Dry hopping, naturally carbing, and storing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactik

Reaction score
I have my kegerator filled with 2 kegs and 3x5gallon batches that are ready to be kegged. Since I now have my pipeline filled, I am going to naturally carb them since they will be sitting under my stairs, which is 68F.

I want to experiment with dry hopping, so my plan was to dry hop in the primary for 7 days (this is about 7 days after fermentation started), then rack to a keg and naturally carb it up. It may end up sitting for a month before it reaches a tap. I like the idea of naturally carbing since my kegs usually will be stored for a couple weeks before being placed on tap. I may as well use this time to carb them.

1. Is it ok to dry hop then naturally carb?
2. How long can I leave a dry hopped keg at 68F?
3. Any other recommendations?

Galactik said:
I have my kegerator filled with 2 kegs and 3x5gallon batches that are ready to be kegged. Since I now have my pipeline filled, I am going to naturally carb them since they will be sitting under my stairs, which is 68F. I want to experiment with dry hopping, so my plan was to dry hop in the primary for 7 days (this is about 7 days after fermentation started), then rack to a keg and naturally carb it up. It may end up sitting for a month before it reaches a tap. I like the idea of naturally carbing since my kegs usually will be stored for a couple weeks before being placed on tap. I may as well use this time to carb them. 1. Is it ok to dry hop then naturally carb? 2. How long can I leave a dry hopped keg at 68F? 3. Any other recommendations?

1. Yes
2. As long as you don't have a ton of hops in the keg (you said hop in primary then rack to kegs), then it'll be fine. Just make sure you hook the kegs up to CO2 and purge out any air that's in the keg to prevent oxidation. You just want beer and CO2 in the keg.
3. Don't panic on your first pour. Naturally carbing will make that first pull yeasty and sludgy. Not pouring until the kegs are chilled for a couple days helps that.

Latest posts

Back