Dry Hopped Honey Saison - Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgerton13

Reaction score
Doing two batches this coming Sunday, and working on piecing together this recipe. Going to be "Grand Cru" saison as it is well above the typical 4.5-6% abv of a good dry saison. I know getting the honey flavour to actually come through is the hardest part, so thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

Grain bill:
8 lb american pilsner
2 lb american vienna
2 lb flaked wheat

Hops:
2 oz Perle
1 oz Saaz
2 oz Mosaic

Extras:
3 lbs honey
3 tsps yeast nutrient
1x whirlfloc

Yeast:
White Labs WLP670

Schedule:
Mash at 152, dropping to 150 over 60 minutes
raise Mash temp to 168, rest for 10 minutes
recirculate and fly sparge, collecting 7.5 gallons

1.5 oz Perle at 60 mins
1 oz Saaz at 20
yeast nutrients and whirlfloc at 10
.5 oz Perle and 1lb Honey at flameout

chill to 75 and pitch a 1L starter.
primary fermentation at 75 for 7 days
transfer to secondary at 7 days
2 lb honey when transferring to secondary
2 oz mosaic at 10 days

debating whether to keg or bottle, but either way that will be at 14 days.

I would be flexible on your fermentation schedule. I don't think 14 days will be near enough, especially given the fact that WLP670 has a Brett component. From what I have read some are fermenting this blend out to two months.

I didnt think 670 had brett, but I'm sure I'm mixing it up with another saison strain. Might just go with WLP 590 or wyeast 3711 then. do you have a preference between those two? I have a black brett saison bottled right now, so dont need another brett right now.

any other thoughts though? or look good otherwise?

You might also consider using a little honey malt. It has a very distinct honey taste. Normally I wouldn't use it in a saison (as it is a crystal-type malt), but with the large amount of simple sugar you're getting from the honey combined with high-attenuation you will surely get from your yeast, I think it is safe to say that you will still dry out your beer without issue.

On another note, WLP670 is indeed a two-strain blend -- one sacch strain and one Brett.

If you were going to switch to one of those other options, I'm a big fan of 3711.

Latest posts

Back