Dry Hopping Mistake Maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
Long story short I had to be out of town for one week for work and dry hopped my NEIPA last Friday so now my beer has been sitting on hops for 10 days. My goal was to keg yesterday when I realized my CO2 tank was empty. When I went to fill it this morning they told me the tank needs to be re-certified which apparently is a three day process. I tasted a sample last night and it tasted fantastic I just worry leaving it on dry hops for another three days could create an issue. I am not sure if I should rack it to a secondary and then keg in a few days or if another three days will not be harmful to my beer.

I appreciate any help as I’m sure someone has had similar issues in the past

This ^
No secondary ever, let it be!

Keep that fermentor in your fermentation fridge to slow down aging.

You're going to 100% liquid pre-purge that keg and do a closed transfer, as much as possible?

Yea, transferring without a source of pressurized CO2 is just asking for oxidation which will do far more damage than just letting it sit right where it’s at.

You'll be fine! I've been keeping all my NEIPAs in the primary for full fermentation. Usually 3oz of dry hops on day 3-4 and another 3oz 3 or 4 days before kegging. I've had the beer sit as long as 25 days on hops, and it turned out fine. Before that, I read all sorts of opinions on leaving this style on hops too long, but I have yet to brew something that turned out to be not what I expected. I'm guessing this is a forgiving style, or I've just had great luck. Good luck!

Last edited:
Agree with the above. IMHO the concern about grassy hop notes from over extending the dry hop period are overrated. It only happened to me once, about 4 years ago when the power to my fermenter went out and I was out of town.

Back