Dry hopped - what is this? Extreme mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNDan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine dry-hopped his beer for 2 weeks in a nylon net suspended in secondary. When he got home after being gone that long, it looks like this. Not sure what to tell him - never seen anything like this:

Beer_Mold.jpg

wow thats cool. I have no idea what that is. continue forward with caution. i would bottle and put the bottles in a tote or something in case they explode.

Can't tell for sure due to the coloration in the pic, but dark blue streaks in the middle of the foam as well as on the nylon itself (from what I can see) screams mold to me...pop the airlock and take a quick sniff. Mold is pretty obvious by scent.

Taste the beer under the ??? Does it taste like Satan's anus? If so dump it. If it tastes good I would drink that up ASAP. FYI mold really doesn't do much to beer most of the time.

BTW I would clean up that carboy handles wing nut + hardware. It is looking pretty bad...

is that a used bag, and did you friend fail to boil/sterilize the bag before using it for dry hopping?

It's a glass carboy & I'm pretty sure he boiled the bag.

Howdy neighbor! And fellow brew of the same name! The color of that photo is funny, but it looks like the hop bag may have broken, loose pellets on top of a beer can looks slimey and gross. If not, it could be a killer mold. I agree with the try it n see approach. You'll know right away if something infected your brew.

Back