Lallemand Farmhouse Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For a ~1-gallon batch:

1 lb. pale ale
1 lb. white wheat
0.25 lb biscuit
0.25 lb. aromatic

2 g Marynka (9.2) @ 60
4 g Sybilla (8.2) @ 10
6 g Sybilla hop stand @ 160 F

Lallemand Farmhouse

The recipe looks a little wit-ish, though I suppose you could also think of it as a table-strength pale saison.

I've never used this yeast, but it sounded interesting and I bought a few packs. My uninformed guess is that with lower attenuation than other saison yeasts it would be more suited to a session-strength ale; on my system this recipe should hit ~1.045. Sybilla is one of my new favorite hops; it's Saaz-like, but more floral.

I'm still deciding as to whether to use white wheat or red (or maybe even rye), and aromatic or melanoidin or something else in the toasty category.

Please share both general feedback and experiences with this yeast!

My thinking was that a session beer needs a flavor boost, and better to get it from base/toasted malts than crystal. But I’m still learning the ins and outs of aromatic malt.

I've used this yeast twice for saisons and really like it. I liked the flavors I got when fermented at 78F. It does not attenuate as low as other saison yeasts, but low enough in my opinion. I agree that the amount of biscuit and aromatic seem high; it may be fine for what you're going for. What is the predicted FG with the recipe?

Back