Double Wooden BIAB Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esiole

Reaction score
I was getting tired of hauling my brewing equipment up from the basement, so I needed to make a storage/stand solution for the garage. It needed to be both compact and mobile, as with two kids, garage space is severely limited. As I searched for inspiration, I came upon this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/wooden-biab-stand.529540/. So, big shout out to u/JPicasso for the inspiration.

I first started by determining how much space I would need for my burners and pots.
IMG_2407.JPG

Then I built up the walls such that they would be taller than the kettles so that I could lay the overhead supports flat for storage.
IMG_2776.JPG

Then I built on from there
IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

So the stand wouldn’t go up in flames, I attached cement board and added locking casters for mobility. I made it such that the stand would be tall enough so the kettles can gravity drain into my fermenter.
IMG_2789.JPG

To hang the bag, I put 1/2inch dowel rods into the ends of the uprights. The uprights slide into a channel I built into the sides. I drilled holes into the crossbar so that it can slide together, and be taken down for storage.
IMG_2816.JPG
IMG_2818.JPG

Last but not least, I ordered some collapsible shelf brackets and made a shelf that can pop out on brew day, and fold down for storage
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG

That’s where I’m at so far. It’s really heavy but rolls nicely on the casters. I also need to put down tile or something on the bottom for spills. I’ve used it for one brew day so far and it worked beautifully. Here it is in its home between brew days
57498871525__2E2F59D4-F453-4C96-AFC5-B3823A6DADC5.JPG

Nice job--I like the design. Nice touches with the channels to insert the uprights, and that the frame can be broken down into individual boards for better storage. Wish I had gone that route, as mine is just a removable rigid frame.

Tiling the bottom would be good, though you could just spray with high-temp paint to protect the durock from spills.

Nice job--I like the design. Nice touches with the channels to insert the uprights, and that the frame can be broken down into individual boards for better storage. Wish I had gone that route, as mine is just a removable rigid frame.

Tiling the bottom would be good, though you could just spray with high-temp paint to protect the durock from spills.

Thanks. The 2x4 I used as a spacer for one of the channels was apparently a tiny bit smaller than the upright, so I had to sand the upright so it would fit.

The high temp paint may be the way to go for me. I’ve never tiled anything before. Maybe when I want to teach myself, I’ll learn on this.

This is my stand, before I painted the durock. I might re-do the hoist frame to a break-down thing like yours. And bigger casters--the 2" versions on mine get tripped up on every little bump.

View attachment 628709

Nice, I wanted to make it so the propane tank fits on the stand like that, but it was already taking up a lot of space.

I used 4” casters on mine, it gets around just fine.

Latest posts

Back