To rack or not to rack...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalifornian

Reaction score
Brewed a 20g batch of HG Hopslam IPA with DME as the fermentable. Plan is to keg 10g and bottle 10g, flavoring half of each with pineapple flavoring. Only have 5g carboys and a 15g pot. I fudged up and topped off just before the boil when I probably would have been fine just doing the boil and transferring to RO water in the carboys, so I ended up having to transfer around 4g to a second pot and running 2 separate boils to avoid a boil over. All of the hopping was in the primary 15g boil. As I transferred from the 15g pot to the carboys, I blended the 2nd pot back into the mix, topping off the 15g pot as I could- and transferring onto about 1g of RO water in each carboy. Ended up with about 22g in my fermenters.
When racking to secondaries, I again blended in a sanitized pot before transferring, with a somewhat sophisticated method that probably got a reasonable, but not thorough, blend without adding a ton of O2. Ended up with around 19g.

I'm ready for the next step, but not sure how to proceed;
1) Rack to a tertiary to get the dry hop and trub out of there and get another blending in. Then flavor, & keg next weekend, with another blending and bottle from the keg the following weekend.
2) Rack to the blending pot, into kegs, add flavor, put on CO2, bottle the 2 kegs next weekend.
I have a filter set up too, but just not sure it's necessary and not a fan of cleaning unnecessary equipment.

I know racking is generally frowned upon now, but in this case I need to blend it to get a consistent profile across the whole batch. The more blending the better on that front, but also opens me up for oxidization, contamination, and off flavors from messing with it too much.

Last edited:
Back