Dry Hopping ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yzf426scott

Reaction score
I made my first ipa yesterday and am looking for some advise on dry hopping I have 1.5oz of casscade for dry hopping my temp will be 70 any advise on how long I should leave them in there and when I should put them in? Also I was not planning in moving to a secondary

put them in after a week, or when the bubbling in the airlock die down. keep them in their for one to two weeks before racking to bottling bucket or keg. You can either just throw them in or use a hop bag (sanitize hop bag by boiling it), its up to you.

I dry hop for the 10 or so days prior to bottling. 2 weeks is about the limit, IMHO.

I've dry hopped two batches so far. The first I used an ounce of Centennial in a bag. The second time I dry hopped I used two ounces of Amarillo, straight into the carboy. I would say the second time I got a much better, more noticeable aroma out of the hops.

I know there are a few variables here... different type of hops, different amount... but I personally like the method of just throwing them in there better than using the bag. I just feel like it might allow the oils a little more room to work some magic. Oh, I also gently swirled the carboy a couple times a day after I added the hops.

I had a brew shop owner tell me to put some sanitized marbels
into the bag with the hops so they go to the bottom of the secondary.
Any comments on this?
SJ

Would love to hear some breakdowns on the following schedules for primary, secondary, dry hopping, then kegging for a strong IPA...

Just brewed one and focus is on achieving:

1) solid - kick you in the face - hop flavor - should be a given.
2) amazing hop aroma when its flowing from the tap

Thanks,

-d

Just chuck the hops into the fermenter. Hops don't need to be sanitized. Bags, marbles, nuts, bolts all need to be sanitized. Just chuck 'em in there. It will work out very well.

I put 2oz of Amarillo DH on a recent IPA for 1 week. I was anticipating more hop aroma then what I got. Maybe I should have gone to 2 weeks...

Good timing. Just bottled a heavy IPA this week. I've had 3 folk comment on similiarity to Sierra Nevada in regards to flavor and hop characteristics (its got a phenominal nose).

I didn't secondary this one, went straight from primary to bottling bucket.

Here's the recipe, including the dry hopping schedule:

Heavy India Pale Ale
1/4tsp gypsum
1# Lovibond steeped at 170 degrees for 20m
6.6# light LME (-90m)
1# light DME (-90m)
1.5oz Centennial pellets (-85m)
1tsp Irish Moss (-20m)
1/2oz Centennial pellets (-20m)
1/2oz Cascade pellets (-10m)
1/2oz Cascade pellets (-1m)
Top to 5gal