Don't drink (heavily) and brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quit smoking cigarettes when mine was about a year old. These days I do enjoy a cigar once in a while though...

:off: Thats how/why I quit smoking 26 years ago. I'm sure my wife put him up to it!! Sure can breathe better now though..

I don't smoke, but it is half the reason I normally brew outside on my burner instead of in the kitchen on my electric range. Less complaining from the wife about clean up and my older son about the stinky smell.

Listen kid, if you behaved better daddy wouldn't need to drink so much, so I wouldn't have to brew as often.

Just saying :D

Listen kid, if you behaved better daddy wouldn't need to drink so much, so I wouldn't have to brew as often.
I believe that's an excerpt from the little known, non-bestselling childrens book Daddy Drinks Because You Cry, yes? ;) I might have one or two when making something , but anymore, I make meads, and it's a lot faster and not as time crucial as brewing....hard to mess up a mead, other than either poor sanitization or poor recipe choices....heck, there's no boiling involved (unless making a braggot, I guess) :) As far as drinking in the a.m., I work 12 hour night shifts doing floor nursing .... if I want a beer or a mead at 08:00, AND I worked the night before, I'm entitled to it, dammit....it's like dinner time for the "real world" and it's DEFINITELY "happy hour" when I get outta that place, adult beverages or not!!!

My semi-fitting story is don't have a drunk girlfriend by you when making Ice Cream. I was making a custard, basically a chocolate covered oreo ice cream. it was really freaking good. At some point we were gonna make a mint ice cream, forget when, but I digress. ANyway while I had my back turned or something she snuck some mint extract into my Oreo ice cream. Now a little mint extract would have been fine. I was tired and buzzed so I didn't catch it (not that that would have mattered) so I put the ice cream in the freezer to set up. Come the next day, I open the ice cream and my nose does an immediate WTF. I couldn't understand how mint got into it. Turns out she dumped a solid half an ounce of mint extract into an ice cream that mind you already had vanilla extract in there. It was terrible. It was like eating creamy listerine. Just terrible.

During my first ever brew, I consulted a friend of a friend for some advice. He goes "ok, first thing's first. Open a beer."

The rest is history.

The more I drink, the longer it takes me to brew.
Have a beer while heating mash water. Oh, it's too hot. I'll have a beer while it cools a bit. Now it's cooled too much, better have a beer while it heats. Repeat. Several times.

I generally wait until the boil to grab my first beer. So far that's worked well, at least with regards to "mistakes".

Back