hops don't work so well, though. They tend to get out of bags. It probably won't be enough to plug up your keg, but you'll have little hop bits in your beer. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. (It didn't bother me . . . too much :) )

I need to get some leaf hops for this very reason.

Brentk14 said:
Great I might add them in today then. See what happens.

If you have already force carb'd your beer you are going to have one helluva time getting that bag in there without a huge mess. Bleed it off several times over a period of a few hours before you drop that bag in.

Speaking of hops. I have been kinda pissed lately because my LHBS wont let me buy more than 2 ounces for a batch. We have a local sporting goods hunting store that also sells beer supplies and i went there yesterday to get some random stuff and went to see if they had any hops in, they have been clean out for a month. To my suprise, the motherload. They had a ton of everything. I ended up buying a total of 2 pounds of Cascade, Centennial, and Hallertau. I felt like a drug dealer driving home with that much green stuff haha.

Brentk14 said:
...my LHBS wont let me buy more than 2 ounces for a batch.

My LHBS says the limit is 4 oz "unless purchasing a full recipe." I guess I can see their point, because some people can come in and buy up pounds of the stuff and leave the smaller-scale extract brewers with nothing. But 2 ounces per batch seems strict!! Crazy...

Back