Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm0qYRWQpZI&list=LLfdqC19SzdGz6z5LyDuOW1w&index=1[/ame]

I knew how it was going to end just by looking at the thumbnail. Great story, but now I have to go to the apple store to figure out why my phones gone so blurry

While we are talking about prey drive...two funny stories:

My giant fluffball of a Great Pyrenees/Collie mix has never met a stranger, rival or enemy. Loves all people, dogs, telephone poles, telemarketers, our pet rats and gerbils (ex-wife's, actually), even the mail carrier and the Vet. Wins friends and admirers everywhere she goes.

STONE COLD KILLER of squirrels. Granted, just the dumb or arrogant ones that taunt her from the top of the 8' privacy fence but once she gets them she shakes them unconscious before bashing their heads against a fence post...then prances around the yard.

MJ, my Catahoula mix that passed about a year ago, had a thing for birds. One day at our Tulsa house I was letting her out the back door when she scared and amazed me. The back door leads onto a deck about 6'6" off the ground. She leaped from the top step catching a bird in mid air...that alone was noteworthy. She cleared the entire length of the staircase (about 9') hit the ground in a roll and came right back up the stairs to drop the bird at my feet.

This is the dog whose skull was fractured so badly the Vet had determined that her binocular vision was severely out of whack so she could not judge distance accurately. She ran into chairs and walls pretty often but a bird in mid-flight...I got this dad.

Why's there never an onion to chop when you need one?

One, kind of related question for anyone who runs with their dogs, any recommendations on special runners leashes or dog collars? I'm hoping that the Tovey Hound will learn to run with me (and not just try to trip me up like he does now when we're walking- jerk!) but I don't know if it's best to go with a special set up for running.

Well, $650 later to find that the puppy likes eating grass a bit too much. Gastric blockage from dead grass that is now visible since the snow has mostly melted. Back to leash walking until eating grass is no longer interesting.

The little guy has some issues today - his belly is really tight and just barely touching him there makes him yelp. He isn't my dog so I don't know what to do... but my brother (his human) knows now, so...

:(

The little guy has some issues today - his belly is really tight and just barely touching him there makes him yelp. He isn't my dog so I don't know what to do... but my brother (his human) knows now, so...

If there's vomitting, it's likely a blockage.

Here's us, post vet.

image.jpg

If there's vomitting, it's likely a blockage.

None of that, yet, and he ate his dinner, but is still nervous about being touched, and is shivering.

I am really worried. My brother, not so much, apparently.

:mad:

None of that, yet, and he ate his dinner, but is still nervous about being touched, and is shivering.
Having owned hound mixes over the years, seeing this and taking them to the vet in the beginning (always ended being something biological they ate that they shouldn't have). I came to have the 3 day rule. If they are still eating and drinking, I didn't start to worry till 3 days had passed. Usually by then, whatever they had eaten had passed too.
But every instance can be different.

My mother bought me a screen door so all the puppies can help brew

Wally used to move a Zipwall backed up but a 2'x 8' barrier if I was on the other side...or an ezup tied down by 4 x 80# spare tires, etc, etc...that screen would not even phase him.

That said...If I was there all he wanted to do was lie nearby...looks like a popular pastime.

I miss that old fart. He did once set his tail on fire in the burner...just kind of looked at me like "this is happening...do you have a plan?"

Having owned hound mixes over the years, seeing this and taking them to the vet in the beginning (always ended being something biological they ate that they shouldn't have). I came to have the 3 day rule. If they are still eating and drinking, I didn't start to worry till 3 days had passed. Usually by then, whatever they had eaten had passed too.
But every instance can be different.

That I can understand - when I had Labs, they would do sort of the same thing, and then end up passing whatever. But they never had a tender belly, and Tyler (yes, that's the dog's name, *sigh*) yelps if you barely touch his stomach & is shivering. He's a miniature Dachshund, BTW.

He's my brother's dog, so he gets to take care of him. I just hope it isn't something bad, as I hate seeing the little guy distressed & in pain!

My mother bought me a screen door so all the puppies can help brew

Nice. I doubt that screen would keep my dog in the garage, though.
That I can understand - when I had Labs, they would do sort of the same thing, and then end up passing whatever. But they never had a tender belly, and Tyler (yes, that's the dog's name, *sigh*) yelps if you barely touch his stomach & is shivering. He's a miniature Dachshund, BTW.

He's my brother's dog, so he gets to take care of him. I just hope it isn't something bad, as I hate seeing the little guy distressed & in pain!

Sounds like it could be gastric torsion, which needs immediate attention. Hope he doing ok.

Why's there never an onion to chop when you need one?

One, kind of related question for anyone who runs with their dogs, any recommendations on special runners leashes or dog collars? I'm hoping that the Tovey Hound will learn to run with me (and not just try to trip me up like he does now when we're walking- jerk!) but I don't know if it's best to go with a special set up for running.

I run with my golden doodle (I know... fluffy girl dog. The wife is allergic to dander) She has a bad habit of pulling on her leash on runs. I purchased the gentle leader. A loop slips over the snout and it clips behind their head. Anytime she tries pulling away it gently pulls her head aside and she slows back down. She still likes to be in front but I no longer feel as though she is walking me!

View attachment 1457894018673.jpg

I run with my golden doodle (I know... fluffy girl dog. The wife is allergic to dander) She has a bad habit of pulling on her leash on runs. I purchased the gentle leader. A loop slips over the snout and it clips behind their head. Anytime she tries pulling away it gently pulls her head aside and she slows back down. She still likes to be in front but I no longer feel as though she is walking me!

We tried one of those things on him but he ceased acting like a dog and started pretending to be a hooked marlin fighting for his life on the end of the lead!
I have a colleague who said that their dog did the same thing every time they tried it until he was nearly two. If nothing else that says something for their perseverance!

Gentle leader is the only way I can walk my Dane. Been practicing loose leash walking and he's good off and on. Hoping once his balls get cut in a month or two he'll be better. He just goes crazy sniffing things and will pull me if I let him. The gentle leader he'll still try to pull when sniffing something good, but it's easy to keep him in check. When I do just the collar he can damn near drag me around.

Little Tyler is still not feeling well, barely moving from the couch, and when he is up & walking, he'll move away from anyone near him. It's been over 3 days, and yet my brother is all "Give him a few more days, he'll be fine. The vet is just gonna guess anyway, and make me pay $100 for the visit plus some medicine that won't help".

TIL that my brother is better than a veterinarian.

If I had the money, I'd take the little guy myself. I hope this doesn't end up really hurting the dog...

We tried one of those things on him but he ceased acting like a dog and started pretending to be a hooked marlin fighting for his life on the end of the lead!
I have a colleague who said that their dog did the same thing every time they tried it until he was nearly two. If nothing else that says something for their perseverance!

It has worked well on three dogs I am/was in regular contact with. Two mine and one a friend's. It takse perseverance and getting it adjusted right...so they cannot get it off but it does not irritate them.

The ex wife tried a different brand with a similar concept and it did not work. The friend who (finally) made it work did not have the perseverance or personal discipline for the longest time. When he was finally having some sort of mental breakdown about it took the dog for a week and had him tolerating it and walking like a gentleman by the end...still did not like it for the first 15 minutes of the walk.

Some dogs may not be able to use one but outside those with no real snout (my Saint Bernard) that has not been my experience.

Little Tyler is still not feeling well, barely moving from the couch, and when he is up & walking, he'll move away from anyone near him. It's been over 3 days, and yet my brother is all "Give him a few more days, he'll be fine. The vet is just gonna guess anyway, and make me pay $100 for the visit plus some medicine that won't help".

If I had the money, I'd take the little guy myself. I hope this doesn't end up really hurting the dog...

Man that's a tough situation to be in- if the little fella is that bad there is obviously something not right with him.

Over here there are veterinary charities that run surgeries for people who need vet care but for whatever reason can't afford it- is there anything similar that you can take him to?

My dog just dove to the ground and managed to get it unclipped from the leash.

Poor puppy!

Man that's a tough situation to be in- if the little fella is that bad there is obviously something not right with him.

Over here there are veterinary charities that run surgeries for people who need vet care but for whatever reason can't afford it- is there anything similar that you can take him to?

Well, he's my brother's dog, so I can't take him anywhere. And my brother is just cheap, I guess... he'd rather risk something going wrong than take Tyler to the vet after 3+ days distressed.

I'd just take him to the vet. Then again, I don't mind playin' smack head when it matters either.

I haven't seen him eat anything, and I do not believe he has pooped in a while. But again, I am not primary care-giver, so I don't really know.

If he is not eating or not pooping, then something is seriously wrong. He needs to go to the vet.

I recently had one of my dogs not eat in the morning, and by late afternoon could not stand up, We had to put him down because when we took him to the vet, it turned out he was bleeding internally and there was no way they could stop it. He was so vibrant the day before it was sad that they could not save him.

It sucks that your brother is so not concerned about his dog. I hope it all turns out OK.

If he is not eating or not pooping, then something is seriously wrong. He needs to go to the vet.

That's what I told my brother. He was unconvinced.

The first couple of days, his belly was very tight & he yelped if you touched him there. That, thankfully, is no longer the case, but he still isn't himself.

Thanks to everyone for your concern!!! I'll get on my bro's case again tomorrow, much more insistently, if he still isn't going to take Tyler to the vet.

That's what I told my brother. He was unconvinced.

The first couple of days, his belly was very tight & he yelped if you touched him there. That, thankfully, is no longer the case, but he still isn't himself.

Thanks to everyone for your concern!!! I'll get on my bro's case again tomorrow, much more insistently, if he still isn't going to take Tyler to the vet.

You need to do the right thing, thump your damn brother, the poor dog shouldn't suffer because your brother is cheap bless

Tyler is at the vet, my brother (finally!) took him around noon. Something is definitely wrong, as they are keeping him until at least 6:45 this evening. I'll update as I know more.

Tyler is at the vet, my brother (finally!) took him around noon. Something is definitely wrong, as they are keeping him until at least 6:45 this evening. I'll update as I know more.

Glad to hear that he is finally at the vet. Let's hope he is OK. He should have gone much sooner. I hope that waiting did not make it worse.

Back