Double dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianb17

Reaction score
I'm a fan of ipa's with big aromas. I was thinking of double dry hopping my ipa. I dry hopped at the beginning of the primary and I just racked to the secondary.

I would hold up on the dry hopping at least until fermentation is done.

You can added hops at different times, and I have done it with varying IPA’s. I usually dry hop once for 14 days, then again for 7 days. The results have been very good.

dry hopping in primary seems like a bad idea to me unless you are trying to maximize the amount of yeast you transfer into the secondary (and i know you weren't trying to do that). the yeast gets suspended on the hops and mixes into the beer while you are transferring.

...plus hops aroma degrades rapidly at room/fermentation temperature.

if you want to get that crazy/extreme with your hops aroma, you should try building a randalizer. google it if you don't know what i'm talking about.

I just googled randallizer. It looks like a great idea but as of now I dont have a kegging system, im slumming it with bottles,

Is their anything I can do to minimize hop aroma loss?

Drink it ASAP... Once it's carbonated, start pulling/pouring pints and don't stop. :mug::tank:

I found that after about a one to one and a half months from going to keg, my dry hopped IPA had lost a good amount of the wonderful aroma/flavor from the 1.5oz each EKG and Fuggles I added (for a week). It still has some, but not nearly as much as when it was younger.

If you add a good amount of hops during the final ~10 minutes (at multiple steps) you should retain more aroma/flavor when it goes to glass. Do some dry hopping to help round it out and you should get something really good. In the English IPA currently in primary, I added a full ounce of EKG (7.2% AA) at 20 minutes, 15 minutes, 10 minutes and 1 minute... Used just over an ounce at 60 minutes for the bittering backbone. I'll be dry hopping it with 1oz each of EKG and Fuggles for a week (same time frame as before, just a bit less hops). I might bag the hops this time, to get better saturation of them (probably a bag for each of the type). I have some 1" chrome balls I can sanitize and include in the bags (I ferment in sanke kegs, so it's safe to drop metal balls into them).

Whatever you end up doing, be sure to take notes. That way if you really like the result, you can repeat it later. If you don't like it, you at least know what you did so you can alter it. :rockin:

1. I find I get the best hop aromas from multiple additions. A typical IPA I'll dry hop 2-4oz. I'll split those into 2-3 additions and add them over the course of 2 weeks. Be sure to rouse the hops as well (swirl the carboy).

2. Drink your hoppy beers young. I find that the big, bold dry-hop aromas fade from my beers in about 1-2 months after it was pulled off the dry hops. Savor those hoppy beers, but don't save them.

Back