Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we could do this all day

761.jpg

What a bunch of "awwwws".

It was over due. We've all had a tough few months with our losses etc., so we needed some funny/silly pics

and after a long day of putting up with my wife and her camera.

Speaking of funny!!! "OMG can you PLEEEEEZ stop taking pictures of me, I am SO tired, I missed all 3 of my naps this afternoon!"

Puppy's first day home alone in the indoor play yard, he escapes. Not exactly sure how.

But, no accidents. He just waited till I got home to pee on the floor.

View attachment 339492

The little bastages will surprise you. I put up a baby gate to keep my latest pup in the kitchen and when I would get home he would be out in the living room. Seems he figured out that he could just jump over the gate, which I never thought he could do.

Horrible night last night. Puppy was making weird slurpy noises while eating dinner, apparently wife bought her a can of 'wet' food... wtf? I've had her on a diet of puppy food and fresh vegetables and she's been doing amazing. Well. Half an hour later, the poor girl explodes all over the office floor. Then once again an hour later. Complete mess. Her stomach just couldn't handle it. So frustrating.

Horrible night last night. Puppy was making weird slurpy noises while eating dinner, apparently wife bought her a can of 'wet' food... wtf? I've had her on a diet of puppy food and fresh vegetables and she's been doing amazing. Well. Half an hour later, the poor girl explodes all over the office floor. Then once again an hour later. Complete mess. Her stomach just couldn't handle it. So frustrating.
Oooooh, yeah....

Make changes to the diet GRADUALLY. When I switched brands of kibble, I did the transition over the course of three weeks. First week, 75% old kibble, 25% new. Then 50/50, then 25/75.

Make changes to the diet GRADUALLY.

That was the frustrating part. I don't want to change her diet, as I see no need for it. She is absolutely in love with baby carrots and other vegetables. She gets those as treats and then puppy food for lunch and dinner. Wife just randomly got it for her, assuming as a treat. Asked her not to again. Just felt like a few steps back.

That was the frustrating part. I don't want to change her diet, as I see no need for it. She is absolutely in love with baby carrots and other vegetables. She gets those as treats and then puppy food for lunch and dinner. Wife just randomly got it for her, assuming as a treat. Asked her not to again. Just felt like a few steps back.

Both of my dogs love veggies. If they hear the knife hit the chopping block they are both there in a nanosecond. So they get pieces of veg for treats. I do make spent grain dog treats that they love too.

But their main food never changes. They both do well on it and so I keep that a constant.

I have a bowl of baby carrots in the fridge now. Every time the door opens, she wants one. It's something I don't mind letting her binge on. I'll have to make spent grain treats for her with my next batch.

Don't the carrots make her fart really bad? Any time I've given a dog carrots , I've had that issue. And it ain't roses either lol.

In small quantities there does not seem to be a fart problem with my dogs. tHey only get small pieces so even if I give them a few it is usually less that a baby carrot.

Don't the carrots make her fart really bad? Any time I've given a dog carrots , I've had that issue. And it ain't roses either lol.

She did for a week or so when we first got her. I don't know if it was the carrots or just food in general since she was skin and bone. She doesn't do that now, and the two horrendous messes she made on the floor last night were the first accidents she's had in a month or more.

our dog loves carrots too, no farting from that as far as i've noticed.

For food we quite early switched from royal canin's puppy food (suggested by the breeder)
to orijen dry food.

Really is a great food, when we finally convinced my father in law to switch too for his lab, the constant fur dropping that dog had stopped within a month.

Personally I think any dogfood sold by purina and pedegree should be banned.

The pet store near me won't carry those brands or any brand that is junk.

Food is so important. I had a dog that had pretty serious skin allergies. Would not even grow hair on his belly. Just by switching to a very good brand of food, that cleared and he developed a very nice healthy coat.

For food we quite early switched from royal canin's puppy food (suggested by the breeder)
to orijen dry food.

Really is a great food, when we finally convinced my father in law to switch too for his lab, the constant fur dropping that dog had stopped within a month.

Damn! That orijen is some pricey stuff. Makes me feel better about the $60 per bag of Castor Pollux.

we don't get castor pollux in finland, but it seems a good choice of food.

I calculated the per meal cost of orijen, and it's actually similar to the per meal price of canned pedegree or such, and only 15% more per meal than the purina or pedegree dry foods, as they contain so much indigestible crap that you need to feed a lot more.

Orijin has had dome supply chain issues so we moved to Cannadae instead. That said, my dogs agree wholeheartedly with the vegetable chopping and spent grain treats concept. If dad is in the kitchen, they are in the kitchen.

to orijen dry food.

Maybe it's just the area I'm in but my Vet and obedience trainer had a lot of great things to say about Purina. Also, the vet did specifically recommend against Blue brand which is supposed to be good stuff. Apparently they spend a lot of money on advertising instead of R&D while also falsely advertising what is in the food (seems to check out too). We have been giving our little one Purina Pro Plan but we switched mama to some grain free stuff. Is there something in Pro Plan that is bad for them?

The obedience trainer also has us re-thinking flea and tick meds. He has been in the business for 30 years and swears cancer in dogs was far less common back then than it is now. It does make you wonder; what are those chemicals doing to the dog? If they get fleas, you can give them a flea bath. Our previous dog had tick fever twice even though we utilized the meds with her. Cancer is what ended up getting her at 10 years old.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-pro-plan-dog-food-dry/

A lot of vets get money/goodies from purina and/or royal canin. royal canin is the less bad of the 2, but they both spend way to much on advertising and way to little on the actual dogfood.

from the ingredients and reviews online, i cannot see what would be bad about blue brand.

A lot of websites are funded STRICLY by sponsors. The thing about my vet is if she recommends a product, she also tells us if we can find it cheaper online. This is a person who had dedicated their life to the care of animals and earned a doctorate degree along the way because of that passion. A website can be stood up by anyone looking to earn a quick buck so although that site you provided makes Purina seem like the bad guy, I would have to find something more definitive to make that decision.

The ingredients alone don't tell the story. Search for Blue Lawsuit and you will see that they admitted to false advertising. In fact, they agreed to pay out $32 million.

EDIT: That website you provided seems to be run by a dentist with no credentials at all to be providing recommendations on dog food. I have found multiple allegations of him deleting comments or banning people for speaking against his biased reviews to include this on the ripoffreport: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dogfo...advisorcom-nutrition-dogfood-Internet-1121916

He doesn't hide the fact that he's a dentist either:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/about/

Maybe it's just the area I'm in but my Vet and obedience trainer had a lot of great things to say about Purina. Also, the vet did specifically recommend against Blue brand which is supposed to be good stuff.

The obedience trainer also has us re-thinking flea and tick meds.

I think the primary thing on food, at least for the two dogs over the years that have had issues, is once you find a food they do well with...will it always be the same? Purina Pro Plan is relatively consistent at not subbing out Wheat for Oat for Barley, etc. I have not used it in years but but I am not against it. Yes, it does have more fillers than some but it is not like their puppy chow or dog chow or the generic house brand dog food.

As for the flea meds...When we lived in the South we had not choice but to be on them 9 months a year. Cancer has taken one of 11 dogs in my tenure as their caretaker. She was 15 when diagnosed. Anecdotal of course but consider the human issue with cancer...we have a lot more of it partially because we live long enough to get it...not so much the case 200 years ago when infant mortality, mothers dying childbirth and smallpox wiping out whole families. It may or may not be related to flea meds but if you think it is, move to one of the new oral med's.

Back