Dry Hop a Beer That's Going to Age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danath34

Reaction score
Hey all, I've done some searching, but can't seem to come to a solid answer. I've got a big Barleywine in the fermenter right now, that I plan on aging for a year or more in bombers. I'm contemplating whether or not it will be worth it to dry hop it before bottling. I know a good alternative is to bulk age for the majority of aging then dry hop and bottle, but I'd rather get it in bottles sooner to free up a fermenter.

For what it's worth, here's the recipe. Even though it's already brewed, I'd also welcome recipe critique if anything stands out. I was going for a very big, malt forward English Barleywine but with an American yeast (San Diego super)

21lb Marris Otter
3lb Munich
1lb victory
8oz crystal 120
8oz crystal 90
8oz wheat
8oz carapils

3oz magnum @ 60
1oz ea of EKG & Fuggles @ 15 & 10

3hr boil, batch size 5.5gal

OG 1.129
FG 1.026

No one's saying you can't dry hop, but the longer you age, the less hop flavor you can count on. The majority of hop flavor in a standard beer just doesn't seem to last more than 6 months, however I don't know the effects of hopping the living hell out of a beer with the intent of aging it.

Dry-hop that sucker. Even if you lose 80% of the hop aroma after a year, that 20% left is 20% more than you would have had otherwise.

:)

I'd have to go back and find the exact excerpts but you should dry hop a barley wine. It isn't done for the reasons we think of today (big aroma) but for aging purposes. I believe the beta acids have something to do with preservation.

Excerpt from Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels:

"Whether you use English or American varieties, you will want to add some aroma hops to your formulation. Among NHC second-round recipes, rates for dry hopping ranged from 1 to 6 ounces in a 5-gallon batch, with the average being 1.9 ounces."

funny, I almost started a thread on this a coupla weeks ago. making a ris that I plan to age for up to ten+ years. the recipe says dry hop, but is this just a waste of time/money?

I'd have to go back and find the exact excerpts but you should dry hop a barley wine. It isn't done for the reasons we think of today (big aroma) but for aging purposes. I believe the beta acids have something to do with preservation.

+1. Hops are naturally antibacterial, and antifungal. It should help preserve an aged beer if nothing else.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll try the "dry hop the hell out of" it method. I'm thinking 4oz total.

funny, I almost started a thread on this a coupla weeks ago. making a ris that I plan to age for up to ten+ years. the recipe says dry hop, but is this just a waste of time/money?

10+ years?? Damn! And to think I'm doubting whether I'll have the determination to wait ONE year!

well to clarify im going to bottle 15-20 or so and drink one a year until they go bad.

Latest posts

Back