dry hop with columbus or amarillo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neomantra

Reaction score
Here's the recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/328956/belgian-dubbel-recipes/hoppy-belgian-dubbel

It's basically a Chimay clone in terms of the grain profile, but then I just ignored the normal hops additions and threw a ton of amarillo and columbus in there instead.

I was debating changing it up to a columbus dry hop instead of amarillo after smelling the beer while taking my SG sample. The columbus seems like it might go better with the fruity aroma coming from the abbey yeast. Any thoughts on that?

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on creating hoppy belgian dark beers I'd love to hear your ideas on recipe formulation or suggestions on commercial beers like this that are worth trying.

I'd tend to lean towards Amarillo with Belgian yeast because it is fruitier, but either could work (or maybe a blend of the two). I find Columbus to be danker, so it would add something new to the aroma where the Amarillo might just be complimentary. Good luck

I agree a blend could work well. maybe a 1.5: 1 or 1.5 : 0.5 ratio of amarillo to columbus. This is how I work in Chinook into my simcoe/centennial dry hop.

cool, thanks for the feedback!

it's already got some good amarillo aroma going from the flameout addition. i think i'm looking to add a little of that dank or pungent columbus smell but perhaps adding another kick of amarillo probably wouldn't hurt if i do the blend.

Back