Premature Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys - I brewed a batch yesterday, and used the magnet-attached-to-a-muslin-bag-under-the-bucket-lid method for dry hopping. Recipe calls for the dry hop on Day 7.

However...

A friend stopped by just as I sealed it up, and when I was showing him my setup, he grabbed the magnet on the outside of the lid and said "What's this", and before I could stop him, he pulled it off and the hop bag fell in on Day 1.

So, what should I do? Should I just leave it in there and hope for the best? Should I fish it out? Now that it's in, should I just keep it in and remove it at a certain point, or just let it go?

Thanks in advance....

The time to socialize with your friend, or is he a former friend now? :rolleyes: and then write this 30 minute old post, I'd just go with the flow and see what it is when all is done and in the glass.

I'd let it ride. They're wet now, no point fishing them out IMO. You might end up with a little less aroma than if they went in after fermentation, but it'll still be good. RDWHAHB. 😁
Cheers.

Once they got wet, it was too late to do anything.

All is not lost! You can still keg hop your beer--my preferred method.

Also, I would stop using the recipe to determine when you should dry hop. Instead, brew the same recipe several times and find one of the many methods that works best for you.

You're smart enough to brew great beer, so that means you're smart enough to figure out how you prefer to dry hop your beer.

Same thing happened to me with an ipa once. The magnets failed and the hop sack fell into the fermenter just after pitching my yeast. I still let it ride, but changed the beer name from Magnets and Miracles IPA to Splashdown IPA. The end result was a somewhat muted hop flavor, so rather than be pissed about it with every pour I opened the keg, dropped in additional hops in another sack, then purged the keg quite a few times. It ended up being just ok, and I finished the keg quickly before oxidation had a chance to take its toll.

Back