Dont listen to Charlie Papazian!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarr21

Reaction score
We have all heard the catch phrase of his famed book
"Relax. Dont worry and have a homebrew."

This is what happens when you have a troublesome brew day and take his advice too literally. 1407370401116.jpg
If you cant tell that is 5 gallons of beer outside the keg1407370415026.jpg
That is the level it filled my (very thankfully not leaking) fermentation chamber up to1407370430967.jpg

I learned much of what I know from Charlie's books and dont blame him for my lack of moderation.

Just next time phrase it.."relax. Dont get drunk and put your blow off hose on the liquid port of your corny keg"

Yep, I've learned to wait to have a beer until the boil is almost done... too easy to get too tipsy... especially if friends are over.... which is why I typically brew solo as we'll :mug:

Everybody has there disasters, I just keep goin on! Cheers!

Yikes! Crossing fingers that this never happens to me (I also ferment in corny kegs...)

Agreed, we all have done something... odd. At least you had the 'nads to post it!

Holy cr@p! <crosses self three times with great vigor>

What the heck actually happened there?

Sorry for your loss, of course.
The next draw will be in honor of lost beer everywhere...

Cheers! :mug:

I always brew in the early morning, so I'm not having a homebrew. But for the later steps after fermentation I usually have one in hand.

I also learned the hard way to wait till brew day is done to have a beer. It's me reward for getting the job done right! :mug:

Drunken Monkey is a style of Kung Fu not a legitimate brewing method. If you cannot pluck the hop pellet from the master's hand (because you see three of them) then let restraint and humility be your guide until the brewday is done.

Holy cr@p! <crosses self three times with great vigor>

What the heck actually happened there?

Sorry for your loss, of course.
The next draw will be in honor of lost beer everywhere...

Cheers! :mug:

he put his blow off on the "beer out" post and fermentation generated CO2 pushed his beer out of the keg

The main reason I went with pin locks over ball locks is that I am likely to do something like that without beverage assistance. My condolences for your loss :(

I try not to drink while brewing... but man... it's just too much fun to look at the boiling wort and the beer in hand and say "Soon I will have more of this".

... and then cringe as my new latina neighbors yell obscenities at each other in two languages and drag their kid around by one arm...

Then I have one more in honor of my wonderful parents.

x2 on the brewing with friends. I have screwed up big time, like taking the hose off of the brew kettle with the valve open. So I try to only drink one beer to toast a successful brew day.

x2 on the brewing with friends. I have screwed up big time, like taking the hose off of the brew kettle with the valve open. So I try to only drink one beer to toast a successful brew day.

I JUST did this two weeks ago...

Running my pump, shut the pump off, disconnected the camlock fitting from the whirlpool and oops.. Forgot to shut the valve... Sweet wort spewing from the kettle all over the floor...

I kind of just stood there for a second or two (but seemed like minutes) and then quickly shut the valve after I realized what was happening.

Chalk it up to experience... we ALL have had these issues.

We have all heard the catch phrase of his famed book
"Relax. Dont worry and have a homebrew."

This is what happens when you have a troublesome brew day and take his advice too literally. View attachment 216064
If you cant tell that is 5 gallons of beer outside the kegView attachment 216065
That is the level it filled my (very thankfully not leaking) fermentation chamber up toView attachment 216066

I learned much of what I know from Charlie's books and dont blame him for my lack of moderation.

Just next time phrase it.."relax. Dont get drunk and put your blow off hose on the liquid port of your corny keg"

You are doing it wrong. RDWHAHB.

Drunken Monkey is a style of Kung Fu not a legitimate brewing method. If you cannot pluck the hop pellet from the master's hand (because you see three of them) then let restraint and humility be your guide until the brewday is done.

This is wise, young beermaker...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Condolences on your loss. ;)

I'm confused about what should have happened though. Did you mean to put your blowoff on the gas in port in order to carb your kegged beer with CO2 from the fermentation?

Here is the positive spin...."Think of this as a learning experience". Sorry, that's all I got to offer. :-(

he put his blow off on the "beer out" post and fermentation generated CO2 pushed his beer out of the keg
But how? My blowoff is vinyl tubing and has no connections for a keg.
The main reason I went with pin locks over ball locks is that I am likely to do something like that without beverage assistance. My condolences for your loss :(

Honestly, I cannot imagine this being a ball vs pin lock issue. Not even certain I get how a blow off managed to fit on a liquid post of a keg. In fact, I am clearly confused.

But how? My blowoff is vinyl tubing and has no connections for a keg.

Honestly, I cannot imagine this being a ball vs pin lock issue. Not even certain I get how a blow off managed to fit on a liquid post of a keg. In fact, I am clearly confused.

As much as I don't want to type all this out...

A blow off just generally a large airlock, and can take many forms.

He is clearly fermenting in a keg, and using a keg fitting with tubing as his blow off.

With a ball lock keg you can reverse the QD fitting, gas in and beer out. Which is what he did, attached his "blow off" to the beer out(IE the post that has a dip tube)

With a pin lock keg the fittings are not reversible and this this problem could not have happened, unless he confused the QD fittings

With a pin lock keg the fittings are not reversible and this this problem could not have happened, unless he confused the QD fittings

The disconnect fittings for ball lock kegs aren't exactly reversible/interchangable either. They'll click on if you press hard enough, but they're murder to remove again if you get them backwards. I've made the mistake of attaching my gas QD to my "liquid out" post before, and darn near broke the thing trying to pry it back off.

Grey = Gas
Black = Beverage

Einherjar said:
I'm confused about what should have happened though. Did you mean to put your blowoff on the gas in port in order to carb your kegged beer with CO2 from the fermentation?

As described, he meant to connect a vinyl tube with a gas QD fitting on the end (presumably secured with a barb and a hose clamp) to the "gas in" post of the keg, with the other end simply open, and draped into a pail of water/star san. If he'd connected it properly, the CO2 produced during fermentation would have escaped through the "gas in" post, out the tube, and into the bucket of water. But since he connected it to the "liquid out" post instead, the CO2 produced during fermentation built up in the headspace of the keg (since it was sealed), and pushed the fermenting beer out the liquid post, through the blowoff tube, and into the bucket, eventually overflowing and spilling into the rest of the fermentation chamber.

As much as I don't want to type all this out...

A blow off just generally a large airlock, and can take many forms.

He is clearly fermenting in a keg, and using a keg fitting with tubing as his blow off.

With a ball lock keg you can reverse the QD fitting, gas in and beer out. Which is what he did, attached his "blow off" to the beer out(IE the post that has a dip tube)

Well thank you for typing that all out. ;) The confusion came with the carboy that is clearly fermenting and I thought he was fermenting in his keezer. Now I follow and my day can move on because I was super curious.

Oh my...

Looking at those kegs I thought he forgot to put his temperature probe back in the keezer, and it froze and burst the kegs. Shame about the beer, but I s'pose what actually happened is incrementally not as sucky as it could have been...

Cheers!

I have messed up a few batches due to having too many drinks while brewing.

I now try to keep it to 1 beer during the process.. gotta keep your concentration

Only took me 1 extract brew to learn that lesson. After multiple massive boil overs lol.

One more lesson with all grain as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

sorry to burst y'alls bubble..but you can still mess up. I drank two tall boy labatt blues & a fifth of vodka while brewing one of my hybrid lagers once. I woke up some 45 minutes late to finish the boil. It was off! Dammit, Beavis! It actually came out a tad better. Surely goodness & mercy had followed me all of my days...since it worked out anyway.
The moral here is to never say never...again! :mug:

Kinda did the same thing. Brewed up a nice pot of Amber ale wort whilst having a few homebrews with a friend and accidentally typed the whole kettle into the ice bath water. Next time I brewed sober and alone haha.

Wow that looks like you relaxed a little too much. :tank: I've learned to keep mthe the drinking down while brewing. I usually wait till towards the end of the boil. I f I start earlier, usually one for each step in the process.:fro::mug:

I don't even know if I should even risk that haha. All of my problems seem to occurr post-boil.

Back