Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, but my home is a controlled environment free from dangers that police dogs are exposed to. It really has nothing to do with rather or not my dog may be happier elsewhere.
To an extent, for working dogs it kind of does. A Pyrenees in its natural environment is exposed to a much higher level of danger than most police dogs. Australian Cattle Dogs as well.

These are but two examples of dogs with purpose in a dangerous line of work that often suffer from not having that meaningful work to do. I would not swear the GSD falls in that category but it is close. The Spinger Spaniels, Labs, Beagles...probably not so much but the danger in their roles as detection dogs is also less dangerous.

As we integrate these former working breeds more and more into our lives as pets only, we slowly forget they used to be trusted flock guardians, home protection and the means to put food on our tables. Their secondary purpose was companions.

Down boy, I know what working dogs are. I've worked with a lot of them. Sorry if I came off as a hippy peta person because I have mixed feeling about LE use.

I have mixed feeling about LE using dogs since the dog has no say...

If Arko had a say, he would be finding dope, running towards gunfire and removing flesh from felon seven days a week. The only way we can get these dogs to perform the tasks we expect them to is because they absolutely love it.

Down boy, I know what working dogs are. I've worked with a lot of them. Sorry if I came off as a hippy peta person because I have mixed feeling about [bold]LE use[/bold].

Trust me, not attacking...just informing IF you were one of the uninformed. In this case it sounds as if you are not so it was unnecessary.

Like I said, my Pyr would rather be out ranging than hanging out on the couch most of the time but she is happier with me that she was in her prior home. Still, I have to control her barking when she "warns" all the potential threats that she is here...even if there are none to see.

I tend to not choose dogs that get destructive when bored because I feel it is not fair to them and potentially not fair to the rest of the pack. No herding breeds or sporting breeds...unless they get dumped on me.

I tend to not choose dogs that get destructive when bored because I feel it is not fair to them and potentially not fair to the rest of the pack. No herding breeds or sporting breeds...unless they get dumped on me.

That's why I'm surprised what a couch potato my Sheltie is. Once he grew out of his "chew everything" puppy stage, he never really had any destructive tendencies, and is perfectly content laying somewhere where he can see what the humans are up to.

On the flip side, the Border Collie my buddy used to have was definitely under-stimulated. All the doorknobs in the house had teeth marks (the dog learned how to open doors with his mouth), and he used to drag up rocks from the woods in the backyard and stack them against the side of the house.

Wife and I signed the papers on adopting a rescued puppy this weekend. Apparently they found mom and her 9 pups abandoned under an old dog house with no collar or microchip. The whole litter and the mom were up for adoption. Pups are a mix of Boxer, Pit Bull, Lab, and German Shepard. We'll be bringing him home next weekend. 8 weeks old when we get him.
Will be taking badass name suggestions :p

Thanks for all the suggestions!
We had a pretty hard time naming this little guy. We considered a bunch of brewing/beer, mythological, sci-fi, and just plain badass names but finally settled on...
Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

We're both fans of the late Firefly and since he has a brown coat (badumtss) it just sort of worked. Plus he aims to misbehave :p

The only down side is now wife wants to get him a pretty floral bonnet.

side by side.jpg

We had a pretty hard time naming this little guy. We considered a bunch of brewing/beer, mythological, sci-fi, and just plain badass names but finally settled on...

We're both fans of the late Firefly and since he has a brown coat (badumtss) it just sort of worked. Plus he aims to misbehave :p

CMR or CoMHeRe for short.

Firefly!!

Wally, my 15 year old Bernese Mountain Dog, adopted at age 11, is finally near the end. We adopted him at age 11 to give him one good last year. Through diet and exercise he dropped 25 pounds in a year and became a more active, fun loving version of his sedate, empathetic, loving self.

Just before the last race about 1 week ago I noticed he was getting occasionally brown saliva which for him means one of his rotten teeth is abscessed or the gums infected. At his age, body type and size, extraction with anesthetic is not an option.

He runs out of breath going from the house to the back yard. His ankles are fused in the rear and he rarely can get up on the couch to rest his head in my lap.

He was the star of the race this and many weekends and a valiant team captain but the end is near. He has had an epic life and lived almost twice the average age of his breed. I will not watch him suffer but I will do a single round of antibiotics to see if it clears it up.

He will be missed but he has literally change my life and attitude to dog adoption. People may still dump dogs on me but I will only actively pick elder giant breed from now on.

Wally is a track celebrity and everyone knows him with me as only Wally's dad.

10170904_664367190301355_9082158538827211359_n.jpg

Meet Geronimo! :D
Loves playing in snow (eating even more).

Jealous. Could be Wally's great grandson.

Both my Pyr and Bernie eat snow. The Bernie will just lay in it for hours where the Pyr will dive into drifts and go crazy doing donuts.

Tesla barked at the front door at 5:30am this morning. For a dog that I've only heard bark a couple dozen times over 18ish month, it was a bit unsettling.

Wally, my 15 year old Bernese Mountain Dog, adopted at age 11, is finally near the end. We adopted him at age 11 to give him one good last year. Through diet and exercise he dropped 25 pounds in a year and became a more active, fun loving version of his sedate, empathetic, loving self.

Just before the last race about 1 week ago I noticed he was getting occasionally brown saliva which for him means one of his rotten teeth is abscessed or the gums infected. At his age, body type and size, extraction with anesthetic is not an option.

He runs out of breath going from the house to the back yard. His ankles are fused in the rear and he rarely can get up on the couch to rest his head in my lap.

He was the star of the race this and many weekends and a valiant team captain but the end is near. He has had an epic life and lived almost twice the average age of his breed. I will not watch him suffer but I will do a single round of antibiotics to see if it clears it up.

He will be missed but he has literally change my life and attitude to dog adoption. People may still dump dogs on me but I will only actively pick elder giant breed from now on.

Wally is a track celebrity and everyone knows him with me as only Wally's dad.

Sorry to hear - sounds like an awesome dog. Such a hard thing to do. :(

Sorry to hear - sounds like an awesome dog. Such a hard thing to do. :(

He is. Not sure how much of it was nature (breed), nurture (story from the original owner was heartbreaking) or just advanced age. He just lets nothing phase him.

Young pups being rowdy..he'd play for minute. Keep pestering him, he would bop them with a giant paw and walk away.

110 cars with not great mufflers whizzing past him every 2 minutes...no problem, go find a pretty girl to pet him and fall asleep in the shade.

30 strangers in his house for an end of season party...crash under the buffet and wait for dropped tidbits...then find a pretty girl to pet him.

Wally has responded to the antibiotics and is actually doing very well right now. Got up on the couch every night this week. The odds of lasting are low but the odds of him having made it to 15 were even lower so there is hope.

Sounds like Wally has had one heck of a great life with you and both are better for it. My heart hurts for what you are going through, but smiles for what you have been through.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we lose them.

I had to say goodbye to my best friend on Saturday. His name was Fonzie...he was a 14.5 year old Cocker Spaniel. It was the hardest thing i've ever had to do, but I know it was the right decision. Yesterday I brewed a beer in his honor. I named it "Bugaboo Brown". Bug (or Bugaboo) was my wife's nickname for him. Rest in peace buddy. :(

20151023_172902.png

I had to say goodbye to my best friend on Saturday. His name was Fonzie...he was a 14.5 year old Cocker Spaniel. It was the hardest thing i've ever had to do, but I know it was the right decision. Yesterday I brewed a beer in his honor. I named it "Bugaboo Brown". Bug (or Bugaboo) was my wife's nickname for him. Rest in peace buddy. :(

Sorry to hear about Fonzie, my 'Scilla and Goombah will play with him until you can be together again

- if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went
Will Rogers

Sorry to hear, man. :( Nothin' like losin a best friend like that. I am sure he had a wonderful home with you for years, but he's probably up there playing like when he was a pup with all the rest of the ones we have all lost.

Yeah, it is always heartbreaking. You lose a little piece of you every time but you never lose as much as you gained from them being in your life.

I am sorry for your family's loss. I raise my glass to Fonzie's memory.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we lose them.

Thanks everyone... I know he had a good life. He liked to hang out when i would brew... Once i wasn't paying attention until i smelled burning hair. Turns out Fonzie got his ears a little too close to the burner! He was fine... Didn't even know he did it.

I had to say goodbye to my best friend on Saturday. His name was Fonzie...

Sorry for your loss.

I had to say goodbye to Jake, our 16 year old Beagle two weeks ago. It is one of my most difficult times. Luckily, he made that decision for me.

Here he is enjoying a day at the beach..

Jake_Beach_zpskky5tdua.jpg

Sorry for your loss.

I had to say goodbye to Jake, our 16 year old Beagle two weeks ago. It is one of my most difficult times. Luckily, he made that decision for me.

Here he is enjoying a day at the beach..

Jake_Beach_zpskky5tdua.jpg

Jake had a great " old" look. Sorry for your loss but 16 years is not too shabby.

I may have to finally admit I need professional help...with my newest rescue. I have always, with the help of my ex wife, been able to turn a neglected or abused dog around (we adopt the unadoptable). I know, and implemented a number of training techniques but Hera, a now 8 year old Saint Bernard that was a breeder all her life, is hyper protective of me an my renter but only at home. On a walk, she ignores random dogs and cats and is sociable with strangers...might nip if they retract their hand incorrectly but it is a "don't stop" reaction that I know how to train out.

I think the missing magic element might be the ex-wife/dog whisperer. Hera finally warmed up to her but it took four meetings. Now Hera only need 10 minute on her training collar and then just wants to cover Christy in kisses and fur. We were a good team rescuing almost 9 dogs in our 10 our year union and at least two while we were dating.

Once i wasn't paying attention until i smelled burning hair. Turns out Fonzie got his ears a little too close to the burner! He was fine... Didn't even know he did it.

Yeah, that's happened to me too -- not my dog's hair -- mine!

View attachment 312512
Just adopted Olivia today, 6 month old redbone coonhound :)

Friend of a friend of a friend had/has a redbone named Leo I was very fond of. Not a mean bone is his body, and had a tendency to do stupid things, but when the 5 year old was out of his sight he would get very uncomfortable. He'd go seek the little boy out, and wouldn't go back to eat or play unless he knew he was leaving the kid with mom and/or dad.

I often joked he was my Patronus.

With that said, he had gas that could be weaponized.

Back