dry hop primary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzuki98

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch a few days ago and I forgot (actually miss placed them) the finishing hops during boil. I read on here to dry hop during primary. I did that but I put the hops in at the beginning of fermentation instead towards the end. My question is......am I ruined? If not what should I expect from this batch?

By adding hops during fermentation, the yeast and CO2 remove a lot of the aroma, ie the reason for adding dry hops in the first place (dry hops do not add more bitterness, just aroma).
If you want, you can move the beer to a secondary vessel once fermentation is done (to remove your poorly timed dry hops), and then dry hop for a week. I suggest this because having dry hops in the beer for weeks at time can contribute to a grassy or vegetal flavor.
Or just forget it, and package beer as normal. It will be fine but not exactly as the recipe intended bc you kinda messed up during brew day.

beers are only dry hopped near the end, and then only for a week, because the longer they're in there, the more bitter they turn the beer.

dry hopping will not impact bitterness all that much. Leaving dry hops too long however has been implicated in creating excessive grassy/vegetal flavors.

out of curiosity, what was the hop schedule for the brew, and which ones did you miss?

if you missed the finishing hops completely the grassy/piney/floral aroma might be lacking, but you'll definitely be able to compensate with dry hopping. if you missed the flavoring hops, there won't be a whole lot you can do to compensate there. my advice would be to note exactly what was missed and how it contributes / detracts from the final product, that way you'll know what to avoid or do again if you want to. cheers!

thanks for the info guys, I think I will do a secondary.

bsap-I brewed Northern Brewers White House Honey Ale Beer Kit...The hop schedule was 45 for the first and 5min for second ( I forget the name of the hops, I think the first was UK Kent and second was fuggle?)

i wouldn't sweat it, especially since the style doesn't lean too much on the hops for flavor. let us know how it comes out!

Back