Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We found you in the rain so it's fitting that we lose you when it's raining.
Conan, you were one silly Bassett and loved by all. Thank You for putting up with us for the last 6 years. This Holiday season sucks!

Bassett Elf.jpg

our Howdy had a ruptured disc. neurologist in Leesburg quoted us $5000 for the surgery. we couldn't afford that, so we were saying our good-byes when our regular vet called us to let us know we could take him to Virginia Tech and it would only cost us $1700

the Howdy's a Hokie now

View attachment 323748

People laugh at me when I say I have insurance for my dog but this is exactly why. I personally can't afford 5k on a whim but would hate to lose my best friend. You never know when its going to happen either.

Conan, you were one silly Bassett and loved by all. Thank You for putting up with us for the last 6 years. This Holiday season sucks!

Very sorry to hear about Conan

Aww man.... Sorry to hear. I'll raise a glass of the nog to elf Conan

It's always hard to lose a friend, especially during the holiday season.

So Sorry!

Our Basset, Bentley was one of the best dogs ever. It's just a matter of time before we get another one.

Great pic! Sorry for your loss. Cheers to Conan!

I hope our old girl keeps going for a while. She's 13 and spends most of her time sleeping. It's gonna hit us all, especially our 13yr old daughter, pretty hard. The dog and her grew together.

ours is the same, got the squeeker out of her new toy within half an hour.

The only toy that has survived so far is my wife's childhood hot-bottle cover fluffy dog.

My dog Bruno always removed the eyes first then the head of any stuffed animal he was given as a pup. Now that he is eight years old he simply parades around proudly showing off his new toy for a minute then wants to trade it for a biscuit.

The wife's family is here for Christmas. This includes all their dogs: A blonde lab, black lab, mini Australian shepherd, and a white lab. This is on top of our Rottweiler and our 9 month old baby. Its a little crowded but a lot of fun. The dogs are out aerating the lawn with their new toys. It was fun taking the mini out on my run this morning, my dogs getting too old to keep up with me.

Sorry for your loss, I've had a full breed and my latest is half,love them even though the other half is a bit of a jerk:D

14-01-07-00437.jpg

Quick question for you experienced dog owners- what did you do to get your pup over the howling/crying at night. Ours is coming along well apart from the night howling when it's bed time. He'll be sleeping in his bed crate in the kitchen but as soon as we close the kitchen door for the night we're subjected to a good 1/2 hour of persistent barking and howling. Whats the trick to break him of this habit?

Quick question for you experienced dog owners- what did you do to get your pup over the howling/crying at night. Ours is coming along well apart from the night howling when it's bed time. He'll be sleeping in his bed crate in the kitchen but as soon as we close the kitchen door for the night we're subjected to a good 1/2 hour of persistent barking and howling. Whats the trick to break him of this habit?

Unfortunately there's no easy trick. Try high-value treats (I use pieces of hot dogs generally) that you only give him in the crate. Main thing is build it up incrementally if you can. Crate him during the day when youre off and close the kitchen door for a few seconds, a minute, two minutes, five minutes etc. Pup just needs to know youre coming back. If he starts howling make sure you ignore him until there's a break. Even coming and saying no etc is reaffirming.

. If he starts howling make sure you ignore him until there's a break. Even coming and saying no etc is reaffirming.

I can second this. Do not acknowledge bad behavior in a passive situation.

Scent item (old, used bath towel is my preference), noise (quiet radio) and maybe not closing that kitchen door...all can help.

The more the dog sees the crate as a sanctuary, the less this becomes an issue. After a few weeks of the dog being successfully crated at night (as well as day sessions), most can have the door left open and they will choose the crate unless other dogs are allowed in the bed (not suggested if the dog is not 100% house trained).

You know the ultimate solution is still an experienced dog and the new dog crated together. Not an option right now, but one for the back of your mind gong forward.

Well, the Baggins clan spent the afternoon at the Humane Society and found a new family member.
Meet Pango, a 2yr old Shar Pei mix. He's sweet and quiet but loaded with energy. So far he and Dyna are cool. There's been one quick bark on her part but otherwise all good.

It can take well over a year for dogs to re-establish pack hierarchy when a new member is introduced. It is not a forced process, usually, rather very slow and bit by bit convincing.

My russell girl still goes flying through the air with a bark to land with her teeth around the neck of our rat terrier although she has generally deferred to him now and stopped trying to be the boss of the house.

When he gets used to your family, might take well over 3 months, he will drop the shy act and they will have their scraps. I just let mine scrap it out, as long as I don't detect anger, and sometimes they go at it for almost an hour. I think it's pretty important to not interfere and just let them sort things out on their own.

Well, the Baggins clan spent the afternoon at the Humane Society and found a new family member.
Meet Pango, a 2yr old Shar Pei mix. He's sweet and quiet but loaded with energy. So far he and Dyna are cool. There's been one quick bark on her part but otherwise all good.

View attachment 325547View attachment 325548

Good luck with him! Shar-Pei is the jerk half of mine seen last page,If I want to be fancy I call him a Ba-shar, tough dogs but loyal, I had a room-mate years ago that had a pure breed.

I can second this. Do not acknowledge bad behavior in a passive situation.

Scent item (old, used bath towel is my preference), noise (quiet radio) and maybe not closing that kitchen door...all can help.

The more the dog sees the crate as a sanctuary, the less this becomes an issue. After a few weeks of the dog being successfully crated at night (as well as day sessions), most can have the door left open and they will choose the crate unless other dogs are allowed in the bed (not suggested if the dog is not 100% house trained).

You know the ultimate solution is still an experienced dog and the new dog crated together. Not an option right now, but one for the back of your mind gong forward.

We've placed a radio in there a couple of nights ago but that doesn't seem to have made much difference yet. His crate is open all the time- he'll quite happily go and rest in there during the day. It's only at night when the kitchen door is closed that he goes Bat Shirt crazy. I think high value treats and building that duration up is the plan. Sadly leaving the kitchen door open isn't an option as he'd have free roam of the house - the rest of the ground floor is open plan. A baby gate is on order to stop his mad dashes for upstairs when we leave him in the lounge area lol

Could you try a baby gate instead of closing a door? I seem to remember one of our dogs going nutso when a door was closed, but was totally cool with a baby gate blocking their way.

Not sure it has happened in recent memory but managed to have all four dogs on the couch at once...snoring. Mind you, this is unsynchronized sawing of logs from 380#'s of fluff. Two were evening chasing rabbits.

Let him sleep with you! Seriously, I sleep with two beagles and one wife. It's pretty cozy in the wintertime.

Latest posts

Back