Drinking beer at 7 in the morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sks8686

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Their are all kinds of negatives to working night shift (6 pm to 6 am here). Missing out on family time, all the best tv shows are on in the evening. Thank god for dvr. But one plus is coming home and being able to have a wonderful home brew at 7 in the morning. I came home this morning and cracked open a tasty hefeweizen for breakfast mmmmmm good.

I worked midnights for years, some of it in Brooklyn. There was a bar that catered to night shift cops and firemen, "The Callbox". I forget whether they opened at 8 or 9am.
Cheers!

Haha, nice! Yeah my wife's a nurse and she did the night shift thing for a while. 7p-7a. Every once in while she'd pour herself a nice glass of wine around 8am and send me a picture of it while I was drinking my coffee at the beginning of my work day. Hefe sounds like a good morning beer!

Used to crack a morning brew quite often when I worked nights. Good way to start/end your day.

I worked the 6p - 6a shift for several years. We had a little bar down the road from work that opened at 7am. There would be a line of cars in the parkinglot and everyone carried a little six pack cooler to hold them over till the place opened. If noon ever caught you still at the bar it was going to be a long night at work!

I can't say that I "drink" beer that early in the morning..... but, I routinely pour samples of beer at 6-7 am on days I am going to keg something, or checking for carbonation, etc....... I want to taste the beer with a clean palate, and first thing in the morning is perfect. No point waiting til I have brushed my teeth or had 4 cups of coffee, etc.
I always draw some off the fermenter and sample before getting keg and everything else ready (in case there is a problem).
If I worked nights, I would be right there with you though and crack one open for breakfast. Seems reasonable for me to want a beer when you get home from work....... better than the alternative of having a few before you go in:)

I worked 6p-6a for a while, and I drank a beer a couple times- most of the time I just went to bed and woke up at around noon and had a beer or two so I'd be stone cold sober before work. It does make it hard to have an alcohol habit though.

Night shift workers excluded. I'm pretty sure drinking by 7am is one of those signs of a possible problem. Unless its a shandy of course cause thats like a beer mimosa or maybe a Cider or any fruit beer and I guess some belgian yeast beers and...

It's not a daily occurrence, but I will usually have a beer (especially on a hot summer day) as I'm finishing up my brew day. Always Saturday or Sunday and usually finishing up between 10-11am. I may pour a glass around 10am or so. Usually not more than 1 at that hour, but whatever. Who cares? It's not like I'm getting drunk or even having a few.

Nothing like being in college, and we'd be up waiting in line at 5 am for the tailgating lots to open at 7 am. It'd be 25°F and we'd be out there drinking beer and shivering. :drunk:

Nothing like being in college, and we'd be up waiting in line at 5 am for the tailgating lots to open at 7 am. It'd be 25°F and we'd be out there drinking beer and shivering. :drunk:

:mug:Here's hoping that you're talking about ISU, the greatest college in Iowa....even if you're not- your statement matches my experience perfectly. I even spent an extra year there because I loved it so much....Also The TipTop Lounge in Ames opens at 6am for free chili and cheap beer.

I work 12 hour shifts in sets of three or four, and alternate between 7 AM-7 PM and 7PM-7AM.

Whether it's AM or PM, I usually try to keep the same schedule: come home, have a few drinks, hit the sack about 9:30, and try to get an uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep.

It helps that I generally do all my eating at work. The control room has a microwave, a toaster oven and an electric hotplate; you'd be amazed what I can whip up on them while still doing my job. And occasionally I'll bring my Dutch oven table and set it up outside when I'm working nights.

Night shift certainly pushes you to adopt practices that others deem inappropriate or untimely. It is socially acceptable for me to have beer after work (at 5 pm) so I think it is socially acceptable (or should be) for you to have one too. Just because you work a **** shift doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy a brew after a long day.

I've drank before 10 before. Brew day (once), just after mowing the lawn (that was before 11), and golfing. I've actually never tailgated. It's a sad sad sad fact.

I don't care what people think. I don't drink daily, I don't get drunk every time I do drink, I worked hard in school, worked hard for my career, and I work hard day in and day out. I pay my bills and I don't make a mess of my own life, mostly. If you want to judge me because I'm in my garage brewing beer and drinking at 10 am then you can certainly do that. In return, I won't be asking you to stop by for a beer … downer!

I used to work nights as a nurse in a busy ICU in Houston. After our bad nights of multiple CPR, trauma, and heart surgery patients having severe complications, most of the staff would stop at a Taco Cabana for breakfast and beers. It was right by the medical center, and we would get tons of funny looks by the day walkers getting their breakfast tacos. We would take off our badges, but still in scrubs. Good stuff.

:mug:Here's hoping that you're talking about ISU, the greatest college in Iowa....even if you're not- your statement matches my experience perfectly. I even spent an extra year there because I loved it so much....Also The TipTop Lounge in Ames opens at 6am for free chili and cheap beer.

I only spent an extra semester, just for one more FB season :cross:

I work 12 hour shifts in sets of three or four, and alternate between 7 AM-7 PM and 7PM-7AM.

Whether it's AM or PM, I usually try to keep the same schedule: come home, have a few drinks, hit the sack about 9:30, and try to get an uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep.

It helps that I generally do all my eating at work. The control room has a microwave, a toaster oven and an electric hotplate; you'd be amazed what I can whip up on them while still doing my job. And occasionally I'll bring my Dutch oven table and set it up outside when I'm working nights.

That's a rough cycle Troy. I did 7-7 for years. But switching every week got too rough and I went to days.

I was just thinking earlier today about what beers I prefer with my breakfast. I tend to like an oatmeal stout as more of a meal replacement with something to nibble on afterward. Blonde ales are good when I want something refreshing to go with my normal breakfast fare of eggs, and bacon or sausage, etc. I don't worry about what time it is when I want a beer as long as I'm not headed into work or going to put myself or others at risk somehow. I just don't find it a big deal.

The social stigma around times for drinking is silly. I never drink before work, but if I'm not working I have one whenever I feel like it. Usually after noon, sometimes prior. I've had a nice raspberry wheat for breakfast before.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm not sure if I've done 7am yet, but at long camping trips, I do have beer for breakfast. Also, my bachelors party started with a Weisswurst breakfast, complete of course only with beer.

The social stigma around times for drinking is silly. I never drink before work, but if I'm not working I have one whenever I feel like it. Usually after noon, sometimes prior. I've had a nice raspberry wheat for breakfast before.

I agree. If Im not working who cares what time I have a cool one. I know plenty of people that drink coffee at night. How dare they?

So I didn't think that I was going to get such a response from this post. Just shows you the power of beer. I'm a cop and rotate every 28 days form days to night. So the way I see it I'm doing the same thing you would do if you were working days just at a different time. I have a sergeant who has worked permanent night for 15 yrs he goes home every morning and has a rocks glass of whiskey. He says he sleeps like a baby, and it is one of the reasons he has made it so long on night's.

For me as long as it's not a problem, it's not a problem.

If I have a problem with the direction I'm taking I ask myself why I'm going there and address that.

I work every third day 24 hours straight (fireman). I love drinking a nice stout in the morning when I come home and brew. Not that often, but I brew early in the morning, kids in bed or at school, its quiet at home and in the neighborhood. I'll relax with a beer, have a great time, dont judge me!

I've been an overnight forklift driver at Sam's club, an over night baker (several times) and a boston bike messenger, all of which require you to adjust your ideas about what time it is acceptable to start drinking.

I work at night and get off at 4am. I usually get home and brew early. While I am brewing I like to enjoy a beer or two..

Night shift workers excluded. I'm pretty sure drinking by 7am is one of those signs of a possible problem.

Being out of bed by 7am is one of those signs of a possible problem.

Once, when I found a real good deal on a box of French oysters, the wife and I had oysters on the half-shell and a bottle of champagne in a bucket of ice, along with some fried asparagus and sunny side up eggs. For breakfast. That was a real problem, let me tell you :p

Then again, sometimes we just skip the oysters for breakfast...

SAM_3885.JPG

Once, when I found a real good deal on a box of French oysters, the wife and I had oysters on the half-shell and a bottle of champagne in a bucket of ice, along with some fried asparagus and sunny side up eggs. For breakfast. That was a real problem, let me tell you :p

SAM_3885.JPG

Looks like a great breakfast

Agreed. Hell, even monks drink beer for breakfast.

I generally try to keep any alcoholic beverages for when I'm not only done work but also home for the rest of the day. No point in having a couple beer to celebrate being home then realizing that the only food you have in the house for dinner is potatoes that have started to sprout. "Crap! I wish I could go shopping now!" Exaggerated.

When I worked a couple overnights it wouldn't be uncommon to be having a beer or whiskey on the rocks when my father came downstairs to make himself breakfast. His work had him near many people of the general public on a day to day basis and commented that I wasn't the only night shift worker who had the same idea. Done work? Have a drink.

On occasion I've even drank at work. If a client is buying lunch and offers a beer I take them up on the offer. And once, I even brought beer to my workplace for the intention of having it while working. The owner of the company was there at the time and asked if I was serious, to which I said yes. Granted that was an unconventional shift for unusual reasons, so I went with the flow and threw everything normal out the window.

SAM_3885.JPG

I see a problem with that….A-1 sauce. :p
I'm not on oyster fan but I'd sit down to that for breakfast.

I see a problem with that….A-1 sauce. :p
I'm not on oyster fan but I'd sit down to that for breakfast.

I don't even remember why that A-1 sauce was there. Probably had just been stationed there sort of semi-permanently.

I've been working shift work as an air traffic controller for going on 27 years now. Back in the early 90's in my Washington DC days I had many Hospital Center friends. We all worked midnight shifts, then we would meet at the Tune Inn for beers and breakfast. The Tune Inn was this funky dive a few blocks east of Capitol Hill. The place had rustic feel to it, with various dead animal heads mounted on the walls covered in thick dust. The place was a complete dump, I'm guessing it's no longer there.

Many a morning (okay afternoons) I stumbled out of that place. What a weird feeling it was to step out into the hustle and bustle of Capitol Hill after sitting in that place for a few hours. :drunk:

What's even better is to stand on your lawn watching all the people drive off to work in the morning while drinking a beer. Soak up those judgmental looks like sun rays. :cool:

Love it!! I haven't had a "job" in 35 years. I have a breakfast beer occasionally. Next time, I'll keep those words in mind, and stand out where those poor suckers can see me!!

H.W.

There is not an hour of the day I haven't had a beer. Not before or at work, but I don't care what time it is. The stigma is ridiculous.

So I didn't think that I was going to get such a response from this post. Just shows you the power of beer. I'm a cop and rotate every 28 days form days to night. So the way I see it I'm doing the same thing you would do if you were working days just at a different time. I have a sergeant who has worked permanent night for 15 yrs he goes home every morning and has a rocks glass of whiskey. He says he sleeps like a baby, and it is one of the reasons he has made it so long on night's.

Oilfield worker here, I work 14 days on and 7 off, 6-6, one set of 14 is days and the next is nights. The BEST beer I've ever drank is at 7 am when I get in from a night shift, the house is quiet, I'm watching the newest Walking Dead on dvr, it's the best feeling! When my wells are further away I'm often gone 15-16 hours a day, on those days I don't drink but if it's an hour drive or less I'm bad to have a couple before I crash. I try to tell all the other guys all the time how great it is to have a brew after a night shift. When I'm on days I don't care much at all for drinking after work, kinda funny huh? Right now I worked on my off week to get some extra money, I'm on week number 4/5 of straight 12s, oilfield strong!

I don't like the way I wake up after 7am beer (headache, disorentation, having to pee). Lately I've been having a few in the afternoon (I had been going all week without, waiting for the weekend) and as a homebrewer, I think this is the ticket. If I have a couple too many I can just take a nap, nap is a good idea anyways cause who really gets more than 5-7 hours sleep during the day anyways?

Back