Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you ever get to Ashburn, VA (just north of Dulles airport), check out Old Ox Brewery

"no need to check my ID, I'm 21. in dog years"

12961525_1088696124529638_382515570863548446_n.jpg

I just dumped my mash tun outside in a pig pen. I ended up stepping in a hole Kuma, my Akita dug, and twisted my @#$% ankle. Stupid me, I saw the hole on my way out and wasn't watching on my way back. He has to cook tonight dang it, he can do the dishes too. I walked it out pretty much, glad I didn't do a nose dive. I already did that. Ol Tuck didn't dig many holes and this guy is a big time excavator. Not used to it yet.

Anyway I have an 8 gallon batch of Ballantine IPA clone chilling now. Looks and smells great.

I just dumped my mash tun outside in a pig pen. I ended up stepping in a hole Kuma, my Akita dug, and twisted my @#$% ankle. Stupid me, I saw the hole on my way out and wasn't watching on my way back. He has to cook tonight dang it, he can do the dishes too. I walked it out pretty much, glad I didn't do a nose dive. I already did that. Ol Tuck didn't dig many holes and this guy is a big time excavator. Not used to it yet.

Anyway I have an 8 gallon batch of Ballantine IPA clone chilling now. Looks and smells great.

Twisted ankle IPA

Twisted ankle IPA

I like that very much. I hadn't even thought about that aspect even though I tend to name my brews. It works so very well seeing as I go by

Stogie Holler Bootleg

Looks like I'm stuck doing the cooking too.

I take our pup (4 months old) hiking quite a bit on public trails to tire him out. He's always on leash and I'm stretching his distances out slowly. Hit a bit over 5 miles today in two hours.

Anyway, if you take your dog in the woods, put them on leash. For one, it follows LNT principle #6. For another, when your ****ing dog comes tearing up trail barking up a storm at strangers, you put a bad impression of dog owners in their mind. Or, when your springer comes tearing up trail, with teeth flashing, after my puppy, I'm gonna crack it in the face with my hiking pole again.

Spent mile 2.5 - 3.5 trying to keep my pup on trail because he was terrified that another big dog was going to come flying around the corner or out of the bushes. Took all the snacks I had and a good 20 minute play session to get his tail up wagging again so we could have a walk in the woods and not a drag.

2016-04-24 14.11.38.jpg

Anyway, if you take your dog in the woods, put them on leash

That not only applies to the woods. I recently had some dbag walking his big rotweiller 90-100 lbs. off leash in my neighborhood. His dog saw mine and came running at us barking. I pulled my dogs up tight. (I only use short 6' leashes) When his dog got close I kicked him in the head. The Dbag came running across the street yelling at me to never kick his dog. I told him to keep his dog on a leash and if his dog comes at me again I will kick him into tomorrow. His dog weighed more than twice both of mine combined. I have no idea of the dogs temperment but it needed some learning. I do not need my dogs being afraid of other dogs since we have so many in our neighborhood.

If you want your dog off leash do it your own yard. In public they need to be on a leash.

This is my buddy chewy. He turned sixteen last Sunday and then passed on. Missing him like hell.

We will drink a brew for Chewy. It is always tough to lose one our great companions. Unfortunately that is part of having dogs. Fact of life but it really sucks. I cry like a baby everytime I lose one.

We will drink a brew for Chewy. It is always tough to lose one our great companions. Unfortunately that is part of having dogs. Fact of life but it really sucks. I cry like a baby everytime I lose one.

Much appreciated. It's always tougher than I remember. One of his sister's is at least 18y/o. Wife rescued her in highschool and no one knew her age. So we will have to deal with it again sooner than we like.

Here is the rest of them

View attachment 1461536325424.jpg

View attachment 1461536368485.jpg

My trail running partner and I respectfully disagree. A trained dog deserves the freedom to run in the woods the way nature intended it.

Nature never intended trained dogs. Nor did Nature intend to have animals outside of the food chain harassing those in the food chain. Your dog may turn a blind eye to any and all wildlife and just run trails with you without barking or charging other trail users. Many (most?) will not be so well behaved.

As a dog owner, it's a bit upsetting to be looking at all unknown dogs running at me and mine as a threat. Had my kids been with me and I not walking point I'm not sure what would have happened.

This is my buddy chewy. He turned sixteen last Sunday and then passed on. Missing him like hell.

Sorry to hear that. Took a year to decide to get a new pup from when ours past last March. Not gonna lie, I call the puppy by the old dog's name more often than not. He is going to think his name is "Morgan, s***, Scout!"

My trail running partner and I respectfully disagree. A trained dog deserves the freedom to run in the woods the way nature intended it.

You're not alone in the woods. Some dogs that are on leash are not always as friendly as yours. That means, if your friendly dogs come barreling down at mine (who are on leash), your dog is in for a surprise and you're in for an expensive vet bill, which I will not be responsible for, since MY dogs were on leash and under control.

Keep that in mind.

JP

When I take my dogs into the woods I fear three things (and they have encountered all of them)
1) Skunks
2) Porcupines
3) The idiots who think a big dog is going to eat their little mop dog just because he/she is big.

You're not alone in the woods. Some dogs that are on leash are not always as friendly as yours. That means, if your friendly dogs come barreling down at mine (who are on leash), your dog is in for a surprise and you're in for an expensive vet bill, which I will not be responsible for, since MY dogs were on leash and under control.

Keep that in mind.

JP
My dog is a great dog. He's gentle, friendly, loves kids... but we adopted him out of a neglect situation. He was locked in an outdoor kennel with 40 other dogs, mostly unfed through a New Hampshire winter, from November to March. Only 8 of the 40 survived the competition for resources. So when a dog comes bombing down a trail at him, even if your dog just wants to play, my dog gets understandably defensive and responds accordingly.

If you like to take your dog off-leash, that's great. I'm glad you can do that. I wish I could. But please, take your dog to places where a leash isn't a required. Then we can all have a good time in the woods.

It's not the best picture of him. This one's an older pic, but he always looks more in his element outdoors.
574585_10200526243291356_856157704_n.jpg

I agree fully. Especially in the winter when on skis. Or trying to climb or descend an Adirondack peak that covers 1000 vertical feet in one mile.

Had to take the pup to the vet today. Lower jaw started shaking when closing and looked like he was favoring his mouth.... but no irritation in the gums no bad teeth so might have pulled a jaw muscle or ate a bee(like he does).

Wife's freaking out about it and wants answers however I think it's just a wait and let it heal itself.

Had to take the pup to the vet today. Lower jaw started shaking when closing and looked like he was favoring his mouth.... but no irritation in the gums no bad teeth so might have pulled a jaw muscle or ate a bee(like he does).

Wife's freaking out about it and wants answers however I think it's just a wait and let it heal itself.

Interesting, I never knew it to be an issue. I've had many dogs, large and small, over the years. Every single one has had the occasional lower jaw shakes. I've seen it in friend's dogs too. So much that I just figured it was something they do. I have noticed that it's usually after eating, especially a particularly chewy treat (jerky, etc). So the 'pulled' jaw muscle could be a part of it. Keep us posted and maybe @Onkel_Udo has had experience with this with the rescues and such.

Keep us posted and maybe @Onkel_Udo has had experience with this with the rescues and such.

It was new to me as well. The closest I ever had was our dog that had her lower jaw repaired on both sides after being broken. Her mouth would hang partially open even when not panting at times...but those time were also when she seemed to loose binocular vision and run into things (skull was broken in two places at the same time as the jaw). I always assumed it was more a neurological misfire.

Couple newer pics of the new pup "Brutus". My brother also decided to adopt one of the females (one with the white feet) "Lucy"

He is ferocious.
2016-04-27 04.27.24.jpg
2016-04-27 04.28.24.jpg

All the pups. They are lab, golden rottie mix.
2016-04-26 18.54.46.jpg

Im so sorry for you and your family's loss HoppyDaze. I'll raise a toast to Dosia when I get home tonight.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we lose them.

We have a new pup joining our family in exactly 2 weeks as well? Your not getting yours from a nice lady in Wasilla are you?

1/2 Lab, 1/4 Merrama, 1/4 GSD?
She is in Wasilla but the mix doesn't sound the same. Lisa is the person fostering the puppies.

Forgot my phone today but My SB like to sleep upside down with the front half turned one way and the back half the other. That, or rolled up in a ball with her head under her tail like "you no see me".

I'm pretty sure I have a picture exactly like this somewhere also. He is always getting in some odd position that I could never imagine being comfortable

Latest posts

Back