Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She hates having her picture taken. I caught her off-guard.

I have to do the same with my dog because usually when I point a camera at him he runs up to me to see what I'm doing. Just can't get a candid picture of him unless he's laying down or I'm really quick and snap it before he comes running.

I just asked for some follow up on the claim that cutting tails off dogs prevents some medical problem later in life. I'd like to hear an example of some rampant tail disease that strikes down dogs for no reason.

Next time my lab opens her tail up from hitting it on things in excitement we may have to cut it off. She literally sprays blood over the house and it's almost impossible to heal.

Relevant FACTS

I can definitely see it in her, does she shed at all? The only hair Stella loses is when I comb her.

Have a small pack of black lab puppies waiting to find a new home here. Plus my 2 adult english labs. Here is a pic of one of the pups.
A good friend of mine's dog just had a litter of pups - 8 days old right now. All cute little black labs. Sooooo tempting to have her bring one of them to me when it's time, but right now would be just about the worst possible time for me to add another four legged friend.

Ultimately, working dogs tails weren't docked in the first place for aesthetic reasons. Farmers, gamekeepers etc couldn't care what the hell a dog looked like, as long as it could work. Tail injuries can be nasty, and are common in working dogs, so docking was used to prevent them.
The tails aren't chopped off, btw, they have a tight band placed around them when the pups are a couple of days old, and they just die and fall off.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Ultimately, working dogs tails weren't docked in the first place for aesthetic reasons. Farmers, gamekeepers etc couldn't care what the hell a dog looked like, as long as it could work. Tail injuries can be nasty, and are common in working dogs, so docking was used to prevent them.

Correct.

Both of my Aussies were docked, and they'd never know they even had a tail. They still wiggle their butts like crazy when they're happy :)

There's blue-merle, tailed Aussie in Ugly Kid Joe's song "Everything about you": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byEGjLU2egA

MC

Ozzy is 9mo or so now. Great dog, but definitely in his pita teenager phase. He has to be in the middle of everything and still has some paint on him from being overly curious.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393994632.451004.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393994579.110134.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ozzy is 9mo or so now. Great dog, but definitely in his pita teenager phase. He has to be in the middle of everything and still has some paint on him from being overly curious.

That's a teenager phase? My dog's about 10 now and he still has to "help" with whatever I'm doing. It's the toughest if what I'm doing puts me down on the floor. If I'm fixing the sink or something, he has to have his head right under the cupboard with me.

That's a teenager phase? My dog's about 10 now and he still has to "help" with whatever I'm doing. It's the toughest if what I'm doing puts me down on the floor. If I'm fixing the sink or something, he has to have his head right under the cupboard with me.
Try changing the oil in your car with a 70 lb lab laying on your chest.

Nah, he's always had to be in the middle of things. By his 'teenager phase' I just meant he's hitting that phase around 7+ months where he's really starting to push back and test me, I'm guessing to see if he gets consistent results.

Attachments

• 2013-08-18 18.39.34.jpg
    2013-08-18 18.39.34.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 2013-08-18 18.38.14.jpg
    2013-08-18 18.38.14.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 284
Here's one of mine. He's just a little guy. 34" at the shoulders and 167 lbs.

(you don't want to see my back yard now that the snow has melted... I need a backhoe)

Dougal-1.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397514601.234642.jpg
My don's dog, Mia. 9 year old American Boxer. About 50-60 pound lapdog. She's a great pup. Very loving.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have been avoiding this thread since my Ozi (pics way back in thread) died about a month ago. His brain tumor escaped his skull and it got really bad for him. He died in my arms. It was hard but it was also his time. He lived 14 years of a great life which is pretty good for a large german shepherd. Our other shepherd Egon still hasn't quite figured out why he is alone but he is loving all the extra attention I am giving him.

Love them like its the only chance you are going to get.

I have been avoiding this thread since my Ozi (pics way back in thread) died about a month ago. His brain tumor escaped his skull and it got really bad for him. He died in my arms. It was hard but it was also his time. He lived 14 years of a great life which is pretty good for a large german shepherd. Our other shepherd Egon still hasn't quite figured out why he is alone but he is loving all the extra attention I am giving him.

Love them like its the only chance you are going to get.

RIP Oz!

CAM00107_zps1035613f.jpg

After a long compromise, and many debates, my wife and I have added this little pup to the family. I was holding out for an English Mastiff after losing our girl 6 years ago.

This is Daisey. She is a 9-week old Boerboel, a South African Mastiff. We picked her up in Buffalo last weekend.

CAM00107_zps1035613f.jpg

After a long compromise, and many debates, my wife and I have added this little pup to the family. I was holding out for an English Mastiff after losing our girl 6 years ago.

This is Daisey. She is a 9-week old Boerboel, a South African Mastiff. We picked her up in Buffalo last weekend.

Nice! I drove my kids from Buffalo NY to south carolina to visit family and they got to sit on one there when it was kids and dog night at the Charleston riverdogs baseball game. That thing was huge!

1397868210823.jpg

1397868264466.jpg

Back