Dry Hopping NB"s Surly Furious Kit w/ 8.5 oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurorajp

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to dry hop this one without losing too much beer in the process, which from what I've read will mean not adding the pellets straight to the secondary without some way to contain them.

My primary is a 6.5 gallon Ale Pale and I secondary in a glass carboy. Here are what I see as my options, which do you think is best?

1 - Add straight to glass carboy (too much beer loss due to the massive amont of hops)
2 - Hops in nylon bag (9x9), or in muslin bags added to the carboy (pain in the a** to get out)
3 - Hops in nylon bag, or in musling bags added straight to the primary
4 - Rack to carboy let settle for 30 minutes or so while I clean and sanitize primary bucket, rack back to primary and add hops then.

Thanks for any input.

Why not just add the hops to the primary? I plan on doing that this weekend with an IIPA that I recently brewed.

I wasn't sure if it would be good or not to get the beer off of the trub to help it clear up.

Back